Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Courtney Upshaw - Overrated slightly and maybe more of a 4-3 SLB.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vinny Curry is really the only guy in this draft class that strikes me as a potential double digit sack master.

Guys like Ingram and Upshaw do everything well, but nothing great.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Vinny Curry is really the only guy in this draft class that strikes me as a potential double digit sack master.

Guys like Ingram and Upshaw do everything well, but nothing great.
    which is why i think the jets won't go defense in the first round. plus, they took a defensive guy the past two years. while that's not a good reason not to do it again...

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Can sit here and wonder all day, we just don't know what the board will look like a 16, some players will rise and some will fall.

Unfortunately Brandon Jenkins of Florida State is returning, i really liked him in the second more then i did almost anyone in the first.

I think you take the best available. Vinny Curry is a second rounder. i like him but at the same time there are question marks.

Melvin Ingram would be my pick at 16. He's a fantastic athlete that can shed a couple pounds and really tear it up as a COMPLETE OLB.
    He has a lot of potential and I've seen him dominantly play behind the line of scrimmage. plays with leverage and has more pass rush moves then alot of people think i can see him being a really good one.

For more on Melvin Ingram i have a thread up, take a look if you have a moment.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    which is why i think the jets won't go defense in the first round. plus, they took a defensive guy the past two years. while that's not a good reason not to do it again...
    I agree.

Right now I think the pick is definitely going to be an offensive player. That could change as things shake up in free agency, but that's my gut feeling right now.

Richardson, Jeffery, Floyd, DeCastro

Give me one of those guys and I'll be happy.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree.

Right now I think the pick is definitely going to be an offensive player. That could change as things shake up in free agency, but that's my gut feeling right now.

with the upheaval on offense, they need to infuse talent and recommit to that side of the ball.

if they stay at 16, i'm guessing either a top OL or floyd/jeffrey.

if they are able to trade back, then i could see them taking anyone from wright to a RT to an OLB. could be a value pick if they move, say, 10 spots back.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    with the upheaval on offense, they need to infuse talent and recommit to that side of the ball.

if they stay at 16, i'm guessing either a top OL or floyd/jeffrey.

if they are able to trade back, then i could see them taking anyone from wright to a RT to an OLB. could be a value pick if they move, say, 10 spots back.
    Im not sure why anyone would think we would draft a WR in the 1st Round? Rex is a firm believer in "Ground and Pound" and just hired an O- Coordinator who shares that philosophy. It makes no sense for them to draft a WR in the 1st.

Additionally alot of money is tied up in a WR who is a cancer and the draft is deep in WRs.

Id be shocked if we took a WR in the 1st

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post
    Im not sure why anyone would think we would draft a WR in the 1st Round? Rex is a firm believer in "Ground and Pound" and just hired an O- Coordinator who shares that philosophy. It makes no sense for them to draft a WR in the 1st.

Additionally alot of money is tied up in a WR who is a cancer and the draft is deep in WRs.

i used to think that. but this is a copycat league. and if a guy is ranked high, they may do it. i can't rule it out. even when they were ground and pound and lost in the championship games, they had braylon to stretch the defense and gave them height at wr.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok three things:

1) Good call on him not being a 4-3 OLB. Mostly I am convinced he's not a stud 3-4 OLB.

2) Vinny Curry and Nick Perry are two better candidates.

3) I would take Jeffery in the first if he passes most things (mostly physical) at the combine or his pro day.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    i like Whitney Mercilus
    i dont know if its the JPP comparsions that are getting me excited...

but then again i think about gholston...our one year wonder

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree.

Agreed, what about Nick Perry/Vinny curry in the second or the intriguing darkhorse Whitney Mercilus considering he equalled Simeon Rice's college sack record??

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Agreed, what about Nick Perry/Vinny curry in the second or the intriguing darkhorse Whitney Mercilus considering he equalled Simeon Rice's college sack record??
    I think mercilus is going to go high... if he has a strong combine he might be the pick at #16

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kennyo7 View Post

You can't run all the time and if you don't want 8 men in the box from snap 1 to last snap you have to make teams pay for cheating. Ground and pound also goes out the door if you are behind in games so we certainly do need some kind of a passsing game. I would not at all be surprised if we took a WR in round 1 if we punt plaxico.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank god it is not just me. I keep watching film of him and thinking no he isn't a 3-4 OLB. He has the size but will be killed by speedy TEs and RBs. He has good read and rec skills but his tackling is lacking. I really think he'd be a better 4-3 DE. I actually have him 5th as a 3-4 OLB prospect and dont think he'd ever be anything great at OLB.

