Thread: Martin&theJets Mock Off-Season (Very in-depth, feedback appreciated!)

Martin&theJets Mock Off-Season (Very in-depth, feedback appreciated!)

Key players not returning:

Ladainian Tomlinson RB
    Bart Scott ILB
    Bryan Thomas OLB
    Plaxico Burress WR
    Matthew Mulligan TE

FA:

Woody and Tanny will go out aggressive this year in the FA. I can see a year similar to the year we got Pace and Faneca. We literally made no new acquisitions in the FA last year, Woody and Tanny won't make this mistake again. We have the money (thanks to last offseason) to do some big things.

Reggie Nelson S

Exactly what we need at the Safety position. Heavy hitter and excellent coverage skills. After last nights game its evident that receiving TE will only cause the Jets woes for years to come unless we acquire some of Nelsons athleticism. He will cost a decent amount but well worth it.

Michael Bush RB

Another pricey signing, but could definitely emerge as a legit #1 RB. Having Bush and Greene would do wonders for this offense for years and could possibly give the Jets leverage to trade Greene and get a decent pick. I wanted Bush coming out of Louisville and have liked him ever since. He is going to cost a good amount as well. Nelson and Bush will be our two big signings.

Levi Brown RT

Easily an upgrade over Hunter. Brown still faces problems with inconsistency but is overall a decent player. He is still very young and has yet to come close to his peak. Many posters want us to go OL very early in this draft, drafting a RT and also a replacement for Slauson/Moore. One thing that is being over looked, is the fact you simply cannot have superstars at every single position on the line, It's simply not affordable. Slauson is solid and very serviceable and hasn't done anything to be replaced. Brown is just as solid, if not better than Slauson.

Chad Henne QB

No explanation needed. He is still very young and can help get the organization get the best out of Sanchez by constant competition. I don't think Henne's days as a starter are numbered. He could possibly be trade bait later on down the road.

DRAFT:

1) Nick Perry USC OLB

Perry is the fastest project 3-4 OLB in the draft. He has an excellent variety of pass rushing moves and is solid in coverage. An overall good player and an even better pash rusher. USC has a good reputation regarding LBs and Perry should do nothing but prove it.

He is my #3 overall 3-4 OLB in the Draft, But I see Mercilus going to possibly the Panthers and, or definitely before #16 and see Upshaw going to the Bills and or, definitely before #16. Perry would be a good choice based on our remaining needs.

2) Dwight Jones UNC WR

Jones was an very solid WR on the college level and will be the same in the NFL. He locates the ball perfectly and goes up and gets it at the highest point. He isn't afraid to take some big hits in it means coming down with the ball. Excellent hands and even better route running. If the ball is intended for him, you better believe he is going to end up with it. Coming from the same program as Hakeem Nicks and could quite possibly be just as good.

3) Nigel Bradham FSU LB

All though Bradham played OLB in college he translates to a ILB in the NFL. The kid put up top numbers at FSU throughout his entire career, despite the fact that FSU was near the bottom in all defensive categories. The lone bright spot on that team for the last 3 years (aside from Ponder). He's extremely tough and can lay the wood. He's a physical dude and fits this defense perfectly. Insane speed and can cover sideline to sideline. He has hawked down some of the fastest RBs in the nation.

4) Tramain Thomas Arkansas S

Thomas provides even more much needed depth at the safety position. Aside for Lowery when was the last time this team drafted a safety? Although Nelson helps out tremendously, Leonhard could quite possibly be on his way out due repeated injury if it were to happen again. Leonhard is also undersized and can only do so much. Thomas is extremely athletic and almost a CB rather than a S. He is a bit of a liability in the run game but that can be coached. He is excellent in coverage and that is what this defense needs.

