Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NFP: The Vontaze Burfict Debate

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

NFP: The Vontaze Burfict Debate

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...bate-6182.html

The Vontaze Burfict Debate

Breaking down the game and assigning a great to Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict

LB Vontaze Burfict: Arizona State (6-3, 250)

A thick, compact linebacker with a strong frame and natural girth through both his upper and lower half. Exhibits a natural explosion to his game when asked to attack downhill and close on the run. Showcases a good first step, keeps his pad level down as a tackler and can really snap through the hips on contact. Is a violent tackler with good length for his size and has the balance and quickness to range off his frame in space and tackle consistently both in the hole and in the open field. Showcases the power and snap from his upper body to take on blocks on contact. When he stays low and extends his arms can be violent on contact when looking to shed. However, when he's not into the game mentally gets upright and can be overwhelmed and ridden out of the play. Instincts are a bit inconsistent. Will under run plays at times trying to create in the backfield, showcasing the ability to find the ball inside, read his run keys and play off opposing linemen's proper shoulder. However, at times just plays out of control and looks to be guessing which gap to shoot as opposed to reading his keys inside taking himself out of big plays.

Exhibits natural bend and pretty impressive fluidity for his size when asked to get out of his breaks. Can bend at the knees, but likes to pop upright in his drop and get a bit narrow in his base. This takes away initially from his burst and quickness changing directions in the pass game. However, he's fluid when asked to open up his hips and redirect. And once he gets his feet under him showcases impressive closing burst and range into contact. Can intimidate in the secondary and will create collisions on contact. Nevertheless, lacks a great feel in zone coverage. Doesn't get many proactive jumps on the football. Is a bit slow to recognize receivers crossing his face, doesn't get many early jumps on the football and is more of a reactive zone player. Might be best suited to play outside at the next level where he can have more simplified reads. Exhibits some savvy as a blitzer, times up the snap count well and can drop his pad level when trying to fight under blockers. However, isn't real sudden when trying to slip.

Has some on the field character concerns. Plays the game with a real passion and exhibits impressive fire. However, gets out of control at times and really struggles to handle his emotions. Takes some bad penalties on personal fouls and lets the penalties effect his performance as well. Seems to lose interest at times when things aren't going his way and it takes the edge off his game.

Impression: A talent with natural pop on contact, can hold the point of attack and for his size exhibits "plus" range and fluidity. Isn't a guy who I could trust as a starting 43 mike as he needs to stay in control of his emotions and make the defensive calls. Needs to be put in a good locker room with a vet next to him to help him learn to be a professional. If he can overcome his struggles on the field emotionally, he's got the talent to be a Pro Bowl caliber linebacker.

Grade: 6.6 C J

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I love this player at 2nd or 3rd round prices. Put him in there with Scott and Harris and have him learn the ropes. At 16, the price is too high. But he plays like a Jet to be sure.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still like him, but question whether the Jets locker room right now is the right fit for him. I also am starting to think that he can be had later in round 1 -- might go after Hightower -- and so could be a trade down target.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    I still like him, but question whether the Jets locker room right now is the right fit for him.
    It's the perfect fit for him. He'd be a pariah in a Mangini style locker room.

again I don't know if he goes in rd 1. too much baggage. If he does it's a reach i could see a team like DET or CIN making.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ya, that's a hard sell in rnd 1. I just don't see how players x,y and z could be off the board to make selecting Burfict a possibility. I'd totally be OK moving up in the 2nd to get him though.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Ya, that's a hard sell in rnd 1. I just don't see how players x,y and z could be off the board to make selecting Burfict a possibility. I'd totally be OK moving up in the 2nd to get him though.
    What he said, there are too many prospects that are way better than him to justify the pick. Like paradis said, second round and I'd probably jump on the opportunity. But even there you have guys like Vinny Curry who would give him a run.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd much rather get a guy like Hightower in round 2.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    if the jets trade back 10 or so spots i could see them considering him. but if they stay at 16 and are deciding between guys on defense like upshaw, ingram and perry, and a top OL prospect, i can't see them taking burfect over one of these guy, especially if character concerns is any sort of a decisive factor. it's another reason why i wonder if the jets will play it more conservative in the first round and shy away from guys like floyd, if they have the chance to take him anyway.

