Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After watching Brady last night, I'm convinced that Jets go OLB in Round 1

Veteran

After watching Brady last night, I'm convinced that Jets go OLB in Round 1

And I think Buffalo and Miami might now be seriously thinking the same thing (which obviously hurts the Jets chances of getting the player they want). I just can't see Rex or Tanny worrying about the offense's talent level after watching that game -- unless you have a super elite QB (Brees, Rodgers, etc), your offense is not competing with that. San Fran showed us yesterday how you beat a team with a super star QB: strong overall defense with a relentless pass rush.

I expect the Jets to follow the San Fran model this offseason by bolstering their LB corps, starting by taking an OLB in round 1. (WR, on the other hand ... no way.)

Agree. Brady and the Pats offense put on a stunning performance last night.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    And I think Buffalo and Miami might now be seriously thinking the same thing (which obviously hurts the Jets chances of getting the player they want). I just can't see Rex or Tanny worrying about the offense's talent level after watching that game -- unless you have a super elite QB (Brees, Rodgers, etc), your offense is not competing with that. San Fran showed us yesterday how you beat a team with a super star QB: strong overall defense with a relentless pass rush.

I expect the Jets to follow the San Fran model this offseason by bolstering their LB corps, starting by taking an OLB in round 1. (WR, on the other hand ... no way.)
    San Fran also benefited from the fact that the Saints turn into pumpkins once they step foot outside of the Superdome.

Quote Originally Posted by DDNYjets View Post
    San Fran also benefited from the fact that the Saints turn into pumpkins once they step foot outside of the Superdome.
    5 turnovers helps too.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    5 turnovers helps too.
    Some of those are a credit to SF's defense. Brees looked absolutely rattled for much of the game.

Broncos have von miller and Dumerville and just got destroyed. We need one or more pass rushing olbs though.

You guys do know that Denver was one of the worst pass D teams this year right? I believe their defensive passer rating (basically QBs passer rating against them) was something like 93.3.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Broncos have von miller and Dumerville and just got destroyed. We need one or more pass rushing olbs though.
    This is what I was thinking. The chances of finding a better set of edge-rushers than Dumervil and Miller are slim to none. They got no pressure on Brady yesterday.

Even with a great pass rush, Brady is going to make 80% of his throws from a perfect pocket. If you get there more often than that, it's not entirely because your defense did such a good job, but because the Patriots offensive line had a bad game (SB against the Giants).

We're still the team that has had the most success against the Patriots (and against the pass, in general) in the last 3 years, and we've done it without a pass rush.

All Pro
    Burfict! Will take over for Scott and can be used in exotic blitz schemes right up the gut. And imagine him hitting Tom Brady? Yeah, I'm excited...

Let the OLB discussion begin and end with Melvin Ingram. Can hold up against the run, play the pass, and get after the QB. A 270 lbs. man should not be able to move like he does, I know BT and Calvin Pace don't. He reminds me of Terrell Suggs.

Im comfortable with ingram or upshaw. Both can give us what we need at OLB.

Im not a fan of Burfict at all. We can't swing and miss with this pick and he is someone that didn't really play to his ability, had bad penalties, etc.

Not what we need right now. Plus, with harris already here, the ILB in Rex's scheme is someone who is needed to take on blockers etc....not a position to spend money or a high pick on.

Lets just take Mario Williams. Even if they tag him at 22 mil I still think he'd be worth a 1st and 3rd to steal.

All Pro
    Thank god OP isn't running this franchise.

Jets Insider VIP
    As mentioned before, the Broncos have Miller and Dumerville and they still couldn't touch Brady.

There is no Ware/Matthews in this draft class so I don't see the point. Guys like Upshaw and Ingram are really no different than Bryan Thomas or Calvin Pace. They do everything well, but they aren't going to strike fear in opposing QB's.

To me, our defense is good enough to win with. It's our offense that is a complete and total embarassment. We have to go with an offensive player in round 1.

If Richardson falls to us, it's a godsend. But if he doesn't, we need to take a blue chip OL like DeCastro or grab a playmaking receiver like Jeffery, Floyd, or even Kendall Wright.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    Thank god OP isn't running this franchise.
    We all know you're the leading advocate for drafting a QB in the first round, but let me ask you this: do you think the Jets can win the AFC East next year with Calvin Johnson on the roster? I don't, not next year, not with Sanchez -- so I don't see the Jets going with a WR in round 1. The Jets' best shot at surpassing the Pats is with a top-flight defense, which they won't have until their LB talent improves. Time will which of our theories the FO agrees with.

There is no Ware/Matthews in this draft class so I don't see the point. Guys like Upshaw and Ingram are really no different than Bryan Thomas or Calvin Pace. They do everything well, but they aren't going to strike fear in opposing QB's.
    Two things:

1) At this point in the draft there was no Figuratively no Ware in '05 or Matthews in '09. Ware was probably a 2nd rounder until his combine and Matthews was getting 2-3 talk with alot of "he's underrated."

2) I would love to add a younger healthier Pace to this D. Guy is a damn good player. The whole "strike fear" thing is kind of bull**** anyway...the D itself as a whole should do that, like the Ravens'.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Dumervill played with an injured knee last night and Miller hasn't done squat in like a month. They're not an ideal measuring stick

Veteran
    Gotta have a big linebacker that is lean enough to run with tight ends. A tall strong safety works also. I don't think there are any Atwater types in the draft this year so gotta fix it with LB's.

BALL CONTROL

the way to beat Brady is by controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

On offense that means controlling the clock and keeping him OFF the field. Keeping him cold and out of rhythm. And then, you have to score TDs.

On defense, it means getting into his space, at his feet, not letting him step into throws, hitting him, being physical with his receivers and mixing coverages to confuse him while making his pocket uncomfortable. Now, with his TEs it is imperative to have a MLB or a SS that can cover as well.

We have everything necessary to beat Brady except the MLB/SS and the dominating ball control offense.

A ball control offense is the best defense of Brady.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    the way to beat Brady is by controlling the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

On offense that means controlling the clock and keeping him OFF the field. Keeping him cold and out of rhythm. And then, you have to score TDs.

On defense, it means getting into his space, at his feet, not letting him step into throws, hitting him, being physical with his receivers and mixing coverages to confuse him while making his pocket uncomfortable. Now, with his TEs it is imperative to have a MLB or a SS that can cover as well.

We have everything necessary to beat Brady except the MLB/SS and the dominating ball control offense.

A ball control offense is the best defense of Brady.
    Exactly

The Jets and Steelers have shown exactly how you beat the Patriots. Ball control offense and jamming their receivers at the line and disrupting the passing game.

The Pats will eat you alive with slants and screens all day. You have to hit them in the f*cking mouth to throw them off their game. The Ravens can definitely do this.