Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nick Toon

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

Nick Toon

I am not a draftnik, although I do enjoy College football. I was wondering what the opinion of "those that know" is on Nick Toon. Al Toon is my all time favorite Jet and I was wondering/hoping that his son would fall to us in Round 2. Any chance of that, and if he is there, do you think we would take him or do we have too many other more pressing needs? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by exiledinjersey View Post
    I am not a draftnik, although I do enjoy College football. I was wondering what the opinion of "those that know" is on Nick Toon. Al Toon is my all time favorite Jet and I was wondering/hoping that his son would fall to us in Round 2. Any chance of that, and if he is there, do you think we would take him or do we have too many other more pressing needs? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
    I think he will be there in Rd. 2.
    We have no history on taking "legacy picks". See: Marion Barber, Mickey Shuler Jr, Dan Klecko. So i doubt his last name means anything to this team.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is he talented enough to be taken in the second round at our slot if he is still there?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...2012&genpos=WR

7th ranked WR in draft.
    Projected 2nd or 3rd round.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Toon is a guy who had excellent production in college. He wont blow you away with measurables, speed etc. but he consistently got open and was Wisconsin's best receiving threat every year he was there. He is a guy I would have no problem grabbing with our 2nd Round pick. You will get production out of the kid and can at least rest easy knowing he will come to play every day of the week.(unlike some of our wr's)

Heres some highlights:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vh5XWeLch8

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Per Roto:

Nick Toon - WR - Player (he IS a player)

Amid reports that Wisconsin WR Nick Toon suffered a "significant" foot injury during his pre-draft preparation, Toon's father Al insists his son's latest injury woes are not serious.

"At this juncture, it doesn't appear to be anything serious," said Al Toon, the former longtime Jets receiver. "He should be fine." Nick missed 2011 spring practice and one game as a senior with a left foot injury, so this malady may be becoming chronic. Toon may still miss the Senior Bowl. Listed at 6-foot-3, 220 and expected to run in the 4.4s, Toon is a projected second-day pick.

Source: Wisconsin State Journal Jan 11 - 2:03 PM

Al Toon reminds me of Tanny. He could fall and WILL be a steal. Toon2 reminds me of Steve Smith in his heyday w/the Jints. Possession WR who can replace what we lost when J-Co jumped ship (he saw the writing on the wall before the season started!)
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 01-12-2012 at 02:11 AM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    If those reports are true we might have our big deep threa we've been missing since Braylon left. How are his hands though? The combine and proday will reveal his physical capabilities. If we could pick himon the 2nd day as rated by some scribes that might be quite the heist

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    i like players like Nick toon at rd 2/3 prices then some of these 1st round locks. Round 2 might actually be a little high for Nick. He might end up 3rd or 4th.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I believe he's already hurt himself training for the combine. A pop in the foot or something doing downhill sprints. Don't know how serious it is.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i like players like Nick toon at rd 2/3 prices then some of these 1st round locks. Round 2 might actually be a little high for Nick. He might end up 3rd or 4th.
    Even before the foot thing I think he was a 3rd or 4th...a steal there, but I would not use a 2nd on him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Posey instead.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't Chansi Stuckey drop to us based on a broken foot?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frankiepapa View Post
    Didn't Chansi Stuckey drop to us based on a broken foot?
    Yes he was actually a projected much much earlier then he went.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    love Nick Toon as a player but:

1- he never was and never will be a 4.4 guy...his lack of speed is obvious on film....

2- he re-injured the foot he had surgically repaired in the spring- pretty significant by any stretch...

3- 2nd round is too early for him...if the foot injury is going to be a constant issue 3rd will be too early as well...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Yes he was actually a projected much much earlier then he went.
    Stuckey was also very soft at Clemson- CJ Spiller like...Toon's game is the exact opposite- like his old mans...he got the sh!t kicked out of him that final reception in the Rose Bowl, pulled himself off the field and got back on the line...Stuckey was never that type of player at Clemson...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is Cotchery a good NFL comparison?

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want Toon!!!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Toon is a bit overrated. Most project him as a 2nd round pick, and I think that's too high for him. Re-injuring his foot recently probably won't help his draft stock.

He's an average athlete, but has great hands and is a very polished route runner. I think his game is similar to Jordy Nelson.

Overall, I think with his history of injuries, the most recent one included, probably slides him into the 3rd round, possibly later, and his ceiling in the NFL is a good #2 receiver.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    if he's there in the 3-4th you take him, not the second.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think Toon will go earlier then currently projected as a lot of the WRs in front of him have major issues to overcome. At least 3 of them have or will fail. Toon is very likely the the 4th WR off the board really. Could even be the 3rd off the board if the cards fall right for him. This is just a very deep WR class there is just a lot of different type WRs.

Blackmon will be the 1st off the board no doubt.

Michael Floyd is the consensus #2 but not a sure fire 1st rounder. His prototypical size and strength make him a high end prospect. The injury history, run-ins with the law on alcohol-related charges, and average speed could knock him off of a lot of early lists. May be best served by skipping the combine and focusing on interviews and workouts.

Sanu is a Rutgers guy and Rutgers guys dont go early. Kenny Britt is the only 1st rounder in history I think. Could very likely drop to late 2nd or early 3rd. If your not from a big school it is hard to make the 1st these days. Toon may actually be seen as the safer bet. If he struggles at all in combine drills will drop fast but needs them to stay in the 1st. This is coming from someone that loves this guy as a prospect.

Kendall Wright is short. Great talent but will not be taken early. Add in demising value of return guys he will likely fall. Could go after Toon easy. Likely a 3rd rounder really.

Alson Jeffery has a lot of what if questions attached to him. Looks big for a college WR but would be a very average pro prospect. There are a lot of concerns as to his up side. Yeah Toon could pass him if he doesn't have a few good work outs. I dont see Alson breaking into the 1st but should be an easy 2nd.

Rueben Randle after that NT game has fallen a lot. Dre Kirkpatrick owned him. Toon has a history of being clutch so I'd actually want him over Randle right now. Randle will be a high prospect but will likely be seen as a project.

Dwight Jones was shut down by a few good Ds. I'd consider him as a DB option as well thou. Great talent is not as good a prospect as Toon. He is very disciplined and be a good role player on any team.
    Last edited by Dreamers; 01-14-2012 at 08:36 PM.