Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: walterfootball.com 2012 NFL Mock Draft (UPDATED 1/18)

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like

walterfootball.com 2012 NFL Mock Draft (UPDATED 1/18)

16.- New York Jets: Whitney Mercilus, DE/OLB, Illinois
    Despite the addition of Muhammad Wilkerson, the Jets still need to improve their pass rush so Rex Ryan doesn't have to call blitzes every single down. Rush linebacker Bryan Thomas tore his Achilles tendon earlier in the year, so this position has become even more dire for New York.

As noted in our Whitney Mercilus scouting report (click the link), the Illinois pass-rusher has Jason Pierre Paul-type potential. He's a candidate to rise on Draft Day, so that's what I'm projecting here.

47.- New York Jets: Reuben Randle, WR, LSU
    It's hard to imagine Santonio Holmes being back with the team after what he pulled during the final week of the season. The Jets really need to address the wideout position.

78.- New York Jets: Brandon Weeden, QB, Oklahoma State
    There are some rumblings out of New York that the coaching staff is losing faith in Mark Sanchez. Can you blame them? He just threw two picks to 300-pound Randy Starks. If it's true, the front office may spend a Day 2 selection on a quarterback to provide some competition.

108.- New York Jets: Chris Givens, WR, Wake Forest
    Given the state of the Jets' receiving corps, it wouldn't shock me at all to see them double up on wideouts early in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Thoughts?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    so with 4 picks the jets don't address OL or S?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB is a wasted pick, Mercilus carries too much risk and Givens is scared of contact. Horrible draft in my opinion...

Practice Squad
    Post Thanks / Like
    Whether its Mercillus, Ingram, or Upshaw I really think the first pick has to be a pass rusher, unless Reiff or Martin falls which I don't see happening.

After that the 2nd round pick is a toss up

WR, ILB who can press a tight end, S, maybe a T for depth (this assumes they sign a veteran T), or even another pass rusher.

At the end of the day you want the first three picks to address a need on offense or defense.

I said ILB who can press because even a guy like patrick willis had trouble with a TE like Jimmy Graham. When the giants beat the pats they rushed 4 and had kiwanuka disrupt the timing of gronkowski with press coverage.

The steelers did the same thing only they pressed more often and on everybody.

The advantage the Jets have is with their secondary, if they could rush 4, I believe they could double hernandez and gronk and leave wilson, cromartie, and revis on islands and cause the pats big problems.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    QB is a wasted pick
    No it is not. Not if they believe Weeden is going to be real good at this level. Look what the Packers do at qb. If you believe a guy is going to be good at the most important position in the league, you take him.

Its not like we have a guy entrenched at the position. If Sanchez struggles again this year, he is out of here.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a fan of it. I'd rather get a vet QB then draft one in the 3rd and I think drafting to WRs isn't to smart when there are so many other needs.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    The idea that you "address" a position in rounds 3 thru 7 isn't right. Perhaps round 3 is debatable. But in those rounds, the bust rate is so high and the legitimate way to look at it is to take a guy who you really think can become a good NFL player, regardless of position.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    IMO all these mocks being done prior to April 15th are useless considering Free Agency/Trades can change and address weaknesses/needs viewed today.

The mocks are good to learn names and potential round value but other than that...meaningless. JMO

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    No it is not. Not if they believe Weeden is going to be real good at this level. Look what the Packers do at qb. If you believe a guy is going to be good at the most important position in the league, you take him.

Its not like we have a guy entrenched at the position. If Sanchez struggles again this year, he is out of here.
    While I agree with this, I'd take Brock from the Sun Devils. I am not sure he provides the immediate pressure some desire on Sanchez, but his upside is huge in my mind.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont like any of the names listed above...but I love the premise of drafting 2 wide receivers. This is such a deep class of WRs...we could get some real steals at WR in the middle rounds.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    While I agree with this, I'd take Brock from the Sun Devils. I am not sure he provides the immediate pressure some desire on Sanchez, but his upside is huge in my mind.

i suspect that upside will not be a secret by draft and that puts him in the late 1st conversation.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    i suspect that upside will not be a secret by draft and that puts him in the late 1st conversation.
    I am counting on you bit to stem this tide lol. Yea I am thinking mid 2nd as his ceiling personally. But teams go nuts over QBs so situations is very fluid.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    I dont like any of the names listed above...but I love the premise of drafting 2 wide receivers. This is such a deep class of WRs...we could get some real steals at WR in the middle rounds.
    if the jets could get a cotch in rounds 3-5 i'd be happy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    if the jets could get a cotch in rounds 3-5 i'd be happy.
    A playmaker I hope, even the 2-5 range. The WR draft pool and FA list are littered with talent.

I'd find it hard to imagine they use the 1rst on anything other than OL or OLB.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I am counting on you bit to stem this tide lol. Yea I am thinking mid 2nd as his ceiling personally. But teams go nuts over QBs so situations is very fluid.
    lol. as you know guys that are 6'7" but aren't statues don't come round every day.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    IMO all these mocks being done prior to April 15th are useless considering Free Agency/Trades can change and address weaknesses/needs viewed today.

The mocks are good to learn names and potential round value but other than that...meaningless. JMO
    Very true but they give us something to do while we watch other teams in the playoffs/superbowl.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a lousy draft that seems cobbled together by the creator without seeking to properly address team needs. This mock draft is a bust

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    The idea that you "address" a position in rounds 3 thru 7 isn't right. Perhaps round 3 is debatable. But in those rounds, the bust rate is so high and the legitimate way to look at it is to take a guy who you really think can become a good NFL player, regardless of position.
    you misunderstood my comment. the mock in this thread predicted 4 draft picks for the jets in rounds 1-4. they did not have the jets selecting either an OL or an S. i objected to the mock, on the grounds that they did not have the jets 'addressing' either of these positions in rounds 1-4.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    lol. as you know guys that are 6'7" but aren't statues don't come round every day.
    Spread a rumor that he snorts coke... lol that'll do the trick... wait Cincy would probably trade up to get him... nevermind.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a big fan of that draft at all.