Thread: Mo's Mock Offseason Vol.2

All Pro

Mo's Mock Offseason Vol.2

FEEE AGENCY:
    WR Robert Meachem (Saints)
    Gives us a deep threat we've been missing since Braylon left. Can blow the top off the defense and he should come at a reasonable price with something to prove.
    TE Martellus Bennett (Cowboys)
    Big, athletic tight end who has been somewhat of a dissapointment. Strong blocker who can catch passes for you aswell.
    S Reggie Nelson (Bengals)
    Underrated athletic safety who can do it all in the secondary. Will deliver the big hit and is very good in coverage. A real playmaker who covers a lot of ground.
    OLB Ahmad Brooks (49ers)
    Not a spectacular pass rusher but a strong, rock solid run defender who has starting experience. Won't hurt the development of Maybin or Curry.

DRAFT:
    1st Round - Cordy Glenn (RT, Georgia)
    Big massive mauler who brings a lot of experience and versatiliity. Sparano loves big offensive linemen and we solidify the right side.
    2nd Round - Vinny Curry (OLB, Marshall)
    Prototypical edge rusher with a nasty mean streak to his game. Good production, lot of upside. Jets arent afraid to go with small school prospects.
    3rd Round - Tramain Thomas (S, Arkansas)
    Violent, very athletic safety with tons of range. Equally strong in coverage and in run support, really covers a lot of ground and is a team leader.
    4th Round - Nigel Bradham (ILB, Florida State)
    Athletic, violent linebacker with sideline to sideline speed. Offers a lot of potential in coverage. Great athlete with a lot of experience.
    5th Round - Gerell Robinson (WR, Arizona State)
    Big, physical wideout who kind of underachieved during his career. Not a speedster but a strong possession receiver. Really long and a big target.
    6th Round - Danny Coale (WR, Virginia Tech)
    Well rounded, sure handed receiver who can play inside and outside. Smart player with a knack for getting open. Even punted for VT, nice insurance to have.
    7th Round - Andrew Tiller (OG, Syracuse)
    Massive interior lineman with great size. Prospect pick who might be coached up for the future.

Intentions behind signings and picks:
    Glenn fits Sparano's idea of an offensive lineman to a tee. We finally end the experiment with Hunter and go back to our ground and pound ways. Meachem as a deep receiver will help plus with Bennett we can run more two TE formations. Brooks is a stop gap signing but a good one at that. Overall I tried to add speed and athletisism on both sides of the ball. Especially on defense we aquire guys who can really fly around in Nelson, Curry, Bradham and Thomas. Veterans like Leonhard and Pouha are resigned, others like Plax or BT are let go.

LINEUP:
    QB Mark Sanchez
    RB Shonn Greene/Joe McKnight
    FB John Conner
    WR Robert Meachem/Gerell Robinson
    WR Santonio Holmes/Jeremy Kerley
    TE Dustin Keller/Martellus Bennett
    OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    OG Matt Slauson
    C Nick Mangold
    OG Brandon Moore
    OT Cordy Glenn

DE Muhammad Wilkerson
    NT Sione Pouha
    DE Mike DeVito
    OLB Calvin Pace/Aaron Maybin
    ILB David Harris
    ILB Bart Scott/Nigel Bradham
    OLB Ahmad Brooks/Vinny Curry
    CB Darrelle Revis
    SS Jim Leonhard/Tramain Thomas
    FS Reggie Nelson
    CB Antonio Cromartie

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    FEEE AGENCY:
    WR Robert Meachem (Saints)
    Gives us a deep threat we've been missing since Braylon left. Can blow the top off the defense and he should come at a reasonable price with something to prove.
    TE Martellus Bennett (Cowboys)
    Big, athletic tight end who has been somewhat of a dissapointment. Strong blocker who can catch passes for you aswell.
    S Reggie Nelson (Bengals)
    Underrated athletic safety who can do it all in the secondary. Will deliver the big hit and is very good in coverage. A real playmaker who covers a lot of ground.
    OLB Ahmad Brooks (49ers)
    Not a spectacular pass rusher but a strong, rock solid run defender who has starting experience. Won't hurt the development of Maybin or Curry.

DRAFT:
    1st Round - Cordy Glenn (RT, Georgia)
    Big massive mauler who brings a lot of experience and versatiliity. Sparano loves big offensive linemen and we solidify the right side.
    2nd Round - Vinny Curry (OLB, Marshall)
    Prototypical edge rusher with a nasty mean streak to his game. Good production, lot of upside. Jets arent afraid to go with small school prospects.
    3rd Round - Tramain Thomas (S, Arkansas)
    Violent, very athletic safety with tons of range. Equally strong in coverage and in run support, really covers a lot of ground and is a team leader.
    4th Round - Nigel Bradham (ILB, Florida State)
    Athletic, violent linebacker with sideline to sideline speed. Offers a lot of potential in coverage. Great athlete with a lot of experience.
    5th Round - Gerell Robinson (WR, Arizona State)
    Big, physical wideout who kind of underachieved during his career. Not a speedster but a strong possession receiver. Really long and a big target.
    6th Round - Danny Coale (WR, Virginia Tech)
    Well rounded, sure handed receiver who can play inside and outside. Smart player with a knack for getting open. Even punted for VT, nice insurance to have.
    7th Round - Andrew Tiller (OG, Syracuse)
    Massive interior lineman with great size. Prospect pick who might be coached up for the future.

