Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: With rebuilding of the Off. coaching staff, I'm convinced we go offense 1st round

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    If anything, the hiring of Sparano means we should be talking a lot more about David DeCastro.

Sparano is ground and pound, through and through and he loves him some OL.

You're telling me this guy wouldn't love to have the best interior OL prospect to come out in over a decade? There's a damn good chance that DeCastro is the best player available at #16 as well.

I'd love to have Richardson, but it just seems like a pipedream. Don't see him falling out of the Top 10-12.
    UT what are I'm gonna do with you... we're so close yet so far from meeting on Island "win".

Jets Oline in 2012 (probably
    D'Brick A
    Mangold A+
    The Slaus B
    Moore B-
    Turner B-
    other garbage.

Jets WRs
    Holmes (WHO KNOWS)
    Kerley B
    nothing.

Jets RBs
    Greene B
    McKnight B-/B+
    LT C+

QB
    Sanchez ... B+ with a full letter spread
    McArm

....and we should talking OLine?!? Are you outta your mind?

How about Sporano was brought in to MAKE THE MOST out of our already above average Oline... 1st round pick on a fcking GUARD...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    UT what are I'm gonna do with you... we're so close yet so far from meeting on Island "win".

D'Brick A
    Mangold A+
    The Slaus B
    Moore B-
    Turner B-
    other garbage.

Jets WRs
    Holmes (WHO KNOWS)
    Kerley B
    nothing.

Jets RBs
    Greene B
    McKnight B-/B+
    LT C+

QB
    McArm

How about Sporano was brought in to MAKE THE MOST out of our already above average Oline... 1st round pick on a fcking GUARD...
    This team is dead set on ground and pound football and there's the very real possibility that DeCastro is the best available player when we go on the clock at #16.

What if Jeffery AND Floyd are off the board? It's definitely possible. Do we massively reach on a guy like Sanu or Wright? I wouldn't.

Personally, I'd be thrilled if we took DeCastro then picked up a wideout like Nick Toon or Dwight Jones in round 2.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    a word about Decastro

he's become the early consensus mock pick for Boys at 14

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...d-decastro.ece

granted we are early enough than anything can change... but it's out there

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Just can't see us going guard in 1st round with Vlad (I know) and the JEts being fairly high on Schlauderaff

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JonEJet View Post
    Just can't see us going guard in 1st round with Vlad (I know) and the JEts being fairly high on Schlauderaff
    Jesus... I feel dizzy after reading this.

If I'm Tanny I put Sparano and the new OL coach in a room.

I hand them all the Vlad footage from the past few years and tell them to come to my office when they're done.

No words... simply a thumb up or down.

If it's down he can throw an Olympic discus for Haiti.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    decastro is the only OL i would want in the first round

signing bowe would be awesome but very unlikely considering the money invested in holmes

Floyd is still my favorite pick at 16 (sorry but no chance trent is going to be there), but I don't see it making sense if we brought in sparano to get back to ground and pound football

if decastro (and richardson obvi) is gone, I'm hoping for Floyd or Upshaw as the pick, while praying that we don't reach for Sanu or Barron

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

D'Brick A
    Mangold A+
    The Slaus B
    Moore B-
    Turner B-
    other garbage.

Jets WRs
    Holmes (WHO KNOWS)
    Kerley B
    nothing.

Jets RBs
    Greene B
    McKnight B-/B+
    LT C+

QB
    McArm

You def have a bias towards WR's but I'm with you. We NEED another target for Mark!!!!!

We can reload the OL in FA and use a mid round pick to develop some OL depth

(Ducasse gets 1 year to put it together with Sparano and the new OL coach, if he's still a matador then cut his ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Let's get Michael Floyd then focus on defense, OL and a blocking TE.......

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    This team is dead set on ground and pound football and there's the very real possibility that DeCastro is the best available player when we go on the clock at #16.

What if Jeffery AND Floyd are off the board? It's definitely possible. Do we massively reach on a guy like Sanu or Wright? I wouldn't.

Personally, I'd be thrilled if we took DeCastro then picked up a wideout like Nick Toon or Dwight Jones in round 2.
    Sporano shouldn't need DeCass (yikes you say Ducasse, I say DeCass). He honest to godly should be able to produce a run game with 3/4 of our O-line plus maybe a little help from FA, and mid round picks. Ssssseriously. Our oline is in a 1000x better shape than other areas of offense.

If Floyd and Jeffrey are gone (and wright does not grade out) then its the next man up at a position of need. Barron. Burfict. Upshaw. trade back. Z brown. whatever.

...but god help me if we pass on one of them 2 for a fcking guard.

Quote Originally Posted by chrebetCT1192 View Post

Floyd is still my favorite pick at 16 (sorry but no chance trent is going to be there), but I don't see it making sense if we brought in sparano to get back to ground and pound footballn
    I think it's the opposite. It's like saying here tony - here's the makings of near capital oline, make it work. the talent's there.

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    You def have a bias towards WR's but I'm with you. We NEED another target for Mark!!!!!

We can reload the OL in FA and use a mid round pick to develop some OL depth

(Ducasse gets 1 year to put it together with Sparano and the new OL coach, if he's still a matador then cut his ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Let's get Michael Floyd then focus on defense, OL and a blocking TE.......
    I do have a bias yes, but for once (well for once for rrreeaal) my bias and this team's needs finally line up.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think some people are misinterpreting "ground and pound."

The 49ers were "ground and pound" this year, I think we would all agree. Their run:pass split was 53:47, and they were playing with a lead most of the time.

