Thread: Why we need a WR round 1 or 2

All League

Why we need a WR round 1 or 2

Here is the last 5 years of the leading receiver on the Jets along with their ranking amongst the NFL

#38 Overall Dustin Keller 815 yds 5 TD
    #23 Overall Braylon Edwards 904 yds 7 TD
    #35 Overall Jerricho Cotchery 821 yds 3 TD
    #33 Overall Jerricho Cotchery 858 yds 5 TD
    #16 Overall Jerricho Cotchery 1130 yds 2 TD

So in the last 5 years we haven't had a receiver break into the top 15 in yards or TD's. Not to mention only one of those 5 years did we have a 1000 yard receiver. You can preach ground and pound all you want but if you don't have a dynamic receiver stretching the defense its going to be a futile effort. We need to draft a receiver in the top 2 rounds or its going to be another season with our top WR accumulating 900 yds and 5 td's. Now the real question is who do we pick? I'm not up to speed on the draft class yet but who can really get vertical, aside from blackmon of course because thats a pipe dream. It doesnt seem like Floyd or Jefferey are really legit NFL deep threats no?

All Pro
    i want the toon in the 2nd

I think Dwight Jones is a good deep threat in the second. I think Jeffery is definitely a deep threat and possibly Floyd too. They aren't 4.3 guys but they are huge and are quite fast for their size which makes them a terror to cover when they get downfield.

Hall Of Fame

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyJet View Post
    I'm not up to speed on the draft class yet but who can really get vertical, aside from blackmon of course because thats a pipe dream. It doesnt seem like Floyd or Jefferey are really legit NFL deep threats no?
    They're not speed demons but they move the chains and keep the o on the field and make plays.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I think Dwight Jones is a good deep threat in the second. I think Jeffery is definitely a deep threat and possibly Floyd too. They aren't 4.3 guys but they are huge and are quite fast for their size which makes them a terror to cover when they get downfield.
    Dwight Jones looks good. YOu do know that with a change of OC to someone more sensible we'll use possession more productively and less squandering the ball. Instead of fancy shifts and feints that neuter the Jets O leading to fizzling 3 and outs. Gathering from Sparano's recent statements that means fundamentally sound possession of the ball, a strong running game which sets up the lethal play action.
    I want the Jets to check on Braylon's situation and if healthy sign him for cheap. The guy is a demon out there and his connection with Sanchez is considerably better than Tone's.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    i want the toon in the 2nd
    I'd rather have Sanu or Jones in the second, although I doubt Sanu makes it that far. Toon or J Wright would be ideal third round targets.

Quote Originally Posted by ArmyJet View Post
    Here is the last 5 years of the leading receiver on the Jets along with their ranking amongst the NFL

#38 Overall Dustin Keller 815 yds 5 TD
    #23 Overall Braylon Edwards 904 yds 7 TD
    #35 Overall Jerricho Cotchery 821 yds 3 TD
    #33 Overall Jerricho Cotchery 858 yds 5 TD
    #16 Overall Jerricho Cotchery 1130 yds 2 TD

So in the last 5 years we haven't had a receiver break into the top 15 in yards or TD's.
    We've had plenty of talent at the WR position. The real reason for this is:

1) The Jets have been running conservative, run-first offenses since the Clinton Administration.

2) Guys like Pennington, Favre and Sanchez have been ruined here by this schmuck:

Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    We've had plenty of talent at the WR position. The real reason for this is:

1) The Jets have been running conservative, run-first offenses since the Clinton Administration.

2) Guys like Pennington, Favre and Sanchez have been ruined here by this schmuck:

Our WR group is MASSIVELY overrated and not a talented group. Look what happened to Aaron rogers yesterday, his receivers had about an average jets game for receivers. Our inconsistent Qb has been hamstrung by some really consistently lousy receiver work. We love to praise guys like rogers, Brees and Brady but most of the time their receivers catch everything.