1 Zach Brown best LB in this draft hands down
    2 Melvin Ingram - Leaped onto the board in a very short time. Needs to work on his technique but has great instincts. A bit slow but if he drops a few lbs would help.
    3 Nick Perry - At only 21 Perry has a huge upside. Still has a bit to prove but is a good edge rusher teams jump on. High upside but very much a gamble.
    4 Lavonte David - Hear me out here. He is an old school LB. Tough player with excellent instincts and quick reaction time. Is in on every play. The kind of guy Pitts or NE would draft. Yes he is small but plays big. Could even be a S prospect. Either way one heck of a player. Tackled Cam Newton like 20 times in one game.

That said Bruce Irin om the 2nd looks amazing to me.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 01-13-2012 at 01:01 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    You can't run all the time and if you don't want 8 men in the box from snap 1 to last snap you have to make teams pay for cheating. Ground and pound also goes out the door if you are behind in games so we certainly do need some kind of a passsing game. I would not at all be surprised if we took a WR in round 1 if we punt plaxico.
    +1

Surely gorund & pound only really works if you are a legit threat to throw the ball.And for that you need good WR's.Unless you are running the triple option there's no point in lining up a dozen RB's....Even Tebow in Denver has a legit top WR in Thomas

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Redlichtie View Post
    +1

Surely gorund & pound only really works if you are a legit threat to throw the ball.And for that you need good WR's.Unless you are running the triple option there's no point in lining up a dozen RB's....Even Tebow in Denver has a legit top WR in Thomas
    Thomas isn't a legit top WR...not yet anyway.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    it amazed me the wealth of knowledge this board has to offer. not only about the jets, but practice squad guys and college prospects. I'm enjoying the debates going around.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    This though I might expand it to round 1 or 2. But we need to quit addressing WR like it's some menial position. It has come back to bite the Jets big time.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Thank god it is not just me. I keep watching film of him and thinking no he isn't a 3-4 OLB. He has the size but will be killed by speedy TEs and RBs. He has good read and rec skills but his tackling is lacking. I really think he'd be a better 4-3 DE. I actually have him 5th as a 3-4 OLB prospect and dont think he'd ever be anything great at OLB.

1 Zach Brown best LB in this draft hands down
    2 Melvin Ingram - Leaped onto the board in a very short time. Needs to work on his technique but has great instincts. A bit slow but if he drops a few lbs would help.
    3 Nick Perry - At only 21 Perry has a huge upside. Still has a bit to prove but is a good edge rusher teams jump on. High upside but very much a gamble.
    4 Lavonte David - Hear me out here. He is an old school LB. Tough player with excellent instincts and quick reaction time. Is in on every play. The kind of guy Pitts or NE would draft. Yes he is small but plays big. Could even be a S prospect. Either way one heck of a player. Tackled Cam Newton like 20 times in one game.

That said Bruce Irin om the 2nd looks amazing to me.
    Irvin doesn't go before round three but is a good choice from then on...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Irvin doesn't go before round three but is a good choice from then on...
    I don't think he is what the Jets are looking for. They already got a speed rusher who is pretty much useless on every other down in Maybin. Given, Irvin looks like the more well rounded pass rusher but he also looks small next to Maybin.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I don't think he is what the Jets are looking for. They already got a speed rusher who is pretty much useless on every other down in Maybin. Given, Irvin looks like the more well rounded pass rusher but he also looks small next to Maybin.
    I think Irvin is exactly what Maybin is now...They should most definitely look to upgrade from Maybin and not go backward to hopefully one day step forward.

I'm being more "vocal" about this than I'd like to be, but I really, really think Vinny Curry fits like a glove here. It makes so much sense if he's big and tall at the combine with strong workout numbers. If he was at an SEC school or some big name program in the other conferences he's getting consistent 1st round talk even before being measured and tested.