Thread: Sorry, just getting into draft. Anyone know about Whitney Mercilus?

Sorry, just getting into draft. Anyone know about Whitney Mercilus?

This is the summary from walterfootball. Seems like exactly what we need (our own JPP hopefully!):

Summary: Whitney Mercilus was the most productive pass-rusher in college football in 2011. He led the nation in sacks (16) and forced fumbles (9). It was a record-setting season as Mercilus topped Simeon Rice's school record for sacks in a year. Like Rice, Mercilus is a fabulous athlete. He has a special combination of size, speed and strength to go along with excellent technique. Mercilus also recorded 57 tackles and 22.5 tackles for a loss.

Entering the NFL, Mercilus is an advanced pass-rusher. He got the better of the best tackles he faced this season. Against Ohio State's Mike Adams, Mercilus recorded 1.5 sacks with a forced fumble. The Wisconsin Badgers' powerful offensive line couldn't contain Mercilus. He bull rushed through massive right tackle Josh Oglesby to get a sack-fumble on Russell Wilson. Mercilus also knocked out left tackle Ricky Wagner for part of the game.

Mercilus has a very impressive repertoire of pass rushing moves. He attacks with speed around the edge. As a counter to the speed, he has the strength to execute rip moves and shed offensive linemen. Mercilus has the raw power to get under offensive linemen's pads and bull rush into the pocket. That catches linemen by surprise as they are so cognizant of being ready for his speed rush. Beyond his great physical skill set, Mercilus is an advanced pass-rusher technically.

Mercilus holds up well in run defense. Linemen don't push him around, as he is strong at the point of attack. He also will burst into the backfield to disrupt running plays.

The big question regarding Mercilus is why didn't break into the lineup sooner and why didn't he produce more earlier. In 2009 and 2010, Mercilus combined to record 24 tackles with two sacks and 6.5 tackles for a loss.

he's a beast probably the best pass rusher in the draft. I think if he has a killer combine he's going early. I could totally see him going at #16

Undrafted Free Agent
    He's better fit to be a DE in a 4-3 system, that's the knock i guess.
    Wonderful athlete, polished Pass Rusher, Gonna be a pretty solid pro. If he goes to a system that runs a 4-3.

Oh yeah, they say he wouldn't be able to convert to a OLB for a 3-4 system and that's what the jets would be looking for.

Good Thread though, Great player.

Quote Originally Posted by CR8ZMIKE View Post
    He's better fit to be a DE in a 4-3 system, that's the knock i guess.
    Wonderful athlete, polished Pass Rusher, Gonna be a pretty solid pro. If he goes to a system that runs a 4-3.

Oh yeah, they say he wouldn't be able to convert to a OLB for a 3-4 system and that's what the jets would be looking for.

Good Thread though, Great player.
    agreed he's not a 3-4 OLB, but I think Rex would be able to find a place for him. he strikes me as totally a Rex guy... if he wants a guy that "plays like a jet" well that's exactly what this kid does

All Pro
    Jets need to draft Nick perry.

OR

Riley Reiff

OR

TRADE OUT

if you changed Illinois to Ohio State this could be gholston's profile

Tanny couldn't make this pick if he wanted to.

This is one guy I'd love to have on the Jets

Veteran
    Plus he does it all with 9 1/2 fingers

That makes him even scarier - like a menacing Bond villain

Could be a 2nd rouder as a 3-4 OLB. Lacks the athletic look so scouts could overlook. Has good speed lots to like. Didnt get as much playing time in College as I would have liked.

Veteran
    I saw just about all of the illini games this season and he appears to be the real deal. He's coming out as a junior and was one of the bright points as the Illini stumbled down the stretch. The jets have more pressing needs like an upgrade at linebacker and the o line, but I don't think anyone would be disappointed in him.