Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: NFP: The Vontaze Burfict Debate

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    +1

I'd love something like this in the first 3 rounds:

1st round: OG David DeCastro - Stanford

2nd round: ILB Dont'a Hightower - Alabama

3rd round: WR Nick Toon - Wisconsin

I'd be thrilled with that draft and it's very realistic IMO.

I would sell my mother to get that draft.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    my opinion doesn't matter but looking at the amount of snaps he got on real defense, clearly he's a favorite of Rex. I think the Jets coaches believe he can start. He certainly better than Scott in pass coverage.
    I agree with you that he is definitely a great security blanket if Scott leaves. We could than easily bring in another rookie and see what we got in the guy without the pressure of needing him to perform from day one... would be a nice scenario especially if the Jets add a guy like Bradham or Johnson in the later rounds...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Our 2nd round pick or 2nd selection - have been damn near impossible to predict.
    Last time I got it right was in 2006 lol. I nailed the first round that year. It's been all downhill since haha. Brick, Mangold, and wanted McNeil (RT) which would have been an awesome pick over Clemens in retrospect

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Would love to see this kid in a Jet uniform, but only at the right price. Meaning the OL has to be addressed first. I would prefer to "steal" him as a second-rounder but I don't think he will be around that long.

His tape speaks for itself so I dont need to be his agent. The problem is he is a loose cannon and I dont think the Jets can afford to have a first-round pick blow up on them. They need an instant contributor, and a quality one. If he is available in the second-round then it is a no-brainer. Jets just can't afford to miss on their first-rounder this year.

Personally, I think he can play any LB position in the 4-3 or 3-4. I think he is that talented. I read on some blogs that ASU fans knock his zone coverage skills but to me that is purely coaching and with his athletic ability he should be able to do it as long as his head is in the game. But with Burfict, that is not a guarantee. Not for nothing, but how many LBs are good in coverage? So I cant kill him for that.

He needs to go to a team with rock-solid veteran leadership at his position. I dont know if that is the Jets. As a first-rounder he is high risk, high reward, as a second-rounder he is medium risk, high reward.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I want this psychopath in green.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    DRAFT THIS BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^ good god. I know there's cause for concern with this kid, but does he ever LOOK like a money shot of what the Jets need right now.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RblJet View Post
    I would sell my mother to get that draft.
    Lulz. Only when you spend a few years in the draft forum, does the full breadth of this remark reveal itself.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    Beast-mode

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    ^^ good god. I know there's cause for concern with this kid, but does he ever LOOK like a money shot of what the Jets need right now.
    If you wanna build a defense that strikes fear into an opponent, you draft kids with on the field anger issues like Burfict.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    1.Ingram/Perry
    2.Miller
    3.Burfict
    4.RT/Bradham
    5. WR

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    word at the shrine game is when Burfict interviews at the combine he will make courtney upshaw sound like a rocket scientist...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    I want this psychopath in green.
    More importantly, I don't want this psychopath tearing into green. Think of it as a defensive pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    word at the shrine game is when Burfict interviews at the combine he will make courtney upshaw sound like a rocket scientist...
    LOL, truth!!

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...ontaze-burfict

lol at the end...national championship...

...Btw I still want him.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just read this scouting report on him if half of this is true please let him be drafted by a different team thank you.

Prototypical size and strength. Strong, fundamentally sound tackler. Has the ability to deliver the big hit and knock the ball loose. Impressive speed and athleticism for his size; when he takes the correct angle, he can close on the ball carrier in a flash and deliver a big hit. Tons of upside if he can harness his aggression and improve his awareness and discipline on the field. Weaknesses: Extremely overaggressive to the point where it became a major issue; routinely flagged for late hits. Football intelligence is lacking; struggles to diagnose misdirection plays and frequently over-commits in the wrong direction. Does a poor job keeping his eyes in the backfield and adjusting to the play when blitzing. Struggles dropping into coverage; taken off the field in many obvious passing situations when not being used to blitz. Headbutted Oregon State quarterback Ryan Katz in 2010. Comments: Burfict has been a big-time playmaker since arriving on campus in 2009. Unfortunately, he has shown little improvement in that span. When casually watching Arizona State, Burfict immediately jumps out because hes all over the field and always around the football. A close look, however, reveals his poor instincts and complete lack of discipline. His reputations as a dirty player is well know and, even if his late hits dont come with ill-intentions, hes still consistently putting his team in bad situations due to the penalties he racks up. At worst, hes flat-out dirty; at best, hes just plain stupid. Either way, Burfict is often a detriment to his team. He clearly has the raw talent of a 1st-rounder, but has yet to show the maturity to warrant that status. V

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    LOL, truth!!

http://espn.go.com/blog/pac12/post/_...ontaze-burfict

lol at the end...national championship...

...Btw I still want him.
    Did you guys notice the hat he was wearing?

Another interesting note is how he shakes his head when he says he has to be a leader by example. He is saying it but shaking his head "no" at the same time. LOL.

Love this guy, but if he blows up in the Jets face, Rex and Tanny might now survive it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not sure what your source is for this, but here's a similar note from Tony Pauline's blog:

"Notes: Where will Arizona State linebacker Vontaz Burfict end up in the draft. If his on the field transgressions and off the field questions were not enough, sources say they don’t expect the sometimes dominant linebacker to interview very well. It’s a matter of Burfict not diagnosing plays correctly if put to the test, amongst other things."

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/