Thread: Kiper's Re-Grading of Jets 2011 Draft

Veteran

Kiper's Re-Grading of Jets 2011 Draft

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft...2011-nfl-draft

(1)30Muhammad Wilkerson(3)94Kenrick Ellis(4)126Bilal Powell(5)153Jeremy Kerley(7)208Greg McElroy(7)227Scotty McKnightNew York Jets

Post-draft grade: B

Summary: I called Muhammad Wilkerson one of the best values in Round 1 after the Jets got him at No. 30. If he had stayed another year at Temple, I think we'd be talking about him as a likely top-10 pick for 2012. And although he got 16 starts, he's still developing for a defense that took a step back in 2011. Given the jump in competition from Temple's slate to the AFC East, I'd say Wilkerson held up pretty well, but is he a star in the making? Not sure. After that, Kenrick Ellis and Bilal Powell saw at least some of the field, but we can't draw any conclusions on those two yet. Jeremy Kerley got a lot of reps, caught 29 passes and looks as if he has a future in the slot. Not bad, but it's too early to say there might be a star in here. The Jets got some utility but had few picks and look a little light on ceiling for this draft unless Wilkerson jumps.

New grade: C+

Jets Insider VIP
    Don't know how you can grade a draft after one year, but seems fair as of now I suppose.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Don't know how you can grade a draft after one year, but seems fair as of now I suppose.
    You really can't, but there are some picks that blossom much sooner and pay greater immediate dividends than others (Dalton, A Smith) that provide some means for analysis, so I don't fault Kiper for trying. You'll notice he's not faulting the Jets for Wilkerson not becoming a monster in his first year.

As for his grading of the Jets, I think it's fair. The Jets' draft was probably one of the hardest to grade because only two of their picks were expected to see any real playing time (Wilk and Kerley) whereas the others were all afforded red-shirt years.

Having the 3rd and 4th rounders inactive for most of the year was not great. I have high hopes for Ellis, significantly less for Powell. It should be knocked down a full + or - due to the Sanchez coddling mcknight pick.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Having the 3rd and 4th rounders inactive for most of the year was not great. I have high hopes for Ellis, significantly less for Powell. It should be knocked down a full + or - due to the Sanchez coddling mcknight pick.
    Seriously. I know not to expect much out of a seventh rounder, but that was a seriously stupid pick. They could have picked him up as an UDFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Seriously. I know not to expect much out of a seventh rounder, but that was a seriously stupid pick. They could have picked him up as an UDFA.
    All that pick did was perpetuate the Sanchez coddling syndrome.

The more accurate picture of how the picks pan out will be this year and the following season. Wilks & Ellis play positions that typically don't blossom straight away. Kiper will have to revise his grades further in due course.

LOL I'm surprised he doesn't do this for every draft, every year. I mean he has absolutely nothing else to do as is obvious by this futile exercise.

Really? That was the weakest drafts I have ever seen. There was very little talent and we drafted late. What did he expect top ten talent? geeze. How did Cameron Heyward do in Pitts or Derek Sherrod in GB? We made out pretty good IMO.

It's way to early to judge last years class anyway especially with no training camp