Depth Chart:

QB: Sanchez
    RB: Greene/Bush
    FB: Conner

WR: Holmes, Jones, Kerley
    TE: Keller, Cumberland

LT: D'Brick
    LG: Slauson
    C: Mangold
    RG: Moore
    RT: Brown

DE: Wilkerson
    NT: Pouha
    DT: DeVito

OLB: Perry
    WLB: Bradham
    MLB: Harris
    OLB: Pace/Maybin

CB: Revis, Cromartie, Wilson
    S: Nelson, Leonhard, Thomas

Thanks in advance for the feedback guys!

Took a fairly realistic approach and something I can see happening and would be all for happening.

Hope y'all like it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Very nice

I just don't know about relying on Dwight Jones as our #2 from day one.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Very nice

Very understandable. I could see the front office doing it though. I mean they did rely on a WR straight out of prison from day one. So it can't be much worse, right..?

All League
    I would be very happy with the draft, very unhappy with the free agency.

If the Jets get a free agent Safety, I'd much rather have Branch or Griffin than Nelson.

The Jets don't need a Running Back in free agency, and if they get one, I don't want it to be one that is similar to Greene, which is what Bush is. I don't want any part of Micahel Bush or Peyton Hillis.

I could live with Levi Brown at RT, I think he's very serviceable at RT, but was over matched when he flipped sides.

Chad Henne is another person I would pass on. The QB I would like to see(for the right price) is Jason Campbell. Someone that can be starter caliber, but been around the block long enough that he can still help Sanchez grow. Henne fits the former, not the latter.

In the Draft, I like Perry in the first round if we don't go WR, but if we go WR in round 2 I'd prefer Rueben Randle over Jones, just because I think Randle has a bigger upside.

Just my thoughts, definitely like your draft though.

Very nice

I think Dwight Jones could work out very well for us. i see alot of Hakeem Nicks in him. And we all see how well that has turned out for the Giants.

Hall Of Fame
    I like the draft but not FA. I'd rather keep Plax and Scott and want nothing to do with Henne. Bush is to much like Greene so there's no point of getting him. I like the idea of getting a S I'd prefer branch but any of the top S would be an approvement.

Good job.

The Brown, Henne, and Perry moves are really the only ones that make me feel all funny inside. Actually, the Arkansas safety isn't so bad...Too early on Jones and Bradham IMO...

Perry makes alot of sense for this team...him or Curry for me.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Very nice

We should look for a second tier veteran WR in FA, a guy who could start as the #2 but isn't a difference maker and could come relatively cheap.

Honestly, I'd try to bring back Braylon Edwards for cheap $ AND draft a WR in the second round.

All Pro
    Love it, looks a lot like my last mock offseason so I really like it...

Anyways, couple of things. I dont think the Jets will go into the season with a third rounder penciled in as their starter at ILB (Bradham). I think they might be high on Mauga but only then they can afford to let Bart Scott go. Im not a huge fan of Nick Perry and I could see another player being a better choice but well, in the end we all got our favorites...

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    We should look for a second tier veteran WR in FA, a guy who could start as the #2 but isn't a difference maker and could come relatively cheap.

Honestly, I'd try to bring back Braylon Edwards for cheap $ AND draft a WR in the second round.
    I like the thinking that went into this thread and mock. Well done mate. However I do agree that we need to check out Braylon's deal. When healthy this guy is a difference maker and his connection with Sanchez was the beginning of something special.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin&theJets View Post
    Key players not returning:

Ladainian Tomlinson RB
    Bart Scott ILB
    Bryan Thomas OLB
    Plaxico Burress WR
    Matthew Mulligan TE

FA:

Woody and Tanny will go out aggressive this year in the FA. I can see a year similar to the year we got Pace and Faneca. We literally made no new acquisitions in the FA last year, Woody and Tanny won't make this mistake again. We have the money (thanks to last offseason) to do some big things.

Reggie Nelson S

Exactly what we need at the Safety position. Heavy hitter and excellent coverage skills. After last nights game its evident that receiving TE will only cause the Jets woes for years to come unless we acquire some of Nelsons athleticism. He will cost a decent amount but well worth it.