i think the bills will grab upshaw with visions of cornelius bennett and the jets will be looking at nick perry, ingram, maybe mercilus on defense, and an OL who drops. i have a feeling both floyd and jeffrey will be gone since the trend in the nfl is getting tall, physical wrs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I consider him the quintessential, perfect 2nd round pick for the Jets.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

again I don't know if he goes in rd 1. too much baggage. If he does it's a reach i could see a team like DET or CIN making.
    I have an extremely hard time seeing him getting past Baltimore at the end of round 1. Pittsburgh could also jump on him at 23 given their LB needs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have an extremely hard time seeing him getting past Baltimore at the end of round 1. Pittsburgh could also jump on him at 23 given their LB needs.
    unless the guy flunks interviews, i think late 1st is a reasonable landing spot for him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    neither of those teams reach for players. They value pick players. Not necessarily saying Burfict is a reach in the late first, but chances are they will be targeting other positions or other players that have a higher value. Steelers really need OL & CB. The Ravens really need OL and RB if Ray Rice leaves. ILB is not a prime need for either squad.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    i could also see the eagles taking him to hopefully toughen up their defense.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I still like him, but question whether the Jets locker room right now is the right fit for him. I also am starting to think that he can be had later in round 1 -- might go after Hightower -- and so could be a trade down target.
    its like someone with STD's walking into a whorehouse- only calamity will come from it...

the last thing the Jets need or want is another potentially explosive personality in the locker room...like all the crap that's going on now in the locker room and the way the team is being dragged through the mud??? throw some more gas on the fire by adding Burfict...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    unless the guy flunks interviews, i think late 1st is a reasonable landing spot for him.
    I think the Steelers and Ravens have a lot of faith in their locker-rooms than a team like the Jets can right now, and so the risk can be perceived as lower to them.

But, yes, the interviews will be key. If he comes off as a DB, than I wouldn't want the Jets to take him. But from what I hear, the guy has a quiet and unassuming disposition off the field. And, to my knowledge, he hasn't gotten into trouble off the field, it's just on the field where he apparently let's his emotions get carried away at times. So we're not talking about a Janoris Jenkins here -- he's more like a Suh, and I'm sure the Lions are not regretting making him the second overall pick, even with all of his 15 yard penalties and suspension. It was their trade-off for explosive, difference making talent.

Burfict is the classic high-risk, high-reward pick this year. And sometimes you gotta roll the dice to get an impact player, which we haven't been able to do since 2008.
    Last edited by Bronxville Jets Fan; 01-13-2012 at 01:55 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    its like someone with STD's walking into a whorehouse- only calamity will come from it...

the last thing the Jets need or want is another potentially explosive personality in the locker room...like all the crap that's going on now in the locker room and the way the team is being dragged through the mud??? throw some more gas on the fire by adding Burfict...
    I dont know, I think the whole locker room mess gets overblown. We can't get back to the idea of just aquiring choir boys, that got us nowhere under Mangini. Burfict is also considered a good kid aside from his trouble with Erickson and his on field craziness. We got a stable of veteran, hard working linebackers in Harris, Pace, Scott if he stays and I also consider our defensive leadership excellent. Basically all our veteran leaders are on that side of the ball and they are model citizens. Think of Pouha, DeVito, Leonhard or Revis. When Burfict gets put into that mix alongside the strong, hard handed defensive coaching we have from guys like Thurman, Pettine and of course Rex, then the sky is the limit for this kid.

