Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NFP: The Vontaze Burfict Debate

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    sorry Mo- disagree here...the wheels were falling off in the middle of the season and now you've got people sniping all over the place- named and unamed...not a good situation...

actually he's not a good kid and the trouble extends well before the end of the year...as previously posted he sucker punched one of his teammates in the locker room before the season began and should've been suspended...there are reports of other incidents as well and Erickson gave him every benefit of the doubt...

the other issue is this: Burfict played like sh!t this year- his game is on the downslide and trying to get it back together on the upswing in the NFL for a 21YO kid w/anger management issues is not going to be easy...

compare the two:

Devin Taylor/USC: top ten prospect coming into the season, played woefully below expectations and told by scouts to return to college and get his game back on track- thus far he states he is returning...

Vontaz Burfict/ASU: top ten prospect coming into the season, plays woefully below expectations...has off the field issues....has on the field issues....told by scouts to return and get his game back on track- decides to enter the draft anyway...

somehow a guy that's dropped almost a full round due to non-injury issues is going to quickly turn the tide? perhaps- but not with the Jets who are in turmoil at present stage...be thankful its January...
    Lot of good points, I have to agree that its certainly some wishful thinking on my part. What Ive read he is a good guy off the field, you know, no drinking, weed and other stuff. Anger management issues are definitely there. We'll see what happens...

Its gonna be really interesting what the Jets do regarding the LB corps next year. So many options and I think it is time to replace Bart Scott. Free agent class doesnt look great. I like Nigel Bradham from FSU in the later rounds. Whats your opinion on him?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    What he said, there are too many prospects that are way better than him to justify the pick. Like paradis said, second round and I'd probably jump on the opportunity. But even there you have guys like Vinny Curry who would give him a run.
    I think as a player he's got all of the tools, and mentally he needs to get it together.

If the coaches think they are getting a guy who wants to be a good teammate, I'm all for it at 16

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Lot of good points, I have to agree that its certainly some wishful thinking on my part. What Ive read he is a good guy off the field, you know, no drinking, weed and other stuff. Anger management issues are definitely there. We'll see what happens...

Its gonna be really interesting what the Jets do regarding the LB corps next year. So many options and I think it is time to replace Bart Scott. Free agent class doesnt look great. I like Nigel Bradham from FSU in the later rounds. Whats your opinion on him?
    he's okay...my issue with Bradham is he looked like a potential star in the making as a sophomore yet never really elevated his game...

two names to watch- both from the WAC:

Bobby Wagner/Utah State....

James Johnson (no relation to the FannMae criminal) of Nevada..

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    to be a first round inside backer, gotta be an AJ Hawk or a Patrick Willis type of prospect. Burfict clearly isn't that type of player (too much baggage), he's a guy who gets more appealing the further he drops. Right now I think it would take a miracle to get him into rd 1 and even rd 2 might be asking 2 much. the later it gets the better value he becomes. Teams are gonna pass on him for all the reasons CBNY is noting.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    to be a first round inside backer, gotta be an AJ Hawk or a Patrick Willis type of prospect. Burfict clearly isn't that type of player (too much baggage), he's a guy who gets more appealing the further he drops. Right now I think it would take a miracle to get him into rd 1 and even rd 2 might be asking 2 much. the later it gets the better value he becomes. Teams are gonna pass on him for all the reasons CBNY is noting.
    the jets can get an olb/de prospect, most likely at 16 who has as much talent as burfect but doesn't have all the baggage. if tannenbaum drafts a problem child in the first round this year, his tenure with the jets will be even more tenuous.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the jets can get an olb/de prospect, most likely at 16 who has as much talent as burfect but doesn't have all the baggage.
    we agree burfict isn't gonna be the pick at 16. I could see him being the pick in rd 3. they take chances (Kenrick Ellis for example)

I also don't see him naturally projecting to OLB. He's basically an ILB. if the draft goes 1) Upshaw 2) RT or RB 3) Burfict that would be a sweet haul.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    he's okay...my issue with Bradham is he looked like a potential star in the making as a sophomore yet never really elevated his game...

two names to watch- both from the WAC:

Bobby Wagner/Utah State....

James Johnson (no relation to the FannMae criminal) of Nevada..
    Like Johnson a lot. He is a good athlete and can cover a lot of ground. Tough guy too. Haven't seen much of Wagner though.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    we agree burfict isn't gonna be the pick at 16. I could see him being the pick in rd 3. they take chances (Kenrick Ellis for example)

I also don't see him naturally projecting to OLB. He's basically an ILB. if the draft goes 1) Upshaw 2) RT or RB 3) Burfict that would be a sweet haul.
    The Burfict at OLB thing going around is just off...Guys like Lawrence Timmons, David Harris, Patrick Willis, Karlos Dansby, and James Farrior know how to blitz...it does not make them a 3-4 OLB.

