Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: With rebuilding of the Off. coaching staff, I'm convinced we go offense 1st round

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Bay Ridge Jet View Post
    2 questions for the guys who know the o-line prospects well:

Who is the better prospect, Jonathan Martin or David Decastro? I see them both in the top 15 of every mock Ive seen.

Also, how does Decastro compare to guys like Iupati?

Hard to compare Martin and DeCastro directly. DeCastro will be a sure-fire pro bowl caliber guard for several years in the NFL. Martin's role is very much up in the air. First of all, people doubt Martin can actually play LT in the NFL, which makes him poor value for a top 15 pick. To pile on top of that, Martin may need to transition to G. I could see Martin dropping well out of the top 10...and becoming a fairly realistic possibility for the Jets.

That being said I think DeCastro is a near lock to go to Dallas unless they go with CBs Kirkpatrick/Dennard/Jenkins. I'd also much prefer addressing RT with free agency or a later pick in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Hard to compare Martin and DeCastro directly. DeCastro will be a sure-fire pro bowl caliber guard for several years in the NFL. Martin's role is very much up in the air. First of all, people doubt Martin can actually play LT in the NFL, which makes him poor value for a top 15 pick. To pile on top of that, Martin may need to transition to G. I could see Martin dropping well out of the top 10...and becoming a fairly realistic possibility for the Jets.

That being said I think DeCastro is a near lock to go to Dallas unless they go with CBs Kirkpatrick/Dennard/Jenkins. I'd also much prefer addressing RT with free agency or a later pick in the draft.
    if martin is considered mostly a RT, maybe he drops to the jets?

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if martin is considered mostly a RT, maybe he drops to the jets?
    If he's not a LT he's a LG...though I guess trying him at RT wouldn't kill him. I think he's similar to Clady/Duane Brown and should be fine at LT.

DeCastro isn't as good as Iupati to me, but he's still very, very solid. He's got better technique and awareness, which are as big an advantage as Iupati's pure size/athleticism/power. The draft would be a nice way to add a cheap stud OL...I do think I'd like to see RT filled by a healthy Demetrius Bell through FA.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-12-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Glad to see people are waking, smelling the coffee and realizing OL needs to be our priority in round 1 - not friggin' running back or wide receiver.

Would be good to get Rt handled in FA then stockpile on O prospects for depth and speedy WR's later in the draft

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Would be good to get Rt handled in FA then stockpile on O prospects for depth and speedy WR's later in the draft
    i think the only way they get a RT in round 1 is if they trade back. i can easily see them going BAP at either olb or wr in round 1, with an eye on RTs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Ok yeah I've convinced myself DeCastro is the best pick at 16. Dominate the run. Maybe Burfict (who actually had an off year) slips and is had in the second. Sign Bell to play RT.

That's today's daydream for me.

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    Ok yeah I've convinced myself DeCastro is the best pick at 16. Dominate the run. Maybe Burfict (who actually had an off year) slips and is had in the second. Sign Bell to play RT.

That's today's daydream for me.
    Of every player DeCastro offers the safest, most sensible option for the Jets. MAYBE they even try to kick him out at T during the Senior Bowl. He fits philosophy, he's a top player in the draft, he adds talent where they lacked talent last year...

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Of every player DeCastro offers the safest, most sensible option for the Jets. MAYBE they even try to kick him out at T during the Senior Bowl. He fits philosophy, he's a top player in the draft, he adds talent where they lacked talent last year...
    Verbatim of what we/they were saying about Mangold prior to the '06 Draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Of every player DeCastro offers the safest, most sensible option for the Jets. MAYBE they even try to kick him out at T during the Senior Bowl. .
    decastro won't be at the Senior Bowl, he's a junior

also should be noted the Chiefs at 11 seem very hot on him.

Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    Verbatim of what we/they were saying about Mangold prior to the '06 Draft.
    mangold went 30 overall. David Decastro is a good player but he's not 15 or 20 slots better than Mangold.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    mangold went 30 overall. David Decastro is a good player but he's not 15 or 20 slots better than Mangold.
    Mangold was considered best at given position and the most sure fire first round lock of the draft. So help me god if threads go back that far I said it myself prior to the draft. Really no need to debate the 14 slot difference as it wasn't my point other than the correlation of what Much was saying and what was being said about Mangold. Sure fire locks, best at position and by a landslide. It was partially in jest but I was being serious too.