Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After watching Brady last night, I'm convinced that Jets go OLB in Round 1

All Pro
    We got a lot of ingredients to beat the Patriots, hell, we even gave the blueprint last year in the playoff. We got the cover corners, we got a great defensive mind and we are a very physical team. The plan is to jam the receivers, disrupt their timing and hit Brady early and often. Also make him think twice about certain reads and formations. Keep him guessing.

Now certainly all that didnt help the Jets this season in their two losses. Our safeties are just too bad in coverage, mainly Eric Smith. We got a bunch of slow linebackers aswell. Get some speed and athletisism on the team and I have no doubt in my mind that our defense will atleast keep those high flying offenses like NE or GB at bay, just as they have done almost all three years since Rex has been here. Of course they also need the offense to atleast move the ball a little bit and not go 3 and out 90% of the time...

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Exactly

The Jets and Steelers have shown exactly how you beat the Patriots. Ball control offense and jamming their receivers at the line and disrupting the passing game.

The Pats will eat you alive with slants and screens all day. You have to hit them in the f*cking mouth to throw them off their game. The Ravens can definitely do this.
    if schaub was the QB for HOU, they would have beaten BAL and i would have put money on them beating NE in NE.

They by far have the best combo of BALL CONTROL, and adding that they are an explosive O as well, and STOUT/Physical Defense. They also have a legit #1 CB and athletic ILBs (Cushing and Ryans).

I think the ravens can beat them as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    We got a lot of ingredients to beat the Patriots, hell, we even gave the blueprint last year in the playoff. We got the cover corners, we got a great defensive mind and we are a very physical team. The plan is to jam the receivers, disrupt their timing and hit Brady early and often. Also make him think twice about certain reads and formations. Keep him guessing.

Now certainly all that didnt help the Jets this season in their two losses. Our safeties are just too bad in coverage, mainly Eric Smith. We got a bunch of slow linebackers aswell. Get some speed and athletisism on the team and I have no doubt in my mind that our defense will atleast keep those high flying offenses like NE or GB at bay, just as they have done almost all three years since Rex has been here. Of course they also need the offense to atleast move the ball a little bit and not go 3 and out 90% of the time...
    The one thing i think we have got to make sure of doing is making sure we can run the ball next year starting week 1.

If you cannot dictate terms via ball-control, NE will get ahead and force you into mistakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Dumervill played with an injured knee last night and Miller hasn't done squat in like a month. They're not an ideal measuring stick
    Are you kidding, the jets will not get a player anywhere near as good as either of these guys and either of them would be a MASSIVE upgrade over anything we have now.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Are you kidding, the jets will not get a player anywhere near as good as either of these guys and either of them would be a MASSIVE upgrade over anything we have now.
    No kidding. My point was not to read much into their inability to pressure Brady last night -- they were banged up and played on a short week.

All Pro
    An OLB isn't going to help the Jets overtake the Pats.

Better, more efficient offense play is the only way the Jets can win these battles. They have to put up points to beat Brady. You're not going to completely shut them down. If the defense plays well, the Pats can still score 21.

WRs who can beat coverage and a QB who can hit them would be a good start. The Jets defense, as it stands now, is good enough to keep them in the game. Adding a FS who isn't worthless would certainly help though.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Exactly

The Jets and Steelers have shown exactly how you beat the Patriots. Ball control offense and jamming their receivers at the line and disrupting the passing game.

The Pats will eat you alive with slants and screens all day. You have to hit them in the f*cking mouth to throw them off their game. The Ravens can definitely do this.
    Agreed. We also need LBs and S that can impede their TE's wild running and some sting in the tackles to disupt them and cause doubt. With Brady, Brees etc the DL has to collapse the pocket frquently, hit him and keep him rattled.

a week ago I thought Courtney Upshaw would be perfect for the Jets

now I'm wondering if he will make it there.

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    Agreed. We also need LBs and S that can impede their TE's wild running and some sting in the tackles to disupt them and cause doubt. With Brady, Brees etc the DL has to collapse the pocket frquently, hit him and keep him rattled.
    The NFL is starting to become a TE-league. Davis, Gronk, Graham, Finley etc. We need a Safety that can actually cover. Starting to warm up to the idea of Mark Barron in rd 1.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

Only way Jets get Upshaw is if they trade up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Lets just take Mario Williams. Even if they tag him at 22 mil I still think he'd be worth a 1st and 3rd to steal.
    During today's game I was thinking that with Watt, Barwin, and Reed they might let him go. It's complete and utter bs to think that but there's crazier things. Reggie White left the Eagles...maybe we get lucky.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post

That's my thinking now as well. Miami or Buffalo are possible landing spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Lets just take Mario Williams. Even if they tag him at 22 mil I still think he'd be worth a 1st and 3rd to steal.
    Agreed.
    F.A. SIGNINGS:
    MARIO WILLIAMS
    LARON LANDRY
    LEVI BROWN

Draft:
    OLB
    RT
    TE

Quote Originally Posted by ROPE View Post
    Agreed.
    F.A. SIGNINGS:
    MARIO WILLIAMS
    LARON LANDRY
    LEVI BROWN

Draft:
    OLB
    RT
    TE
    We're going to have only $9-12 mil in cap room. How are we signing both Mario and Laron Landry?

Levi Brown is bad pass protector. Maybe worse than Hunter. He had an ok season last year but he's playing for a contract he will revert to what he was first 4 seasons in the league after he gets paid.

I don't want Landry. He's coming off two injury plagued seasons so that combined with a big, multi-year deal equals disaster for the Jets. I much prefer Tyvon Branch.

If the Jets could somehow figure out how to get Mario that would be awesome. In order to do that the Jets would probably have to do something radical like cut Sanchez (saves us $9mil in cap room) and sign someone like Jason Campbell or David Garrard in FA.

Mario & Maybin on this defense next year? Me likey.