Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Namath on Kay: "I can't see it/was shocked" (re: Sporano hiring)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Namath on Kay: "I can't see it/was shocked" (re: Sporano hiring)

Listen for yourself on the ESPN website.

Joe Willie said at first "I was shocked", then, "I just can't see it" (which he repeated twice) regarding the hiring of Sporano.

Namath: "He did nothing prior to going to Miami to really distinguish himself as a good OC and after he went to the Dolphins, I went to some of their practices (Namath lives in Florida) and saw nothing out of the ordinary - not on the practice field, or on the playing field on sunday. It was all pretty ordinary stuff".

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Namath is wrong about almost everything he predicts after his Superbowl prediction.

He likes making himself out to be more knowledgeable about football than he actually is.

Times have changed, Mr. Namath.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Namath is wrong about almost everything he predicts after his Superbowl prediction.

He likes making himself out to be more knowledgeable about football than he actually is.

Didn't he say " I probably shouldn't say this but I want to kiss you" the last time he was right. He needs to hang it up and make rounds selling his autograph. Not sure who is worse ex-Jocks trying to hang on with this BS or ESPN and the such for giving every ex-Jock a forum

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroy48 View Post
    Listen for yourself on the ESPN website.
    No thanks. This is garbage - both Namath's weekly spot, and this post. Real shocking news here. An old man is confused and angry that the world has changed, and has to complain about everything.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    After all those years of Schotty, I'd take "ordinary" in a heartbeat. Hell, I'd settle for slightly below average.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

Yup, in these days basically anyone with any negative to say about the Jets we hate. Even if its true.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm a believer in greatness being achieved by doing ordinary things with perfection. I'd love to see the Jets run an ordinary offense with such precision that it can not be stopped. I'm pretty sure these methods worked out ok for NJ' own Vinnie Lombardi.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He said he only has one year (06) of offensive coordination experience at Dallas. Well how many years of OC experience did Schoddy have before being named the Jets OC (zero, right?) And doesn't being a HC count for something? Like, multiple years of being an OC?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Namath was right about Sanchez hands under center and predicted he would fumble snaps.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wrong about everything, huh? Well, STFU.

1) Namath wears the ring, he might as well have made it. Respect.

2) More importantly, Namath was sounding an alarm about 2011 - and was on point - before any other public figure was.

Namath had said he was alarmed by the way the Jets lost to the Oakland Raiders on Sunday afternoon, and questioned Ryan's team's preparation during a Monday interview on ESPN 1050's "The Michael Kay Show."

"It wasn't disheartening so to speak," Broadway Joe said of the Jets' 34-24 setback in Oakland on Sunday, their first loss of the season. "It's rather alarming is the way I'm looking at it.

"It starts at the top. Coach Rex Ryan I think has been doing a great job getting the team to two (AFC) Championship Games. But if there's one thing about the athlete, if you keep telling him how good he is, he's going to start believing it, to the point that he may not be preparing not quite the way he should. He may be losing some respect for the other team."

How true were those words? And spoken after the Jets had only lost a single game.

I haven't noticed any threads saying "maybe we should have heeded Joe Namath" ... because what's he ever done for the franchise anyway?

3) Nailed Kolber. Joe eventually claimed the prize. He told me this in confidence, I'd appreciate it if this info did not leave this thread.
    Last edited by sackdance; 01-12-2012 at 08:19 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am thoroughly convinced that on some level Namath does not want the Jets to win a SB because it will diminish his legacy.

And what the hell does it mean that the practices were "ordinary"? What was he expecting to see.... monkeys flying out of player's buts?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Guess it's a good thing we hired Sparano instead.

Also, **** Joe Namath. The hell does his old ass know?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    And what the hell does it mean that the practices were "ordinary"? What was he expecting to see.... monkeys flying out of player's buts?
    is there a problem with monkey's flying out of their buts? Not against the rule book and might startle the defense enough that Holmes could jog himself free.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did Namath go to back to back AFCCs? Noooooooooo.

When I heard this pick, I didn't really know what to think. It's not a sexy pick but he did introduce the wildcat as a package to the NFL so he's got some gambler blood in him. It will be interesting to see what he does with the Jets offense next year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    Wrong about everything, huh? Well, STFU.

1) Namath wears the ring, he might as well have made it. Respect.

2) More importantly, Namath was sounding an alarm about 2011 - and was on point - before any other public figure was.

Namath had said he was alarmed by the way the Jets lost to the Oakland Raiders on Sunday afternoon, and questioned Ryan's team's preparation during a Monday interview on ESPN 1050's "The Michael Kay Show."

"It wasn't disheartening so to speak," Broadway Joe said of the Jets' 34-24 setback in Oakland on Sunday, their first loss of the season. "It's rather alarming is the way I'm looking at it.

"It starts at the top. Coach Rex Ryan I think has been doing a great job getting the team to two (AFC) Championship Games. But if there's one thing about the athlete, if you keep telling him how good he is, he's going to start believing it, to the point that he may not be preparing not quite the way he should. He may be losing some respect for the other team."

How true were those words? And spoken after the Jets had only lost a single game.

I haven't noticed any threads saying "maybe we should have heeded Joe Namath" ... because what's he ever done for the franchise anyway?

3) Nailed Kolber. Joe eventually claimed the prize. He told me this in confidence, I'd appreciate it if this info did not leave this thread.
    I'm with this guy.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KR View Post
    Yup, in these days basically anyone with any negative to say about the Jets we hate. Even if its true.
    This is true. Namath also said during the interview that he hopes Sparano does well. He was just surprised by the decision, as were many others.

And as for Namath not wanting the Jets to ever win again, I think he has said that he really wants them to win. To bring the team back to the glory days. That would in fact actually prop Joe up even more and trust me, Joe would love that.

Does anyone really think Joe wouldn't love to ride down the Canyon of Heroes on a float again after a Jets Super Bowl victory?

Seriously, Jets fans need to get some thicker skin.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post

You made me grin in a non play-off year, thank you Sack Dance.

I was there a few rows away frozen, on that God-awful freezing day when Joe verbalized outwardly his inner-voice. I hope he did, as unlikely as it seems, Kolber would have something to write on her gravestone "I hooked up with Broadway Joe" !

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    I am thoroughly convinced that onsome level Namath does not want the Jets to win a SB because it will diminish his legacy.

Watch some dolphin games from the last few years and you will see how bad of a hire this is.Sparano is a great guy and players love to play for him,however he detroyed the dolphins o-line and spent millions doing it, Jake Grove,lasted 1 year (signed a huge contract and I think the fins cut him)Samson Satele (wasted a rd round pick on),Donald Thomas,Joe Berger,Justin Smiley(free agent bust),Marc Colombo(horrible),Richie Incognito(signed as a free agent to replace earlier busts),Jake Long (number 1 overall pick in the draft)Pouncy 1st rd pick,Carney 1st rd pick.With all of this in three years you would think a great offensive line coach would be in the top five in rushing every year. I think they were 4 th once,and are looking to improve the position again this off season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with him. Sporano's hiring only shows how bat-**** backwards our head coach's thinking is. I cannot wait the moment Rex Ryan is shown the door. Until, I have two years of stomach ulcers to deal with. You guys drink the kool-aide, I figured the secret ingrediant out this year with its bitter taste: it is called bull$hit.
    Last edited by GoBigGreen; 01-12-2012 at 08:54 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Jets offense SHOULD be ordinary.

No more cutesy pre-snap motion every damn play and reverses at the worst possible times.

Just good old fashioned, ground and pound, shove the ball up their ass offense.