Thread: Oh look another one of those things.

Oh look another one of those things.

Gone:

Mulligan
    Hunter
    Plaxico
    Smith
    Brunell
    Tomlinson

FAs:

S/DB Michael Griffin
    OT DeMetrius Bell - I really like this player if he's healthy.
    WR Robert Meachem
    TE Bear Pascoe (Restricted - 5th unless they do something crazy)
    QB Chad Henne

Draft:

1: David DeCastro - Polished OL with the size and skill to be an immediate contributor. Prediction is that he beats out Slauson and eventually he and Ducasse make the nastiest G duo in the league. Why? Because I'm optimistic. Sun is shinin.

Jets trade back into the first using the 2nd, a 2013 first, and 2012 4th and 7th.

1B: Mark Barron - S position now done for the foreseeable future.

3: Vinny Curry - Now I've just gone mad. Steal/coup in the mid-3rd like this IMO.

5: Jarius Wright - Burner WR for le offense. WRs now consist of Holmes, Meachem, Kerley, and Wright as well as Keller...speed.

6: Drew Butler

Starters:

QB - Sanchez
    RB - Greene/McKnight/Powell/UDFA/SomeoneIdidin'tname
    FB - Connor
    TE - Keller/Pascoe

LT - D'Brick
    LG - DeCastro
    C - Mangold
    RG - Moore/Ducasse
    RT - Bell

WR - Holmes, Meachem, Kerley, Wright

DE - Wilkerson, DeVito, Dixon, Pito
    DT - Pouha, Ellis

OLB - Pace
    ILB - Scott
    ILB - Harris
    OLB - Curry

CB - Revis, Cromartie, Wilson, Strickland

S - Landry
    S - Leonhard/Barron

Just cranked one out to that team.

I know we all want Smith gone, but I don't believe he's going anywhere. Hunter as well, until another option is on the team.

I really like it, but I don't think Curry will last until the third.

Veteran
    Love it, but a few points:

-Would sign Jason Cambell over Henne because I think he's more of a threat to Sanchez. I also just think he's a better player.

-Do NOT like the idea of trading 2013 draft picks -- particularly first rounders -- because there's a decent chance the team will need to use a high draft pick on a QB next offseason. But who knows if Tanny is even thinking that far ahead.

-I'm starting to warm up to the DeCastro pick -- with Sparano now on board this pick seems even more realistic. I also think he would drum up some trade interest from teams further down (Giants, Bears, etc)

-I would jump for joy if we landed Curry and J Wright outside of the first round
    Last edited by Bronxville Jets Fan; 01-13-2012 at 08:53 AM.

You picked up Griffin in FA and started Landry

I like Thomlinson and would offer him a one year deal.

I just don't like Meachum, Justin McCairens version 2.0 I hate guys that drop the ball.

Not sold on the guard pick as of yet. You guys will have to keep working on me. I can't believe there won't be a better option at 16 for us. If this DeCastro destroys everyone at the combine or senior bowl or where ever he shows up my ears might perk up a bit more.

Beerfish definitely feel you on Meachem...I think Early Doucet would be he better buy. I really think Doucet can ball.

This draft itself seems unrealistic, doesn't it? Wright is a 3rd right. Is and
    maybe even higher. Curry IMO is a possible stud (I'll hold off until combine) and could be an option in the first if he measures up. Mostly I like the idea behind this mock, which is to aggressively pursue starting talent.

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I know we all want Smith gone, but I don't believe he's going anywhere. Hunter as well, until another option is on the team.
    In other mocks ill have leonhard/smith platooning making one above average safety.

Man I really like this mock..love what it does for the running/OL game including picking up Pascoe. I think Pascoe can be an elite blocking TE...like another OL good...Becht good.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-13-2012 at 10:35 AM.

I have a lot of 'wants' for this team but the two 'Musts' for me to address is RT and at least one safety position. You have addressed both of those so that's a great start.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Beerfish definitely feel you on Meachem...I think Early Doucet would be he better buy. I really think Doucet can ball.

This draft itself seems unrealistic, doesn't it? Wright is a 3rd right. Is and
    maybe even higher. Curry IMO is a possible stud (I'll hold off until combine) and could be an option in the first if he measures up. Mostly I like the idea behind this mock, which is to aggressively pursue starting talent.
    Replace DeCastro with Richardson or Jeffrey (or even Floyd) and I'm pumped

DeCastro helps us yeah, but I don't think we should go the guard route in round 1, especially since Slauson is fine for now.....All we need to do is replace Hunter and add competetion and we will have a good OL again

RE: Wright.....Maybe too late for him, but if not, pickup his teammate Joe Adams who is a little more explosive and faster but has less production

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I like Thomlinson and would offer him a one year deal.

