Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Namath on Kay: "I can't see it/was shocked" (re: Sporano hiring)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lolepop View Post
    I'm with this guy.
    Me too, this is not the Patriots ... Super Bowl QB's have a personality and are allowed to express a personal opinion.

ps. I've seen the gif of Brady dancing, Joe's shagadelically cooler despite Brady's armful of trophies.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by auctionking View Post
    Watch some dolphin games from the last few years and you will see how bad of a hire this is.Sparano is a great guy and players love to play for him,however he detroyed the dolphins o-line and spent millions doing it, Jake Grove,lasted 1 year (signed a huge contract and I think the fins cut him)Samson Satele (wasted a rd round pick on),Donald Thomas,Joe Berger,Justin Smiley(free agent bust),Marc Colombo(horrible),Richie Incognito(signed as a free agent to replace earlier busts),Jake Long (number 1 overall pick in the draft)Pouncy 1st rd pick,Carney 1st rd pick.With all of this in three years you would think a great offensive line coach would be in the top five in rushing every year. I think they were 4 th once,and are looking to improve the position again this off season.
    I'm pretty cofident sporano was the hc, not the gm.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    Yup, in these days basically anyone with any negative to say about the Jets we hate. Even if its true.
    If he wants to be revered as this great legend, he can't turn around and mother**** the franchise that made him famous in a public forum. He's only making it worse by having the face of Jets history saying he knows better.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Parcells likes him and namath doesn't, hmmm who should I trust?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    bingo!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    The Jets offense SHOULD be ordinary.

No more cutesy pre-snap motion every damn play and reverses at the worst possible times.

Just good old fashioned, ground and pound, shove the ball up their ass offense.
    Considering that teams league wide have been calling us ordinary for years, now on both sides of the ball, I say we achieved that long ago.

I think this mentality is about, oh, a few decades late. Good luck trying to win a championship in today's NFL where through rule changes give precedence to the offense over the defense. Most teams have had head coaches smart enough to figure this out and therefore go with an all out passing attack that wins games and divisions. We don't.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigGreen View Post
    uh, yeah he did
    technically, he didn't. He played in the AFL championship and the World Championship the following year. There was no AFCC at the time

(that was part of the joke)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Namath has been right all along about the jets. I love how you guys think you know more about what goes on in football then one of te greatest players who ever lived.

Tony Sparano has never been an offensive coordinator in his life. Joe is surprised that we would hire an oc whos never been an oc before.

And joes right.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CleatMarks View Post
    technically, he didn't. He played in the AFL championship and the World Championship the following year. There was no AFCC at the time

Sorry in my rage I figured that out after I posted it, hence I deleted it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah.....I think I'm in this camp too.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by auctionking View Post
    Watch some dolphin games from the last few years and you will see how bad of a hire this is.Sparano is a great guy and players love to play for him,however he detroyed the dolphins o-line and spent millions doing it, Jake Grove,lasted 1 year (signed a huge contract and I think the fins cut him)Samson Satele (wasted a rd round pick on),Donald Thomas,Joe Berger,Justin Smiley(free agent bust),Marc Colombo(horrible),Richie Incognito(signed as a free agent to replace earlier busts),Jake Long (number 1 overall pick in the draft)Pouncy 1st rd pick,Carney 1st rd pick.With all of this in three years you would think a great offensive line coach would be in the top five in rushing every year. I think they were 4 th once,and are looking to improve the position again this off season.
    I never liked Sparano's style, too much fist-pumping with the Tom Selleck moustache. However I was hoping he could coach, I don't watch the Mammals,so I have to defer to your judgement on this.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Namath has been right all along about the jets. I love how you guys think you know more about what goes on in football then one of te greatest players who ever lived.

Tony Sparano has never been an offensive coordinator in his life. Joe is surprised that we would hire an oc whos never been an oc before.

And Joe's right.
    Well hell, we hired Herman Edwards, a d-backs coach to be a head coach ... that turned out alright ... Herms now on the Coors Light Express train.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Parcells lost his fast ball in the nineties ( Belichick is holding it in his back pocket).

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GoBigGreen View Post
    Considering that teams league wide have been calling us ordinary for years, now on both sides of the ball, I say we achieved that long ago.

I think this mentality is about, oh, a few decades late. Good luck trying to win a championship in today's NFL where through rule changes give precedence to the offense over the defense. Most teams have had head coaches smart enough to figure this out and therefore go with an all out passing attack that wins games and divisions. We don't.
    You need a very good/great QB to run a wide open offense.

We don't have one.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's not forget that people in football all have differences of opinions. Doesn't make them right or wrong necessarily, it's just their opinions. If there weren't different opinions, Rex would be HC in Baltimore right now.

Having different opinions is the way of the world. You can agree or disagree but in the end, the only proof in football comes in the form of the Lombardi Trophy and championship rings.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did Namath go to back to back AFCCs? Noooooooooo.
    It didn't take him that long. Him and the '69 Jets won the whole
    dang thing (the superbowl) on the first try. Sanchez cant touch this.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

The jets did not qualify for the playoffs in the year prior to the SB win. They finished 8-5-1 in second place. So, I think you have it backwards...SB win and then a loss in the playoffs the following year.

With all honesty Namath was extraordinarily talented, but he wasted his best years with bonehead plays and risk taking that cost the Jets dearly. In the year prior to the SB win, he blew a 17-0 to eventual division winner Houston after the Jets had a 17-0 lead throwing 6 int and 2 pick 6's. He then threw 10 int (5 in one game) in 3 losses as the Jets finshed the season on a 1-3 run. Seems he was more interested in chasing his 4000 yard season than winning football games.

BTW after being the "hero" of SB III ( a game in which Matt Snell and the D were the real most valuable players), the Jets won the division and met the Chiefs in the conference playoff where the great Joe Namath was 14/40 for 164 yards and 4 ints in a 13-6 loss to KC.

I just think the record should be complete. Namath is not some sort of football genius. He didn't understand D's. He was super talented and rode his physical skills win, lose, or draw.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gangrene View Post
    Parcells lost his fast ball in the nineties ( Belichick is holding it in his back pocket).
    First off Namath lost his fastball in the 70's.

Second, what is Bellichick's record without Parcells or tom Brady by his side? Want to match up Sparano's record in Miami with Bellichick's record in Cleveland? Didn't think so.

And Parcells in Dallas drafted Ware and Romo and his drafts for the Jets were pretty amazing as well.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Namath is wrong about almost everything he predicts after his Superbowl prediction.

He likes making himself out to be more knowledgeable about football than he actually is.

Times have changed, Mr. Namath.

You mean other than the fact that he's been spot on correct with just about everything he's said about the Jets this season?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In all seriousness, why do we have to give a f*ck about what Namath says?

Sure he won a SB, but that doesn't make his opinion golden. This idolization of Namath needs to stop.....