Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Namath on Kay: "I can't see it/was shocked" (re: Sporano hiring)

Quote Originally Posted by revischrist View Post
    Parcells likes him and namath doesn't, hmmm who should I trust?

Parcells was the best thing that ever happened to this franchise. That said, he also recommended Al Groh and Terry Bradway. He is far from infallible.

Veteran
    ya know, he has nothing nice to say about this team. I used to love him, but now I am sick of him. Was " I don't care about the team struggling" a freudian slip. he is a jealous f*#k.

Hay Broadway Joe, go have a few drinks and hit on some more reporters.

All League
    does this guy ever stfu

All League
    Well that answers the question. Great hire Jets. If that idiot Namath doesn't like it, they did well.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Wrong about everything, huh? Well, STFU.

1) Namath wears the ring, he might as well have made it. Respect.

2) More importantly, Namath was sounding an alarm about 2011 - and was on point - before any other public figure was.

Namath had said he was alarmed by the way the Jets lost to the Oakland Raiders on Sunday afternoon, and questioned Ryan's team's preparation during a Monday interview on ESPN 1050's "The Michael Kay Show."

"It wasn't disheartening so to speak," Broadway Joe said of the Jets' 34-24 setback in Oakland on Sunday, their first loss of the season. "It's rather alarming is the way I'm looking at it.

"It starts at the top. Coach Rex Ryan I think has been doing a great job getting the team to two (AFC) Championship Games. But if there's one thing about the athlete, if you keep telling him how good he is, he's going to start believing it, to the point that he may not be preparing not quite the way he should. He may be losing some respect for the other team."

How true were those words? And spoken after the Jets had only lost a single game.

I haven't noticed any threads saying "maybe we should have heeded Joe Namath" ... because what's he ever done for the franchise anyway?

3) Nailed Kolber. Joe eventually claimed the prize. He told me this in confidence, I'd appreciate it if this info did not leave this thread.
    Gotta say I agree. Joe was pretty spot on about this season.

And I can't figure out why I should just love Sprano? I thought he was a bit of a dope, and was always happy to see him on miami's sideline messing things up.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I'm a believer in greatness being achieved by doing ordinary things with perfection. I'd love to see the Jets run an ordinary offense with such precision that it can not be stopped. I'm pretty sure these methods worked out ok for NJ' own Vinnie Lombardi.
    Complete agreement.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    The Jets offense SHOULD be ordinary.

No more cutesy pre-snap motion every damn play and reverses at the worst possible times.

Just good old fashioned, ground and pound, shove the ball up their ass offense.
    +1

No more lining up the fullback at receiver only to have him run to his normal spot on every play

No more BS constant motion to the point where Sanchez has to make sure his own guys are in place then being able to read the defense

No more having the lineman wait for days in their stances because of all the motion instead of getting set and firing off the line

having an overly complex scheme only overloads the players, having a "simple" offense and running it efficiently allows the players to just play and not confuse themselves

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavilion View Post
    +1

No more lining up the fullback at receiver only to have him run to his normal spot on every play

No more BS constant motion to the point where Sanchez has to make sure his own guys are in place then being able to read the defense

No more having the lineman wait for days in their stances because of all the motion instead of getting set and firing off the line

having an overly complex scheme only overloads the players, having a "simple" offense and running it efficiently allows the players to just play and not confuse themselves
    To expand on this, another big flaw with the Schotty offense, we would run the playclock down to 4 seconds and under on pretty much every play, so think how easy that is for pass rushers knowing every time when the ball would be snapped to fire off the ball. Hopefully we will be mixing up when the ball is snapped under Sparano and co.

JOE NAMATH...PLEASE SHUT UP!

(your opinion does not matter THIS decade. I don't give a crap that you won a SB a billion years ago. that doesn't give you the right to talk sh-t about the JETS)

That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I am thoroughly convinced that on some level Namath does not want the Jets to win a SB because it will diminish his legacy.

And what the hell does it mean that the practices were "ordinary"? What was he expecting to see.... monkeys flying out of player's buts?

Quote Originally Posted by JetPotato View Post
    After all those years of Schotty, I'd take "ordinary" in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd settle for slightly below average.
    BTW, this is an AWESOME post.

Except for the "slightly below average" part.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    To expand on this, another big flaw with the Schotty offense, we would run the playclock down to 4 seconds and under on pretty much every play, so think how easy that is for pass rushers knowing every time when the ball would be snapped to fire off the ball. Hopefully we will be mixing up when the ball is snapped under Sparano and co.
    fantastic point

I really like the hiring of Sparano. I finally know that the identity of the offense is going to be ground oriented every week and not change week to week like a schizophrenic Vietnam war veteran (no disrespect to all the men in women who served our country in that war)

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigGreen View Post
    Considering that teams league wide have been calling us ordinary for years, now on both sides of the ball, I say we achieved that long ago.

I think this mentality is about, oh, a few decades late. Good luck trying to win a championship in today's NFL where through rule changes give precedence to the offense over the defense. Most teams have had head coaches smart enough to figure this out and therefore go with an all out passing attack that wins games and divisions. We don't.
    teams like the Saints, Packers, Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavilion View Post
    fantastic point

I really like the hiring of Sparano. I finally know that the identity of the offense is going to be ground oriented every week and not change week to week like a schizophrenic Vietnam war veteran (no disrespect to all the men in women who served our country in that war)
    No disrespect ... But c'mon ... Coulda said Norman Bates or something.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBigGreen View Post
    I agree with him. Sporano's hiring only shows how bat-**** backwards our head coach's thinking is. I cannot wait the moment Rex Ryan is shown the door. Until, I have two years of stomach ulcers to deal with. You guys drink the kool-aide, I figured the secret ingrediant out this year with its bitter taste: it is called bull$hit.
    Let's rush out the most successful coach in Jets history. Real smart. Have you made it to high school yet or are you new to the Jets?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Astoria View Post
    Real shocking news here.

An old man is confused and angry that the world has changed, and has to complain about everything.
    Yeah..but what about Namath ??

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Sparano is well-respected around the league, supposed to be a no nonsense guy, maybe just what the team needs and a good complement to Rex. We didn't just bring him here to call plays.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunnie View Post
    No disrespect ... But c'mon ... Coulda said Norman Bates or something.
    Or John Nash but the world moves on

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Namath is wrong about almost everything he predicts after his Superbowl prediction.

He likes making himself out to be more knowledgeable about football than he actually is.

Times have changed, Mr. Namath.

What he has in his finger most don't have in total. I would bet on him before you

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    Sparano is well-respected around the league, supposed to be a no nonsense guy, maybe just what the team needs and a good complement to Rex. We didn't just bring him here to call plays.
    Sparano is highly thought of by Parcells, Payton, and Coughlin. Payton wanted him as his OC but BP blocked the move

The offensive playbook might be "simpler" but will be more effective