The Dolphins were a perfect 50:50 this year.

The one year that Sparano called the plays in Dallas, the Cowboys were 48:52 (run:pass). That was with a first year starter in Romo, who threw 13 INTs and had 9 fumbles in 10 games started.

We're not keeping Plax and we NEED another starting receiver. Ground and Pound still means that you're throwing the ball 50% of the time. We're not going to be the Broncos, we're just going to run the ball more often than we did this year: 45:55 (run:pass). I expect to see us right around 50:50 next year, slightly tipping towards the run or pass depending on if we spend more time leading or trailing.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sporano shouldn't need DeCass (yikes you say Ducasse, I say DeCass). He honest to godly should be able to produce a run game with 3/4 of our O-line plus maybe a little help from FA, and mid round picks. Ssssseriously. Our oline is in a 1000x better shape than other areas of offense.

If Floyd and Jeffrey are gone (and wright does not grade out) then its the next man up at a position of need. Barron. Burfict. Upshaw. trade back. Z brown. whatever.

...but god help me if we pass on one of them 2 for a fcking guard.

I think it's the opposite. It's like saying here tony - here's the makings of near capital oline, make it work. the talent's there.

I do have a bias yes, but for once (well for once for rrreeaal) my bias and this team's needs finally line up.
    RT, S can be handled in FA and pickup a WR preferable a healthy and cheap Braylon.
    Draft TR if he's there, if not take Ingram if available or trade down for Miller and take Curry/OLB passrusher in the second. Or even targetting someone like LaMichael James in the mid rounds if we take OLB with high draft pick. Good knows we need some explosiveness at both RB and OLB

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's the way I'm leaning. We need to establish an identity again.

There's no doubt that Rex wants us to revert back to our ground and pound roots. The hiring of Sparano basically solidified that.

If we want to take the pressure off Sanchez and keep our defense fresh, then having a strong OL and running game in the only way to go.

I'd cut Moore (which saves us roughly $3 mill), sign a solid RT like Demetrius Bell or Levi Brown, draft DeCastro and move Slauson over to RG where I think his talents are better utilized.

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    LG David DeCastro
    C Nick Mangold
    RG Matthew Slauson
    RT Demetrius Bell

Looks pretty damn good to me.
    Yep! Completely agree. You're now rock solid across the entire line. Slauson is not as much a liability at RG and although solid you have the god-forbid-chance Vlad eventually sees the light and you can stick him in at a more natural position of RG. I digress though, even if Vlad is just a bust and cut, still a very solid if not potentially great OL.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bigalbarracuda View Post
    Jesus... I feel dizzy after reading this.

If I'm Tanny I put Sparano and the new OL coach in a room.

I hand them all the Vlad footage from the past few years and tell them to come to my office when they're done.

No words... simply a thumb up or down.

If it's down he can throw an Olympic discus for Haiti.

Moore, Slauson and Hunter have all been on record saying to paraphrase, "we're just holding down the fort til' he's ready"...."most physically gifted OL on the team, still learning though" yadda yadda. I'm not trying to stick up for Vlad I'm just saying you never know.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vlad = RG of le futuro (in my head).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    Moore, Slauson and Hunter have all been on record saying to paraphrase, "we're just holding down the fort til' he's ready"...."most physically gifted OL on the team, still learning though" yadda yadda. I'm not trying to stick up for Vlad I'm just saying you never know.
    Hunter holding down the fort, that's like Rebels protecting Atlanta in the Civil War.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    2 questions for the guys who know the o-line prospects well:

Who is the better prospect, Jonathan Martin or David Decastro? I see them both in the top 15 of every mock Ive seen.

Also, how does Decastro compare to guys like Iupati?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    If anything, the hiring of Sparano means we should be talking a lot more about David DeCastro.

Sparano is ground and pound, through and through and he loves him some OL.

You're telling me this guy wouldn't love to have the best interior OL prospect to come out in over a decade? There's a damn good chance that DeCastro is the best player available at #16 as well.

I'd love to have Richardson, but it just seems like a pipedream. Don't see him falling out of the Top 10-12.
    I wouldn't mind taking a OT in the 1st round at all.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri_0515 View Post
    I wouldn't mind taking a OT in the 1st round at all.
    LT and RT are almost completely different positions so you need to distinguish here.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    LT and RT are almost completely different positions so you need to distinguish here.
    I wouldn't mind taking a RT in the first round at all. Possibly trade down.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    just because they revamped the offensive coaching staff doesn't mean they will draft offense.

drafted players often take years to develop.

new coaches usually have "their guys" that fit their system. I suspect they go heavy in free agency on offense.

Pick up an RT and WR and leave the draft for defense first and rb/blocking te/wr sleepers later

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    2 questions for the guys who know the o-line prospects well:

Who is the better prospect, Jonathan Martin or David Decastro? I see them both in the top 15 of every mock Ive seen.

Also, how does Decastro compare to guys like Iupati?
    DeCastro

Martin is a solid LT prospect, DeCastro is an elite OG prospect. There's a reason why this guy could end up going in the Top 12 as a guard. He's the best interior OL to come out in over a decade. Basically a guarantee to start from day one and be a consensus pro-bowler over the course of his career. Having him, Brick, and Mangold holding down the leftside would be incredible. Think the Hogs of the 80's.

Iupati is strong as sh*t and had mad skills as a mauling roadgrader coming out, but he wasn't nearly as technically sound as DeCastro is.
    Last edited by Untouchable; 01-12-2012 at 01:52 PM.