Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cordy Glenn Interview - OG from UG

All League

Cordy Glenn Interview - OG from UG

Cordy Glenn Interview

January 10, 2012

In the scouting world there is something known as the "Planet Theory", which essentially states that there are a finite number of people on the planet with a certain rare blend of size and athleticism. Consider Georgia's Cordy Glenn an official member of that group. One of this year's top senior prospects and a potential first round pick, Glenn is a 6-5 and 348 pound mauler with outstanding brute strength as well as nimble feet. A four-year starter in the SEC, Glenn has experience at both guard and tackle and has elicited comparisons to guys such as Shawn Andrews and Andre Smith. With his college career complete Cordy is in the midst of preparing for the rigorous pre-draft process but was kind enough to take some time out of his extremely busy schedule for this interview with Draft Countdown's Scott Wright.

Scott Wright: What is your accurate height, weight and forty time?

Cordy Glenn: I’m not sure on the last two but I’m 6-6 though.

Scott Wright: After playing guard for three seasons you moved to left tackle as a senior. What was that experience like and what was the most difficult aspect of the transition?

Cordy Glenn: It was just having more space to block. I got off to a rough start but got better every week and kept working at the small things to polish my game. By the end of the season I had improved quite a bit.

Scott Wright: There are many who feel you are potentially capable of playing four positions at the next level. Do you have a preference or opinion on where you will ultimately wind up playing in the NFL?

Cordy Glenn: I think I’m going to be a tackle. I’m not sure about left or right, but I honestly think that I’m versatile and can play multiple positions.

Scott Wright: You had an opportunity to go pro after your junior season. What kind of feedback did you receive from the NFL’s Underclassmen Advisory Panel at that time and why did you decide to stay in Athens?

Cordy Glenn: It wasn’t necessarily the NFL, it was more of me just wanting to have a better opportunity for me and my family. I felt like coming back and playing tackle my senior year would be best for me.

Scott Wright: How would you describe your game to someone who has never seen you play? What are your greatest strengths as a football player and what area do you need to work on the most?

Cordy Glenn: I would say my strengths would be my confidence, strength and just playing with attitude. I don’t know if I have a horrible weakness, but there is still a lot I can work on.

Scott Wright: What current NFL offensive lineman do you most admire and who do you think you compare favorably to?

Cordy Glenn: I would say Walter Jones. I don’t know if there is anybody I’ve looked at and thought they were exactly like me. Maybe either one of the tackles from the Ravens because they are both pretty big guys.

Scott Wright: How would you describe your personality? Is it different on the field?

Cordy Glenn: I am pretty laid back and reserved off the field, but I’m a football player and know what I have to do and where my mindset needs to be in games and practices.

Scott Wright: What is your greatest football moment to date?
    Cordy Glenn: Individually it would be Georgia Tech in 2009 when we went to their place and as a team it would be beating Florida this year.

Scott Wright: What are your favorite and least favorite parts of playing football?
    Cordy Glenn: My favorite part would be the actual games and competition. My least favorite part would probably be meetings.

Scott Wright: Who was your favorite college or pro team growing up? Did you have a favorite player?

Cordy Glenn: I actually just rooted for the home team, the Falcons, but I’m not really a fan of anyone at the moment.

Scott Wright: Is there one younger player at Georgia that you see developing into a star, either at the college or pro level?

Cordy Glenn: A lot off the defense. Jarvis Jones (OLB, Sophomore), Bakari Rambo (S, Junior), Shawn Williams (S, Junior), Alex Ogletree (ILB, Sophomore), all those guys.

Scott Wright: Who is the best opposing player you have faced during your career?

Cordy Glenn: That’s a good question. We have so many great players in the SEC that it’s hard to single out just one.

Scott Wright: What current pro are you looking forward to going up against in the NFL?

Cordy Glenn: I feel like every week is going to be a challenge in the NFL because everybody is equally qualified and great players. I look forward to going against everybody really.

Scott Wright: What advice would you give to the 18-year-old version of yourself if you could go back in time?

