Thread: Jonathan Massaquoi/DE-OLB/Troy entering draft

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Jonathan Massaquoi/DE-OLB/Troy entering draft

TonyPauline Tony Pauline
    Jonathan Massaquoi/DE-OLB/Troy entering draft...loved him entering the year http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5495 but play fell off in '11...strange choice

College defensive end that projects to outside linebacker at the next level. Terrific athlete that displays speed moving in every direction of the field and constantly disrupts the action. Forceful up the field and shows a lot of ability in pursuit. The closest thing to DeMarcus Ware Troy has produced recently.

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=5495

Could look good in green & white..

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Massaquoi informed Troy coaches of his decision on Friday. Troy head coach Larry Blakeney said he wasn’t surprised that Massaquoi decided to go pro.

Massaquoi, who recently graduated from Troy, turns 24 in May.

"He had been working on it for a few weeks and (strength and conditioning coach) Richard (Shaughnessy) helped him with his resources," Troy head coach Larry Blakeney said. "The fact that he had already graduated and didn’t find a graduate program (at Troy) that appealed to him, he’s 24 years old and the clock's ticking (were reasons to jump).

“I promised I’d do everything I could to help him.”

Blakeney had filed a report to the NFL Draft advisory committee on Massaquoi.

“He was rated in the bottom half of the NFL Draft by scouts but chose to go anyway,” Blakeney said. “I hope he has great luck and gets his shot.”

Massaquoi was a first-team all-conference selection in each of his two years that he played for Troy, in 2011 and 2010. He redshirted in 2009 after playing a year at Butler County (Kan.) Community College.

He had 52 tackles, 10.5 for loss and six sacks in 2011 and 76 tackles, 20.5 for loss and 13.5 sacks in 2010.

http://www2.dothaneagle.com/sports/2...ro-ar-3040423/

Jonathan Massaquoi, Troy, 6-2, 252, 4.70, JR … Explosive edge-rusher had 13.5 sacks in his first year in D1 football last fall; also had 11.5 sacks as a freshman at the junior college level; not all that big at a bulked up 250 pounds and not that stout at the point of attack; also doesn’t use hands that well and has almost no punch at the point of attack, but very active chasing plays down from behind; very quick off the snap, has good balance, can change direction on the fly and has good closing speed to the ball; cousin of both Cleveland WR Mohammed Massaquoi and Minnesota TE Visanthe Siancoe.

http://www.gbnreport.com/2012olbprofiles.html

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    very interesting prospect- looked like DeMarcus Ware off the '10 film then looked rather ordinary much of 2011....watched him a lot and really wanted him to shine but never stepped up...still, JC transfer who has skill but may be finding his feet....cousins in Browns/WR Mohammed...

edit- sorry CMart- did not read through your second post about his kin...

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    very interesting prospect- looked like DeMarcus Ware off the '10 film then looked rather ordinary much of 2011....watched him a lot and really wanted him to shine but never stepped up...still, JC transfer who has skill but may be finding his feet....cousins in Browns/WR Mohammed...

edit- sorry CMart- did not read through your second post about his kin...
    Hey no problems...I remember asking you months ago for 3-4 OLBs that could be good for Jets and you had Massaquoi as a sleeper so he's been on my radar...

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    What round is he projecting to go in? I haven't heard much about him.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    could be a great candidate for that juniors allowed bowl in LA.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    What round is he projecting to go in? I haven't heard much about him.
    My exact same question

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    My exact same question
    Here's Scott Wright's opinion:

https://mobile.twitter.com/#!/DraftC...25412280877056

The 2012 NFL Draft just got another pass rusher with Troy DE / OLB Jonathan Massaquoi declaring. 2nd or 3rd Rounder.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    The guy has huge upside. Massaquoi, Curry, and Mercilus are the best pure passrushers in the draft IMO.

Definitely worth a shot in the 2nd round.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    The guy has huge upside. Massaquoi, Curry, and Mercilus are the best pure passrushers in the draft IMO.

Definitely worth a shot in the 2nd round.
    Which do you think would be the best standing up? I think it might be Curry. Def not Mercilus.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    Which do you think would be the best standing up? I think it might be Curry. Def not Mercilus.
    It's Curry IMO.

Honestly, if the Jets were going to go OLB in round 1, I'd take Curry and wouldn't even care if it's a slight reach. I want a passrusher, not another Bryan Thomas/Calvin Pace. That's why I favor Curry over guys like Upshaw and Ingram.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    It's Curry IMO.

Honestly, if the Jets were going to go OLB in round 1, I'd take Curry and wouldn't even care if it's a slight reach. I want a passrusher, not another Bryan Thomas/Calvin Pace. That's why I favor Curry over guys like Upshaw and Ingram.
    You wouldn't take Perry first? He'd be my DE/OLB pick if we are talking first round. He in my mind is Curry's production, but against better competition.