Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Courtney Upshaw - Overrated slightly and maybe more of a 4-3 SLB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    Irvin doesn't go before round three but is a good choice from then on...
    Well CBS has him as a projected mid 2nd rounder. I'd love to see him in the 3rd if he does fall. Small? Tell that to James Harrison see what he says. I'd say good size with room to build on. If you are looking to add a good blitz he'd be well worth a 2rd round. Problem is his past. He will need to score a high wonderlic and shine in an interview or yes he will drop. He will need to show he is dedicated to succeed at the next level. If not yeah he could fall but it will not be because of ability.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If we want to discuss that his straight line speed is lacking, then ok, but he rest of what is in this thread just doesn't make sense to me at all.

He is better suited to play 4-3 end? He played OLB in college. Why would he not be able to play that position in the pros?

No one is saying he is a speed rusher, but why do we need that, we have maybin already? We need someone who can play every down and thats what upshaw is.

To the poster who said "upshaw doesn't have the bend and hip flexibility of harrison"? Harrison was undrafted and cut multiple times. Did those teams/scouts miss his incredible "bend"? Harrison is a brawler-type pass rusher, not a speed guy, which is exactly what upshaw is.

Upshaw is a strong, powerful FOOTBALL PLAYER. He has the stats and experience to back up his mearurables. He is someone who can play the run on 1st and 2nd down (maybin can't right now) and then be a pass rusher out of a 2 or 3 point stance on 3rd down.

How often would he be playing "in space" in our defense? Rarely....he would be physically setting the edge with this strength or chasing from the backside, which, regardless of his timed speed, he was able to do on multiple times against LSU.

I have to disagree that he wouldn't be an excellent pick for us.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I see the exact opposite. He's huge by 3-4 OLb standards, supposedly walking around at 270. His arms are extremely long just by eyeballing.

Are you sure you're looking at the right player?
    Even if he's 270 my bigger issue is his height, possibly length, and most of all his speed. The weight would help him out as a 4-3 DE type.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I think Irvin is exactly what Maybin is now...They should most definitely look to upgrade from Maybin and not go backward to hopefully one day step forward.

I'm being more "vocal" about this than I'd like to be, but I really, really think Vinny Curry fits like a glove here. It makes so much sense if he's big and tall at the combine with strong workout numbers. If he was at an SEC school or some big name program in the other conferences he's getting consistent 1st round talk even before being measured and tested.
    Like him too, but it's hard to discount the caliber he played against. Akin to saying if Pennington had arm strength. Okay maybe not as bad cause the arm strength thing is a complete given and it is not a given that the only reason Curry was good was the bad comp (possible, but not an absolute). But you're a smart guy I think you get my point. That said I am all for Curry in the second.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Even if he's 270 my bigger issue is his height, possibly length, and most of all his speed. The weight would help him out as a 4-3 DE type.
    Maybe this guy is like Dumervil

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Maybe this guy is like Dumervil
    Dumervil went at the end of the 4th.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dumervil went at the end of the 4th.
    My comment was with respect to him being perceived to be vertically challenged and squat yet being strong and explosive, much like Dumervil, get it?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    My comment was with respect to him being perceived to be vertically challenged and squat yet being strong and explosive, much like Dumervil, get it?
    Yeah I managed to crack that tough code. I think that would be more fun to figure out if Upshaw required the same level of commitment as Dumervil.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just saw this posted my McShay....the more I read, the more I want upshaw here. There is no JPP in this draft, so to search out speed when we have a proved 3-4 OLB, who absolutely can rush the passer, would be a huge mistake for us.

Upshaw's first step is just average, but he's arguably the best hand-fighter in this group. He shows above-average upper-body strength on film, and his active hands make it difficult for offensive tackles to sustain blocks on him. There's also a lot to like about Upshaw's foot speed. At 6-2 and 271 pounds, he has the lateral quickness to keep offensive tackles off-balance and impressive finishing power as a pass-rusher.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    ProFootballWkly Pro Football Weekly
    The top prospect in Mobile this week is Alabama OLB Courtney Upshaw. Been called "a cross between Woodley & Harrison"

Evaluation:
    A tough, competitive, relentless defender with a professional makeup, Upshaw is thickly muscled and NFL-strong — jolts blockers, gets extension and plays with leverage to stack the run. Was impactful late in his junior season, flashing disruptive ability, closing speed and strong tackling. Is an average athlete, and short arms and small hands are concerning, but is a solid, winning player who projects best as a left outside ’backer in a 3-4 scheme.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/pro...ney-upshaw-41/