I just don't like Meachum, Justin McCairens version 2.0 I hate guys that drop the ball.

Not sold on the guard pick as of yet. You guys will have to keep working on me. I can't believe there won't be a better option at 16 for us. If this DeCastro destroys everyone at the combine or senior bowl or where ever he shows up my ears might perk up a bit more.
    Agree, disagree, then agree again. I see Tomlinson sticking around. Team likes him as moral anchor and savy third down back late in the season.

Totally not feeling you on Meachem. He's going to blow up whereever he goes. I think the "hands" argument with him is not accurate. If anything they take him in and out of the game so often he goes hot/cold/hot - never gets settled on the field.

Laurent Robinson - Meachem production in the right team.

finally... so not sold on the guard pick. Pick up a FA RT and move on. We need to address other areas first.

The FA guard class is pretty nasty this year with Grubbs/Nicks. I'd cut Hunter and pick up one of those guys with an RT (Gaither, Brown, etc.). Have Slauson battle with Moore or cut Moore and use the extra cap space to improve in other areas. I like the former cause it gives us amazing depth on the OL and Moore, as people pointed out to me when i had him cut in my mock, is a great leader in the locker room. Where am I going with all this? Grab Floyd or Jeffery in the first. It's high time the Jets grabbed a blue chip WR. Or take Perry in the first and Dwight Jones in the second. The WR position should be addressed early via the draft, it's been too long.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post

RE: Wright.....Maybe too late for him, but if not, pickup his teammate Joe Adams who is a little more explosive and faster but has less production
    Joe Adams is not faster than Jarius Wright. With Jeff Demps now out of the draft mix, Wright is expected to be one of the fastest guys at the combine. Supposedly a legit 4.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Joe Adams is not faster than Jarius Wright. With Jeff Demps now out of the draft mix, Wright is expected to be one of the fastest guys at the combine. Supposedly a legit 4.3.
    +1

Wright can be painted as the Mike Wallace of this draft...Adams is nice but Wright is the more explosive and exciting of the two...Adams is closer to Kerley as a talent, and Kerley is probably a little better.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    +1

Wright can be painted as the Mike Wallace of this draft...Adams is nice but Wright is the more explosive and exciting of the two...Adams is closer to Kerley as a talent, and Kerley is probably a little better.
    Right. I'm really hoping the Jets target Wright. They need that added speed on the outside.

Adams is nice, too, but the Kerely comparison seems fitting. And the Jets don't need another punt and kickoff returner.

Bell is not a RT if he was he'd have played RT in Buff who needed one bad the last 3 years. People thinking he can play RT need to check the history not just the name. Your line up also doesn't reflect your moves. Sign Griffen then make Landry and Leonhard starters. What happened to Griffen? Does he get shot or something?

Don't like the draft. DeCastro is OK but G is not a glaring need. I'd be OK with the pick though. Way too much to trade back into the 1st IMO. Barron is not going that early and paying that much for a S would not be a good move. We could trade for a star S cheaper then that. I just think it is too much. The rest is mediocre.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Bell is not a RT if he was he'd have played RT in Buff who needed one bad the last 3 years. People thinking he can play RT need to check the history not just the name. Your line up also doesn't reflect your moves. Sign Griffen then make Landry and Leonhard starters. What happened to Griffen? Does he get shot or something?

Don't like the draft. DeCastro is OK but G is not a glaring need. I'd be OK with the pick though. Way too much to trade back into the 1st IMO. Barron is not going that early and paying that much for a S would not be a good move. We could trade for a star S cheaper then that. I just think it is too much. The rest is mediocre.
    I'm more worried about Bell's ability to stay healthy rather than play RT. He most likely resigns with the Bills because of that, since no one wants to pay FA starting T money to someone who's played one full season in the past 3. I know he's played LT, but that only matters if someones paying him to be their LT.

The Griffen/Landy thing can't be a mistake. It's more likely that Griffen got got shot or something, Chip.

Agreed that the Barron trade was kind of weak. I was more into the idea of trading specifically for players like in '07 with I guess some original twist somewhere (overpaying). It will be tried again possibly.

Ovreall, thanks for the criticism. I think DeCastro could start at LG immediately after usurping Slauson. Suddenly this is a powerful and athletic OL again.