Cordy Glenn: I really don’t have anything because I haven’t gotten in any trouble or anything.

Scott Wright: What do you plan to do once your playing career is over?

Cordy Glenn: I could see myself working for a recreation center, helping out younger kids and the youth. Just playing sports and helping them stay out of trouble.

Scott Wright: When you get your first NFL paycheck what is the first thing you will buy?

Cordy Glenn: Probably something for my family and those close to me.

Scott Wright: In your daily life, what are the best and worst things about being 6-5 and 350 pounds?

Cordy Glenn: Nobody really says anything or messes with you. The worst? Probably being on those buses when it’s really crowded, that’s pretty bad.

Scott Wright: What is the most embarrassing song on your iPod? Any Bieber in there?

Cordy Glenn: I have R&B but nothing too embarrassing. I don’t have any Justin Bieber in my iPod.

Scott Wright: You are going to play in the Senior Bowl later this month. What are you hoping to prove to scouts in Mobile, AL?

Cordy Glenn: That I’m a dominant player and that I can play multiple positions.

Scott Wright: Do you know what position or positions you will be working at during the Senior Bowl week or is that something you just find out when you get there?

Cordy Glenn: I will just find out when I get there.

Scott Wright: It’s still early but do you have any goals in mind when it comes to the NFL Draft (i.e. Round 1, Top 3 Rounds, etc.)?

Cordy Glenn: Obviously I want to go Round 1. Who wouldn’t. That’s what you try to strive for, the best.

Scott Wright: I really appreciate the time. Take care and best of luck.

This is a guy to keep an eye on, combine workout, pro-day etc as the draft approaches

this could be a RT solution

All League
    BA-BUMP!

All Pro
    I know he played tackle Senior year but obviously you'd prefer that a guy had more experience at the position he's projected to play at a much steeper level of competition. Sounds a little bit like a project which we might not have the time for.

It reminds me of Branden Albert a little, though he only played guard at UVA.

Baller. Better T prospect than G prospect too...Really underrated right now, and probably should go right around where the Jets make their pick.

i've heard he's better off at guard where he can dominate, since he may not be able to keep up with speed guys on the edge.

but if he's a legit RT, then i wouldn't mind if the jets took him at 16. worst case, he's an ok RT and they switch him to RG and he's awesome.

Say no at 16, I can't believe there won't be a better alternative. Unless you are looking at a very special top notch guy you are not fixing the RT position this year with a rookie. Hell people on here and the jets themselves are still talking up Ducasse after two full years. I endorse going after an olineman in the 2nd round if a good one is that but not in round one and we have to sign a vet FA for RT.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Say no at 16, I can't believe there won't be a better alternative. Unless you are looking at a very special top notch guy you are not fixing the RT position this year with a rookie. Hell people on here and the jets themselves are still talking up Ducasse after two full years. I endorse going after an olineman in the 2nd round if a good one is that but not in round one and we have to sign a vet FA for RT.
    Glenn is possibly a top notch guy...Huge, athletic, experienced, tested, versatile, intelligent...We're talking complete package...Possibly I'm just in a really good mood the past couple of days, but Glenn is someone I expect to see fly up le boards.

I think if you find the RIGHT rookie you can fix RT problem immediately...Glenn, IMO, is as good a candidate as there is and I even believe he stacks with the FA options. I actually have trouble buying that there will be significantly better and more prepped players on the board at 16...OK that's probably a lie.

Jets Insider VIP
    I wouldn't be against drafting Glenn at all.

Would be a helluva lot better than paying a guy like Carl Nicks $60+ million to play RT. I don't understand that at all.

Adams or Glenn. Whoever is there in round 2.

I have no idea why I made a separate thread, but Datko from FSU might be interesting past 16.

Glenn at # 16 is rather high and unnecessary. Better to get one in FA and draft a prospect in the later rounds

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Glenn at # 16 is rather high and unnecessary. Better to get one in FA and draft a prospect in the later rounds
    How is it unnecessary?!?!?!? DID YOU SEE the play of WAYNE HUNTER this year!

