Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: David Wilson: The next great one

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like

David Wilson: The next great one

Let's face it guys were probably not going to get Trent Richardson. He is too good not to go in the top ten and I don't see the Jets trading up to get him. I know we have drafted a RB the last three years but none of the rb's on our roster have the ability to change a game like a #1 should. Shonn Green is nice, but he is not a game breaker, not fast enough on the outside to scare teams, and really can't catch all that well. He doesn't scare anyone and defenses don't respect him enough to try to game plan around him. Plus, If Green goes down with an injury there is no one who can carry the load.
    The other rb's: mcknight - 3rd down back.
    Powell - meh. waste of pick in my opinion
    LT - love him but past his prime
    Let's face it guys Sanchez needs all the help he can get and with Sparano coming in he is going to want to establish the ground attack. What we need is a game breaker, what we need is some David Wilson. Projected as a 2nd rounder guy has 4.3 speed, tough as nails, great reciever out of the backfield if we could steal him somehow in round two, pair that with either Floyd or Jeffery in the first, OT Bell in FA we will be set. Here are some highlights of my man d- will

http://youtu.be/J1bO123KOEM
    Last edited by NowLet'sGoEatAF'NSnack; 01-18-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    There's a couple of speed demons this year at RB. I can't wait to see their 40s at the combine but considering this isn't track it's not all that important.

I seen a few games with Wilson and wouldn't mind getting him in the second as long as S, WR, OLB and OT is taken care of with the 1st pick and FA but I highly doubt he's going to fall that far.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah there is definitely a lot of speed coming from the rb position this year. I think David Wilson has the most upside of any rb in this draft and that includes T- Rich. His ability to run inside and out with power and speed, his second gear is ridiculous, can change a game with one run, and his ability to catch out of the backfield. only knock is his pass protection which you can fix. Hopefully he falls but i doubt it after the combine.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm fine with Greene and McKnight for one more year. RB is really not a major concern IMO. Greene wasn't lights out but looked pretty solid at the end of the year and KcKnight showed some good potential. Despite a bad year on the ground Greene still had 4.2 YPC and LT was pretty good too. If both had stayed healthy I think we'd look pretty good in rushing. I think Green is good for a 4.7 average next year he is just hitting his prime.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I hear what your saying, Green is a good back similar to thomas jones, he is a grinder. When he gets holes to run through he'll gain 5-10 yds, rarely will he break a run of 20 yds or more. He can average 4 yds per carry and help move the chains but he won't be making any game changing runs to take a little pressure off sanchez and the passing attack. At this point Mcknight is a situational scat back who fumbles (i dont trust him) In my opinion what this offense is missing is a ROT, a big fast WR (who can catch), and a RB like Wilson who can take it to the house at any moment, catch like a wr, run inside and outside, he would just open so much for this O in my opinion. The guy will be like MJD. Every time he steps on the field the def has to account for him. Pull the trigger Tanny

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Chris Polk will be a better pro at 6' 222lbs with 40 times like 4.4 and 4.9 this guy is a load he blocks well and catches out of the backfield someone is gonna get a 2nd round steal.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Panther View Post
    Chris Polk will be a better pro at 6' 222lbs with 40 times like 4.4 and 4.9 this guy is a load he blocks well and catches out of the backfield someone is gonna get a 2nd round steal.
    I think Polk is the 2nd best RB in the draft and should go in the 1st round. Richardson will be the 1st back taken and Polk, Wilson and Miller will go depending on their combine. I have them in the order at the moment.

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok so that D.Wilson hilghlight had me all fired up I was ready to go out there with him wow. Trading down in the 1st round to get some extra mid round picks would go a long way tin filling the holes. Who can say no to Wilson after watching that.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilson looks like he definitely be a good pro - but he does look more like a McKnight type - not as big as you'd want for an every-down back.

But I agree - this kind of edge-breaking combined with Greene would make for a great strategic combination.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    4.4 and 4.9 is a pretty big differential Panther. I have seen Polk run i think he is similar to shonn greene. Good player between the tackles but doesn't have the speed imo to break it outside. I think Wilson is much faster and more elusive. Wilson will be able to run away from defenders consistently at the next level, I don't think Polk will be able to consistently in the nfl.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NowLet'sGoEatAF'NSnack View Post
    4.4 and 4.9 is a pretty big differential Panther. I have seen Polk run i think he is similar to shonn greene. Good player between the tackles but doesn't have the speed imo to break it outside. I think Wilson is much faster and more elusive. Wilson will be able to run away from defenders consistently at the next level, I don't think Polk will be able to consistently in the nfl.
    Wilson is faster then Polk but about 20lbs lighter. Polk has better speed and moves the Greene does.

http://youtu.be/o46hjBKtNw8

Waterboy
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rise your hand if you get the same uneasy feeling that I get when greene and mcknight have the ball in their hands.Fumble!!! oh god! D. Wilson tends to put the ball on the ground and turnovers killed us in 2011. Doug Martin anyone??? how high is he on board???