Michael Bush RB

Another pricey signing, but could definitely emerge as a legit #1 RB. Having Bush and Greene would do wonders for this offense for years and could possibly give the Jets leverage to trade Greene and get a decent pick. I wanted Bush coming out of Louisville and have liked him ever since. He is going to cost a good amount as well. Nelson and Bush will be our two big signings.

Levi Brown RT

Easily an upgrade over Hunter. Brown still faces problems with inconsistency but is overall a decent player. He is still very young and has yet to come close to his peak. Many posters want us to go OL very early in this draft, drafting a RT and also a replacement for Slauson/Moore. One thing that is being over looked, is the fact you simply cannot have superstars at every single position on the line, It's simply not affordable. Slauson is solid and very serviceable and hasn't done anything to be replaced. Brown is just as solid, if not better than Slauson.

Chad Henne QB

No explanation needed. He is still very young and can help get the organization get the best out of Sanchez by constant competition. I don't think Henne's days as a starter are numbered. He could possibly be trade bait later on down the road.

DRAFT:

1) Nick Perry USC OLB

Perry is the fastest project 3-4 OLB in the draft. He has an excellent variety of pass rushing moves and is solid in coverage. An overall good player and an even better pash rusher. USC has a good reputation regarding LBs and Perry should do nothing but prove it.

He is my #3 overall 3-4 OLB in the Draft, But I see Mercilus going to possibly the Panthers and, or definitely before #16 and see Upshaw going to the Bills and or, definitely before #16. Perry would be a good choice based on our remaining needs.

2) Dwight Jones UNC WR

Jones was an very solid WR on the college level and will be the same in the NFL. He locates the ball perfectly and goes up and gets it at the highest point. He isn't afraid to take some big hits in it means coming down with the ball. Excellent hands and even better route running. If the ball is intended for him, you better believe he is going to end up with it. Coming from the same program as Hakeem Nicks and could quite possibly be just as good.

3) Nigel Bradham FSU LB

All though Bradham played OLB in college he translates to a ILB in the NFL. The kid put up top numbers at FSU throughout his entire career, despite the fact that FSU was near the bottom in all defensive categories. The lone bright spot on that team for the last 3 years (aside from Ponder). He's extremely tough and can lay the wood. He's a physical dude and fits this defense perfectly. Insane speed and can cover sideline to sideline. He has hawked down some of the fastest RBs in the nation.

4) Tramain Thomas Arkansas S

Thomas provides even more much needed depth at the safety position. Aside for Lowery when was the last time this team drafted a safety? Although Nelson helps out tremendously, Leonhard could quite possibly be on his way out due repeated injury if it were to happen again. Leonhard is also undersized and can only do so much. Thomas is extremely athletic and almost a CB rather than a S. He is a bit of a liability in the run game but that can be coached. He is excellent in coverage and that is what this defense needs.

Depth Chart:

QB: Sanchez
    RB: Greene/Bush
    FB: Conner

WR: Holmes, Jones, Kerley
    TE: Keller, Cumberland

LT: D'Brick
    LG: Slauson
    C: Mangold
    RG: Moore
    RT: Brown

DE: Wilkerson
    NT: Pouha
    DT: DeVito

OLB: Perry
    WLB: Bradham
    MLB: Harris
    OLB: Pace/Maybin

CB: Revis, Cromartie, Wilson
    S: Nelson, Leonhard, Thomas

Thanks in advance for the feedback guys!

Took a fairly realistic approach and something I can see happening and would be all for happening.

Hope y'all like it.

How Is M Bush any better than what the Jets have at RB. Okay he can catch the football probably better than the guys you have(assuming LT gone) . BIg deal. Your going to make a splash in Free agency you want a running back that a game changer(threat to score from anywhere) and not a M bush typ0e(dime a dozen) .

If thats your approach its better to go with what you have at Rb, and seriously upgrade the oline . That IMO is where your going to get the most bang for your buck.