He's an ILB first who can take snaps at OLB when they're not in a 3-4 front.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

i think the most likely scenario is either upshaw/ingram/perry/mercilus in round 1, a RT in round 2 and either S or WR in round 3. of course FA will dictate needs too.

i think the jets have had enough headaches with diva, former 1st round wr picks and will be discouraged from drafting one of their own, especially in a run-first offense.

i think the potential deviation from my predictions come if a premiere OL falls to them, if richardson somehow falls to them or if they trade back in the first round.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    its like someone with STD's walking into a whorehouse- only calamity will come from it...

the last thing the Jets need or want is another potentially explosive personality in the locker room...like all the crap that's going on now in the locker room and the way the team is being dragged through the mud??? throw some more gas on the fire by adding Burfict...
    Nooooo. They need that crazy bastard.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just watch his Las vegas bowl this year. The guy is a complete wack job and the last thing this team needs is another low character guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...bate-6182.html

The Vontaze Burfict Debate

Breaking down the game and assigning a great to Arizona State ILB Vontaze Burfict

LB Vontaze Burfict: Arizona State (6-3, 250)

A thick, compact linebacker with a strong frame and natural girth through both his upper and lower half. Exhibits a natural explosion to his game when asked to attack downhill and close on the run. Showcases a good first step, keeps his pad level down as a tackler and can really snap through the hips on contact. Is a violent tackler with good length for his size and has the balance and quickness to range off his frame in space and tackle consistently both in the hole and in the open field. Showcases the power and snap from his upper body to take on blocks on contact. When he stays low and extends his arms can be violent on contact when looking to shed. However, when he's not into the game mentally gets upright and can be overwhelmed and ridden out of the play. Instincts are a bit inconsistent. Will under run plays at times trying to create in the backfield, showcasing the ability to find the ball inside, read his run keys and play off opposing linemen's proper shoulder. However, at times just plays out of control and looks to be guessing which gap to shoot as opposed to reading his keys inside taking himself out of big plays.

Exhibits natural bend and pretty impressive fluidity for his size when asked to get out of his breaks. Can bend at the knees, but likes to pop upright in his drop and get a bit narrow in his base. This takes away initially from his burst and quickness changing directions in the pass game. However, he's fluid when asked to open up his hips and redirect. And once he gets his feet under him showcases impressive closing burst and range into contact. Can intimidate in the secondary and will create collisions on contact. Nevertheless, lacks a great feel in zone coverage. Doesn't get many proactive jumps on the football. Is a bit slow to recognize receivers crossing his face, doesn't get many early jumps on the football and is more of a reactive zone player. Might be best suited to play outside at the next level where he can have more simplified reads. Exhibits some savvy as a blitzer, times up the snap count well and can drop his pad level when trying to fight under blockers. However, isn't real sudden when trying to slip.

Has some on the field character concerns. Plays the game with a real passion and exhibits impressive fire. However, gets out of control at times and really struggles to handle his emotions. Takes some bad penalties on personal fouls and lets the penalties effect his performance as well. Seems to lose interest at times when things aren't going his way and it takes the edge off his game.

Impression: A talent with natural pop on contact, can hold the point of attack and for his size exhibits "plus" range and fluidity. Isn't a guy who I could trust as a starting 43 mike as he needs to stay in control of his emotions and make the defensive calls. Needs to be put in a good locker room with a vet next to him to help him learn to be a professional. If he can overcome his struggles on the field emotionally, he's got the talent to be a Pro Bowl caliber linebacker.

Grade: 6.6 C J

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    the play of Josh mauga has to be a factor in this debate as well. They might not need to draft a replacement for Bart Scott.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hightower

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    the play of Josh mauga has to be a factor in this debate as well. They might not need to draft a replacement for Bart Scott.
    You're that high on him? He struck me as a good "depth" guy, but not someone who could elevate the overall defense.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    Hightower
    +1

I'd love something like this in the first 3 rounds:

1st round: OG David DeCastro - Stanford

2nd round: ILB Dont'a Hightower - Alabama

3rd round: WR Nick Toon - Wisconsin

I'd be thrilled with that draft and it's very realistic IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    From what I've heard/read, he doesn't have off the field problems. Could be wrong though.

I'd love to move up for him if he fell to the early 2nd.

1) Trent Richardson/Michael Floyd/Nick Perry/David DeCastro
    2) Vontaze Burfict

Would be a sick haul.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fairly sure Burfict is out of our drafting range...he'll likely fall right between our picks, at the end of the first round (I know it's been said before but I can't imagine Balt or Pitt passing on him) And for some reason I don't see Tanny trading up at all this year -- I think he finally realizes we need more serviceable depth.

It's too bad, because I like many others here REALLY want Burfict. What I'd LOVE is for Tannehill to have high stock, still be on the board at 16, and we trade down with some team in the mid 20's who is desperate for him (unlikely I know)...and pick up Burfict with our mid 20's pick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont see any way this guy see's the 1st round unless he absolutely blows people away at the combine and even that would have to be in interviews not field tests.

No one will risk it in the 1st. There is just to much talent at the position to risk taking him.

Again could be a steal in the 2nd though if he pans out. Maybe even the early 3rd.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    You're that high on him? He struck me as a good "depth" guy, but not someone who could elevate the overall defense.
    my opinion doesn't matter but looking at the amount of snaps he got on real defense, clearly he's a favorite of Rex. I think the Jets coaches believe he can start. He certainly better than Scott in pass coverage.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Our 2nd round pick or 2nd selection - have been damn near impossible to predict.