Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Namath on Kay: "I can't see it/was shocked" (re: Sporano hiring)

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow - I don't understand all this hate on Broadway Joe. His comments have proven to be pretty much on the mark in regards to Sparano's job as OC.

As supporting evidence CBNY remarked that senior football guys in the league (GM, HC, etc) were laughing at the Jets upon the Sparano hire. They thought it was terrible.

Seriously, what has Sparano's offense done that's the least bit innovative or even competent The Jets often look like a bad high school team on offense.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone here knew sparano stunk. Just like everyone knows sanchez stinks.

People try to convince themselves otherwise but deep down, everyone of us knew both these guys stunk coming into 2012.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetster;4677319]
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    The jets did not qualify for the playoffs in the year prior to the SB win. They finished 8-5-1 in second place. So, I think you have it backwards...SB win and then a loss in the playoffs the following year.

With all honesty Namath was extraordinarily talented, but he wasted his best years with bonehead plays and risk taking that cost the Jets dearly. In the year prior to the SB win, he blew a 17-0 to eventual division winner Houston after the Jets had a 17-0 lead throwing 6 int and 2 pick 6's. He then threw 10 int (5 in one game) in 3 losses as the Jets finshed the season on a 1-3 run. Seems he was more interested in chasing his 4000 yard season than winning football games.

BTW after being the "hero" of SB III ( a game in which Matt Snell and the D were the real most valuable players), the Jets won the division and met the Chiefs in the conference playoff where the great Joe Namath was 14/40 for 164 yards and 4 ints in a 13-6 loss to KC.

Thats Sanchezesk! Damn Joe, say it aint so!
    Just goes to show you the unbelievable scrutiny that QBs in NY play under. Could Joe survive in this era with his over the top brashness? Who knows, but he would be hated & vilified after his 1st poor game. The coverage of my beloved NFL is beyond the pale & only getting worse! I mean seriously NFL AM? Starts at 6:00AM with a bunch of blowhards babbling away, making stupid predictions & pretty much just ruining the sport.
    You know what's funny about Joe. The Jets were at their best when acted a bit more of a game manager, minimizing his mistakes. On the SB run, he played far more cautious, and let the D and the running game really help shoulder the load.

If he had done that again in 69-70, maybe the Jets are the first AFL/AFC team to win 2 SB.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Everyone here knew sparano stunk. Just like everyone knows sanchez stinks.

People try to convince themselves otherwise but deep down, everyone of us knew both these guys stunk coming into 2012.
    Sparano stinks.

Sanchez does not.

SAR I

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    They scapegoated Schotty last season. Who will it be this year? Eventually, Tanny and Rex will have to look at themselves.

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by auctionking View Post
    Watch some dolphin games from the last few years and you will see how bad of a hire this is.Sparano is a great guy and players love to play for him,however he detroyed the dolphins o-line and spent millions doing it, Jake Grove,lasted 1 year (signed a huge contract and I think the fins cut him)Samson Satele (wasted a rd round pick on),Donald Thomas,Joe Berger,Justin Smiley(free agent bust),Marc Colombo(horrible),Richie Incognito(signed as a free agent to replace earlier busts),Jake Long (number 1 overall pick in the draft)Pouncy 1st rd pick,Carney 1st rd pick.With all of this in three years you would think a great offensive line coach would be in the top five in rushing every year. I think they were 4 th once,and are looking to improve the position again this off season.
    I did not like it then and I am unfortunately right

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Sparano stinks.

Sanchez does not.

SAR I
    Respectfully disagree ... Sanchez stinks like a week old diaper pail.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chirorob View Post

You know what's funny about Joe. The Jets were at their best when acted a bit more of a game manager, minimizing his mistakes. On the SB run, he played far more cautious, and let the D and the running game really help shoulder the load.

If he had done that again in 69-70, maybe the Jets are the first AFL/AFC team to win 2 SB.
    Surprised that no one has responded with any rebuttal to this.