Thread: Michael Brockers DT LSU

Michael Brockers DT LSU

I had no intention of thinking about DL early this year. OLB? Yes. Even more general, pass rusher? Yes. A true 3-4 DL? Well, no one seemed appealing enough.

Then I heard that this guy declared for the draft. To that all I have to say is that it now sucks that DL is probably not a real option. Redshirt sophomore who stands 6'6" and weights 305 with great natural athleticism and power. We're basically talking a guy with a Richard Seymour/Kevin Williams/Stroud/Henderson/Haynesworth frame and possibly even upside...Of course, he's nowhere close to Seymour coming out of Georgia or any of those other guys, but the upside is amongst the best in this draft class and he's most likely a very legit first round pick.

This is a name I'll be following the rest of the season. Has the potential to be the first DT off the board.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-17-2012 at 12:53 PM.

All Pro
    The thought of a young DLine of Wilkerson, Ellis and Brockers for the future is one hell of a nice thought. But it would be an absolute luxury to draft another DLine guy early as this is basically the deepest part of our entire team. Ropati, Dixon and Ellis (even though some people get impatient) have all shown they can be solid contributors for years to come. MTV is another guy the coaching staff loves and he is basically never active.

I suspect he's the first DT drafted. A well respected draft analyst just compared him to Richard Seymour.

He stood out in the nat champ game for me. Good guy to keep an eye on.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    The thought of a young DLine of W
    ilkerson, Ellis and Brockers for the future is one hell of a nice thought. But it would be an absolute luxury to draft another DLine guy early as this is basically the deepest part of our entire team. Ropati, Dixon and Ellis (even though some people get impatient) have all shown they can be solid contributors for years to come. MTV is another guy the coaching staff loves and he is basically never active.
    I'm DL through and through when it comes to the draft...I haven't seen a DT with the tackle height and length come out with a first round grade since that crop from the early 2000's that produced a who's who of DTs (the name are up there in the OP).

He's got pretty much the exact measurements of Richard Seymour, which is probably why bit mentions someone already made the comparison.

I like our depth guys but F is a talent like this interesting...I've always wanted a DL like the Pats had in Seymour/Wilfork/Warren...complete with a monstrous (either 6'6 315 like Seymour or 6'5 330 like Ngata) DT/DE anchoring at the RDE spot...a DL of Brockers/DeVito-Ellis/Wilkerson is straight pron to me. Right now I'd guess that he's picked in the 11-15 range when it's all said and done, but that could be me jumping the gun.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-17-2012 at 01:00 PM.

All Pro
    He could be special. Guys that big should not be allowed to move like he does.

Undrafted Free Agent
    I've heard a bit about him, not only isn't he the best Defensive lineman he's not the best at his position.

Young guys that play at a decent level always get the great upside label.
    Not worth a first round pick, well at least for our team.

if he stayed another year i think he would help himself.

But he's got good "Measurable's" LOL cause that means anything...

i'd take him in the third

Quote Originally Posted by CR8ZMIKE View Post
    I've heard a bit about him, not only isn't he the best Defensive lineman he's not the best at his position.

Uh you might be the only one who thinks that... from your other posts you don't seem all that knowledgeable on the draft. Or perhaps you differ from almost everyone else in your opinions. Either way I think your post is completely wrong

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by CR8ZMIKE View Post

Yeah, measureables mean absolutely nothing. That's why all the coaches, GMs, scouts, and owners attend the scouting combine every year. They just love to waste their time, or maybe it's just because they like seeing young men in tight shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I suspect he's the first DT drafted. A well respected draft analyst just compared him to Richard Seymour.
    That's high praise indeed.

But other DL guys taken early in the draft have also disappointed eg Carriker, the Tyson guy who went to KC etc

Quote Originally Posted by FijiJet View Post
    That's high praise indeed.

But other DL guys taken early in the draft have also disappointed eg Carriker, the Tyson guy who went to KC etc
    Better size than both.