Intentions behind signings and picks:
    Glenn fits Sparano's idea of an offensive lineman to a tee. We finally end the experiment with Hunter and go back to our ground and pound ways. Meachem as a deep receiver will help plus with Bennett we can run more two TE formations. Brooks is a stop gap signing but a good one at that. Overall I tried to add speed and athletisism on both sides of the ball. Especially on defense we aquire guys who can really fly around in Nelson, Curry, Bradham and Thomas. Veterans like Leonhard and Pouha are resigned, others like Plax or BT are let go.

LINEUP:
    QB Mark Sanchez
    RB Shonn Greene/Joe McKnight
    FB John Conner
    WR Robert Meachem/Gerell Robinson
    WR Santonio Holmes/Jeremy Kerley
    TE Dustin Keller/Martellus Bennett
    OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    OG Matt Slauson
    C Nick Mangold
    OG Brandon Moore
    OT Cordy Glenn

DE Muhammad Wilkerson
    NT Sione Pouha
    DE Mike DeVito
    OLB Calvin Pace/Aaron Maybin
    ILB David Harris
    ILB Bart Scott/Nigel Bradham
    OLB Ahmad Brooks/Vinny Curry
    CB Darrelle Revis
    SS Jim Leonhard/Tramain Thomas
    FS Reggie Nelson
    CB Antonio Cromartie
    Very well thought out and you back up your thought process well. I'm getting into the draft stuff a bit late this year and need to catch up on the players, but I think its solid and the FA are realistic without breaking the bank (even though the Jets should have some money to play around with this year).

Like the intent but not the 1st pick at all. The little research I did on that dude indicates he is a mauling guard. I have been a bit resistant to go after the top rated guard in Decastro at 16. No way I want to go after a position switcher at that point.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Like the intent but not the 1st pick at all. The little research I did on that dude indicates he is a mauling guard. I have been a bit resistant to go after the top rated guard in Decastro at 16. No way I want to go after a position switcher at that point.
    Glenn played a lot of tackle during his career at Georgia. The versatility is a huge plus in my eyes as it gives us more flexibility in the future. Let's say we sign or draft another stud tackle next year with that player presenting the best value, we could move Glenn to guard. He is also an insurance if D'Brick gets injured as he played LT his senior year at UGA.

very well done and i like it. but we need another rb to split carries with greene, mckinght can be the 3rd down back

All Pro
    I'm not a big fan of Meachem at all. I just don't see him ever living up to the potential most people think he has. He's not really much more than a great athlete, and good WRs need to have a little more than that.

I don't know much about Glenn, but my first reaction if they took him would be WTF. He can't be a top 15 player in this draft, can he? At 16, they need to take BPA since there are so many holes on this team. I just can't see a circumstance where Glenn is the BPA at 16. Maybe as the draft season plays out, I'll be enlightened on him and find out that he is a stud OT. As it stands now, not my favorite pick.

Martellus Bennett, IMO, would be a great pickup. He is a much better blocker than most people give him credit for. He's kind of a bonehead and drops balls, but he's a better blocker than Mulligan and a WAY better receiver. I love this pickup.

I'm not too high on Reggie Nelson, athletic yes, but not very smart... and there has to be a balance in Rex's D. We have smart, non-athletic safetys now... going to athletic but dumb players isn't an improvement.

All Pro
    I honestly dont think we should draft an RT in rd1...

We should sign a vet in FA to play RT and go WR or OLB in round 1.....

Quote Originally Posted by carlito1171 View Post
    I honestly dont think we should draft an RT in rd1...

We should sign a vet in FA to play RT and go WR or OLB in round 1.....
    Agreed. If we want to have a passable rt next year vet free agent.

All League
    Read Glenn's interview I just bumped.

The man is VERSATILE who can excel at any position except center. YES to Glenn if we can't move back and no rushing OLBs left
    Last edited by Gas2No99; 01-17-2012 at 11:07 PM.

All Pro
    Agreed. If we want to have a passable rt next year vet free agent.
    Problem is who is available in free agency?!? Demetrius Bell was injured all year and was never anything special. Kareem McKenze is going to be 35 years old and is regressing. Khalif Barnes once had the nickname "Kha-Whiff" because he couldnt pass block. The tackle class is nothing to write home about...

All League
    Love the free agent pursuits, but can't get behind ignoring WR's until round 5. This is an extremely deep FA class. We need to draft 2 of these WR studs in the first 5 rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Problem is who is available in free agency?!? Demetrius Bell was injured all year and was never anything special. Kareem McKenze is going to be 35 years old and is regressing. Khalif Barnes once had the nickname "Kha-Whiff" because he couldnt pass block. The tackle class is nothing to write home about...
    This i realize that is why it has to be a priority that or a trade. We are not going to fix the Rt position by plugging in a rookie. Very few, only top notch prospects can step in on day one.

We are not going to fix the Rt position by plugging in a rookie. Very few, only top notch prospects can step in on day one.
    Marcus Gilbert was a 2nd round pick that started 16 games at RT for the Steelers. It's not easy but it's possible...

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Marcus Gilbert was a 2nd round pick that started 16 games at RT for the Steelers. It's not easy but it's possible...
    Actually there are numerous players who step in their first year and do well on the offensive line, especially higher picks. Orlando Franklin (Denver), Bryan Bulaga (Green Bay), Nate Solder (New England), Jared Veldheer (Oakland) and Tyron Smith (Dallas) are recent examples, even though you can debate about their success.

Would jizz for days if we got Reggie Nelson...but more so based on what he did at UF.

And Bradham in the 4th? I've seen him run Chris Rainey down from behind. He'll blow the roof off the combine, and even if he doesn't, I can guarantee he's one of the fastest LBs in the class on a football field.