Why sign a OL FA when we'd have to pay a PREMIUM to acquire the player for a position that ALREADY has BIG $$$ tied up in ut w/Mangold, Brick, and Moore (if he's kept on board).

With the new CBA for rookie salaries it makes MORE sense to acquire talent to fill a HUGE need without having to break the bank.

It may be high @ #16, but DEF NOT unnecessary.

Sign a freeagent or trade for a rt with a middle round pick from a team that has depth

It would be really bad by us to draft a right tackle at 16 overall just by looking at who's available this draft......I mean we would be passing up big time talent at other important positions of need

Although we need a RT, there are much more productive ways in finding one.....you do not reach with high draft picks.....that is what bad franchises do

Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    It would be really bad by us to draft a right tackle at 16 overall just by looking at who's available this draft......I mean we would be passing up big time talent at other important positions of need
    there isn't a position more in need of an upgrade than RT. then olb. then safety. but RT is numero uno. whether glenn is an elite RT, i don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I wouldn't be against drafting Glenn at all.

Would be a helluva lot better than paying a guy like Carl Nicks $60+ million to play RT. I don't understand that at all.
    This. I have favored signing Nicks, but no way you switch him to tackle... completely foolish. Though I'd pass on Glenn, I think there will be better players available.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Sign a freeagent or trade for a rt with a middle round pick from a team that has depth

Although we need a RT, there are much more productive ways in finding one.....you do not reach with high draft picks.....that is what bad franchises do
    That's not what bad franchises do, it's what smart ones do.

Games are still won and lost in the trenches. A great OL can make an average QB and backfield look good. A great DL can make an average LB corps and secondary look good. It all starts up front.

Solving the RT issue through FA isn't some kind of easy fix. Even guys like Levi Brown and Jarred Gaither are going to wind up with bloated contracts. Nevermind Demetrius Bell, who is probably going to be out of our price range.

And on the opposite end, if you're going to rely on a rookie RT from day one, it might as well be a bluechip prospect instead of some mid-round project.

DeCastro most likely will be off the board by the time we pick. DeCastro and Dallas are a match made in heaven. But Mike Adams and especially Cordy Glenn are very real possibilities. I especially like Glenn. An athletic mauler in the running game who is also agile enough to hold him own in pass protection. Could develop into a pro-bowl RT for years to come and is also versatile enough to give you insurance in case someone like Brick or Moore goes down.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    That's not what bad franchises do, it's what smart ones do.

Games are still won and lost in the trenches. A great OL can make an average QB and backfield look good. A great DL can make an average LB corps and secondary look good. It all starts up front.

Solving the RT issue through FA isn't some kind of easy fix. Even guys like Levi Brown and Jarred Gaither are going to wind up with bloated contracts. Nevermind Demetrius Bell, who is probably going to be out of our price range.

And on the opposite end, if you're going to rely on a rookie RT from day one, it might as well be a bluechip prospect instead of some mid-round project.

DeCastro most likely will be off the board by the time we pick. DeCastro and Dallas are a match made in heaven. But Mike Adams and especially Cordy Glenn are very real possibilities. I especially like Glenn. An athletic mauler in the running game who is also agile enough to hold him own in pass protection. Could develop into a pro-bowl RT for years to come and is also versatile enough to give you insurance in case someone like Brick or Moore goes down.
    for a team that is committed to running the ball, getting a very good RT is important, maybe the top priority. if they can walk out of the first 3 rounds with adams/glenn, curry and a safety, they'll have improved the team more than if they take someone like ingram and then wing it on the o-line again or delude themselves that 'the starting RT is already on the roster.'

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    for a team that is committed to running the ball, getting a very good RT is important, maybe the top priority. if they can walk out of the first 3 rounds with adams/glenn, curry and a safety, they'll have improved the team more than if they take someone like ingram and then wing it on the o-line again or delude themselves that 'the starting RT is already on the roster.'
    Exactly

This is a pretty deep class for DE/OLB prospects.

We could take a guy like Glenn in the 1st round and come away with someone like Vinny Curry, Jonathan Massaquoi, or Bruce Irvin in the 2nd round.