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LOVEJET26 View Post
    Rise your hand if you get the same uneasy feeling that I get when greene and mcknight have the ball in their hands.Fumble!!! oh god! D. Wilson tends to put the ball on the ground and turnovers killed us in 2011. Doug Martin anyone??? how high is he on board???
    I've seen him as the 5th 6th RB, 3rd round. I don't think the RB class this year isn't all that great.
    Last edited by New York Mick; 01-18-2012 at 10:19 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont know if David Wilson is the next great one

but I agree with 2 general points 1) the Jets need someone fast who can make a big play 2) there are a ton of good RB after Richardson in this draft.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    5th 6th?? You're crazy mick. David Wilson will be the best rb to come out of this draft- maybe t-rich depends on the situation. V-tech oline sucked last year and this guy still put great numbers up. Yeah he put the ball on the floor a couple times this year but its not a chronic problem like mcknight. Put this guy behind alabamb's oline and see what he does. His legs are ****in tree trunks for christ sakes. Chris polk and L. Miller are nice players but Wilson is special. You will see.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=New York Mick;4336973]Wilson is faster then Polk but about 20lbs lighter. Polk has better speed and moves the Greene does.

http://youtu.be/o46hjBKtNw8[/QUOTE

I just watched Wilson in the Allstate Sugar bowl against Michigan I believe I was not impressed 82 yards on 24 carries in a game that went to overtime this kid will struggle at first in the NFL if all you needed was speed alot of guys would have been stars it took college superstar Reggie Bush until this season to crack the 1000 yard code Wilson is nothing special we have all seen his kind before.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's fine you're entitled to your opinion. This is all speculation of course and just fun to talk about. We wont know anything till we see him in pads next season, but I would not hold that Bowl game against him. If you watched that game Michigan had 8 & 9 guys in the box trying to stop Wilson, trying to make their young qb beat them. Like I said V-Tech's o-line is below average in my opinion didnt really give him nothing to work with in that game. He is a reggie bush type but with more power, his lower half is like MJD'S. I think he would be a perfect complement to Shonn Greene Check out his scouting report:

Inside Running : Despite being just above 200 pounds Wilson is a deceptively good runner between the tackles. He has incredible balance and good power. Heís not likely to make a living running between the tackles but he wonít shy away from running inside in the NFL. He plays behind his pads and runs with a low center of gravity. Wilson will have to get to the hole without dancing in the backfield.

Outside Running: Wilson will make his living on the edge in the NFL. He has a burst of speed that isnít seen often and the second gear to break away from defenders. He has excellent agility that allows him to cut back inside on outside runs that are stuffed.

Hands: Wilson may be one the best pass catching RBís in the draft. He is a bit of a Percy Harvin-type that is a threat out of the backfield. In open space he is a homerun threat. Teams will look to find ways to get Wilson the ball out of the backfield as heís a threat to take it the distance. Virginia Tech didnít do a great job of utilizing his ability to catch the football out of the backfield but NFL teams will look to exploit this ability.

Bottom Line: Wilson has a blend of speed and power that is rare. He can flat out fly but also has the power and wiggle to break tackles. He is a nightmare in the open field to bring down. If Wilson learns to block in the NFL and gets to holes without trying to create too much he could be a flat out steal for a team in the second round.

Exactly what we need.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    5th 6th?? You're crazy mick. David Wilson will be the best rb to come out of this draft- maybe t-rich depends on the situation. V-tech oline sucked last year and this guy still put great numbers up. Yeah he put the ball on the floor a couple times this year but its not a chronic problem like mcknight. Put this guy behind alabamb's oline and see what he does. His legs are ****in tree trunks for christ sakes. Chris polk and L. Miller are nice players but Wilson is special. You will see.
    I was talking about Martin. He's the 5th or 6th best back in this draft and will prob get drafted around the 3rd. I have Wilson behind Richardson and Polk, I think he'll go late first early 2nd before we draft again. If Wilson kills the combine he could easily go in the first round. I think Miller is over rated.

If Wilson is available at 32 or whatever our 2nd pick is I'd jump all over it.

Veteran
    North Shore of Long Island. East Setauket
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let's face it guys were probably not going to get Trent Richardson. He is too good not to go in the top ten and I don't see the Jets trading up to get him. I know we have drafted a RB the last three years but none of the rb's on our roster have the ability to change a game like a #1 should. Shonn Green is nice, but he is not a game breaker, not fast enough on the outside to scare teams, and really can't catch all that well. He doesn't scare anyone and defenses don't respect him enough to try to game plan around him. Plus, If Green goes down with an injury there is no one who can carry the load.
    The other rb's: mcknight - 3rd down back.
    Powell - meh. waste of pick in my opinion
    LT - love him but past his prime
    Let's face it guys Sanchez needs all the help he can get and with Sparano coming in he is going to want to establish the ground attack. What we need is a game breaker, what we need is some David Wilson. Projected as a 2nd rounder guy has 4.3 speed, tough as nails, great reciever out of the backfield if we could steal him somehow in round two, pair that with either Floyd or Jeffery in the first, OT Bell in FA we will be set. Here are some highlights of my man d- will

http://youtu.be/J1bO123KOEM
    too bad we have no idea what we are gonna do in the draft as long as Rex is at the Helm we may do anything or what i mean anything is possible...All i care about is getting a stud in round 1 then Getting steals later on and pick up some nice FA and get after it....Baseball hasnt started yet and I want to watch Practice already...I honestly think not going to Cortland played a part in our teams attitude and the way we played the season.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    I dont know if David Wilson is the next great one

but I agree with 2 general points 1) the Jets need someone fast who can make a big play 2) there are a ton of good RB after Richardson in this draft.
    A ton? Who do you think is going to be good other then Polk and Wilson?

Miller is overrated if he didn't play for UM he wouldn't be in the top 5 and James is a change of pass back at best. The other are just average.