I like most of it, certainly the intent. Scoring two safeties is big in my books. RE the Fa's, might want Demetrious Bell over Brown. Brown seems to get dissed a lot. I like the WR pickup. Bush I like but the Jets should have at leat one or two comp picks this year. Wouldn't mind getting a RB late.

Bilal Powell is the big question mark here, can this guy play?

We have to use a later round pick or cheap FA on a TE with Mulligan being sent to the glue factory.

I'm not sure about the drafts prospects specifically because I don't really follow college football too much and don't know too much about the prospects until after the combine.

That said, I really like the positions you picked in the rounds you picked them in. I agree if Mercilus is available, he should be our #1 pick. Otherwise, i'm don't know much about the other guys.

I'm hoping somebody a little more consistent than levi brown becomes available as the offseason progresses, but I again agree that RT is something that should be addressed in free agency.

Good Stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by iahawkeyejet View Post
    I would be very happy with the draft, very unhappy with the free agency.

If the Jets get a free agent Safety, I'd much rather have Branch or Griffin than Nelson.

The Jets don't need a Running Back in free agency, and if they get one, I don't want it to be one that is similar to Greene, which is what Bush is. I don't want any part of Micahel Bush or Peyton Hillis.

I could live with Levi Brown at RT, I think he's very serviceable at RT, but was over matched when he flipped sides.

Chad Henne is another person I would pass on. The QB I would like to see(for the right price) is Jason Campbell. Someone that can be starter caliber, but been around the block long enough that he can still help Sanchez grow. Henne fits the former, not the latter.

In the Draft, I like Perry in the first round if we don't go WR, but if we go WR in round 2 I'd prefer Rueben Randle over Jones, just because I think Randle has a bigger upside.

Just my thoughts, definitely like your draft though.
    This minus Levi Brown. Brown is done.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post

Agreed

If Braylon's knee checks out, then I wouldn't mind bringing him back.

Jerome Simpson, Harry Douglas, and Early Doucet could be options as well.

3) Nigel Bradham FSU LB

This is only a shot at the bold, but, are you ****ing kidding me? How did you even come to this conclusion? Bradham the lone bright spot and the FSU D ranks near bottom in all categories? Since he started in 2008, up to and including this year (08; 09; 10; 11):

Scoring Defense Rank: 26; 94; 20; 4.

Rushing Defense Rank: 42; 108; 29; 2.

Passing Defense Rank: 6; 77; 71; 20.

TOTAL DEFENSE RANK: 15; 108; 42; 4.

INTs Rank: T86; T35; T34; T18.

Sacks Rank: T6; T53; T1; T6.

Save for the 2009 Season, none of these are 'near bottom' and with as many sacks/INTs as this team has had he is far from the 'lone bright spot'

Quote Originally Posted by GreeneWarMachine View Post
    This is only a shot at the bold, but, are you ****ing kidding me? How did you even come to this conclusion? Bradham the lone bright spot and the FSU D ranks near bottom in all categories? Since he started in 2008, up to and including this year (08; 09; 10; 11):

Scoring Defense Rank: 26; 94; 20; 4.

Rushing Defense Rank: 42; 108; 29; 2.

Passing Defense Rank: 6; 77; 71; 20.

TOTAL DEFENSE RANK: 15; 108; 42; 4.

INTs Rank: T86; T35; T34; T18.

Sacks Rank: T6; T53; T1; T6.

Save for the 2009 Season, none of these are 'near bottom' and with as many sacks/INTs as this team has had he is far from the 'lone bright spot'
    I meant in the ACC not the nation

I meant in the ACC not the nation
    08; 09; 10; 11.

(All out of 12 teams)

Scoring D: 5; 10; 3; 1.

Rush D: 6; 12(Last); 6; 1.

Pass D: 1; 11; 7; 1.

Total D: 3; 12(Last); 7; 1.

INTs: 11; 4; 6; 2.

Sacks: 1; T5; 1; 1.

Or did you mean just the Atlantic Division?

So what exactly is the word on Bradham? Is he really the goods... Is he a worthwhile pick with our 3rd and could he be a difference maker...