The whole trouble he had at the end of the year, he will be so thankful to get out of Arizona State and the mess he had with Erickson and the coaching staff. There isnt a better replacement for Bart Scott in the future and he is also the perfect complement to the more level headed, quiet David Harris. Man, just think about that inside linebacker combination of Harris and Burfict...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I dont know, I think the whole locker room mess gets overblown. We can't get back to the idea of just aquiring choir boys, that got us nowhere under Mangini. Burfict is also considered a good kid aside from his trouble with Erickson and his on field craziness. We got a stable of veteran, hard working linebackers in Harris, Pace, Scott if he stays and I also consider our defensive leadership excellent. Basically all our veteran leaders are on that side of the ball and they are model citizens. Think of Pouha, DeVito, Leonhard or Revis. When Burfict gets put into that mix alongside the strong, hard handed defensive coaching we have from guys like Thurman, Pettine and of course Rex, then the sky is the limit for this kid.

The whole trouble he had at the end of the year, he will be so thankful to get out of Arizona State and the mess he had with Erickson and the coaching staff. There isnt a better replacement for Bart Scott in the future and he is also the perfect complement to the more level headed, quiet David Harris. Man, just think about that inside linebacker combination of Harris and Burfict...
    Hightower is about as good in my opinion, and is much less of a risk. Plus at 16 I don't know that I'd take Burfict just talking talent. We'll see, I think he is getting a lot more hype this year due to his on field histrionics than for play. At this point I wouldn't touch him in the first and maybe the 2nd depending on who's there (Dwight Jones, Vinny Curry, etc.)

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Hightower is about as good in my opinion, and is much less of a risk. Plus at 16 I don't know that I'd take Burfict just talking talent. We'll see, I think he is getting a lot more hype this year due to his on field histrionics than for play. At this point I wouldn't touch him in the first and maybe the 2nd depending on who's there (Dwight Jones, Vinny Curry, etc.)
    When he's right than Burfict is in a different class than Hightower in terms of athletisism and speed.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know, I think the whole locker room mess gets overblown.
    sorry Mo- disagree here...the wheels were falling off in the middle of the season and now you've got people sniping all over the place- named and unamed...not a good situation...

We can't get back to the idea of just aquiring choir boys, that got us nowhere under Mangini. Burfict is also considered a good kid aside from his trouble with Erickson and his on field craziness. We got a stable of veteran, hard working linebackers in Harris, Pace, Scott if he stays and I also consider our defensive leadership excellent. Basically all our veteran leaders are on that side of the ball and they are model citizens. Think of Pouha, DeVito, Leonhard or Revis. When Burfict gets put into that mix alongside the strong, hard handed defensive coaching we have from guys like Thurman, Pettine and of course Rex, then the sky is the limit for this kid.

actually he's not a good kid and the trouble extends well before the end of the year...as previously posted he sucker punched one of his teammates in the locker room before the season began and should've been suspended...there are reports of other incidents as well and Erickson gave him every benefit of the doubt...

the other issue is this: Burfict played like sh!t this year- his game is on the downslide and trying to get it back together on the upswing in the NFL for a 21YO kid w/anger management issues is not going to be easy...

compare the two:

Devin Taylor/USC: top ten prospect coming into the season, played woefully below expectations and told by scouts to return to college and get his game back on track- thus far he states he is returning...

Vontaz Burfict/ASU: top ten prospect coming into the season, plays woefully below expectations...has off the field issues....has on the field issues....told by scouts to return and get his game back on track- decides to enter the draft anyway...

somehow a guy that's dropped almost a full round due to non-injury issues is going to quickly turn the tide? perhaps- but not with the Jets who are in turmoil at present stage...be thankful its January...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    When he's right than Burfict is in a different class than Hightower in terms of athletisism and speed.
    That's the way I see it -- Burfict seems to have much better range. But Hightower is the safer pick, to be sure. And I agree with you, the idea of Burfict playing alongside Harris for the next five years is a salivating thought.