Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Personal Biggest Miss

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Personal Biggest Miss

It's easy enough to know who the top talent is the NFL draft and, as we know, some of them bust. Buy we all have had players we thought everyone under-rated and, for whatever reason, we believed would be stars once in the NFL. What is your biggest whiff? A guy who you, and you alone, thought would be special, and turned out to be more special needs when it came to his NFL career.

Mine is pretty embarrassing.... The immortal P.T.Willis. That's right, Peter Tom Willis, coming off his one an only starting season at FSU with a passer rating of 148.5, 15 school season/game passing records, and 10 straight wins highlited by a 41-17 pasting of the Huskers in the Fiesta Bowl, I was convinced he would light it up in the NFL. When hearing the Bears had selected him in the 3d round, I exclaimed "steal of the draft, the bears just got the next Marino!"

Oh P.T. there are not stars in the cosmos to measure the depth of my disappointment in your meager career....

.... but then again maybe it was the Ditka's fault?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gholston and it's not really close.

I also dislike Clay Matthews...still do really.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was pretty convinced that Reggie Bush = Gale Sayers

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I totally bought into the Dewayne Robertson is the next Warren Sapp hype.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    bought into Darren McFadden as a CANT MISS TOP 2 RB in league. Didnt turn out to be a complete bust but hes more of a borderline TOP 10 guy.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Derrick Harvey was gonna be monster according to me... lol

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Vince Young

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJETS3233 View Post
    bought into Darren McFadden as a CANT MISS TOP 2 RB in league. Didnt turn out to be a complete bust but hes more of a borderline TOP 10 guy.
    When healthy DarreN Mcfadden is as good as any back in football. Can do it all (Run , catch, block) with the best of them. He might not be a 20- 25 carry guy but a guy you have to limit 15 carry's a game. (good enough to play Wr in the slot)

My miss Chaz Schilens. Very talented Wr who just can't stay healthy. Wouldn't shock me with Raiders ex WR coach now Jets coach, that Jets sign him this off season. Could be someone that not going to cost a lot that pays big dividends. 6'4 225 4.38

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was dead wrong about Calvin Johnson. I was 100% convinced he would be a bust in the way that every other 1st-rd Detroit Lions receiver before him was.

Also, the jury is still out on him, but Michael Crabtree. 874 yds and 4 TD in his 3rd year isn't awful, but I definitely got caught up in the hype after his performance vs. Texas that year.

Just for fun, one guy I definitely NAILED was Ray Rice. Watched a decent amt of Rutgers games that year and I knew he would be good somewhere.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Brian Leonard was going to be a solid powerback in a thunder and lighting style running game. It turned out to be partially cloudy with light showers.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by New York Mick View Post
    I thought Brian Leonard was going to be a solid powerback in a thunder and lighting style running game. It turned out to be partially cloudy with light showers.
    That's what I'm talking about. While P.T. Willis was a shameful episode for me because I was older and felt I had carfully analyzed his potential and was on to something, it really all started with Isaiah Moses Hipp. After watching him rip through the Big 8, I thought he was the next OJ Simpson. But he was drafted by the Falcons in the 4th round in 1980 and ended up getting as much playing time in the NFL as Homer Simpson.

Still, one of the greatest sports names ever.... I.M. Hipp.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Arrow

Boss Bailey OLB UGA.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll have to look back on some of my old draft spreadsheets. One guy I thought was going to be a real good was Brian Calhoun, the dreaded Wisconsin running back syndrome.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Charles Rodgers - WR Michigan State

I thought he was the tits. He had everything speed, size, great hands, could jump through the roof. Everything you could ask for out of WR prospect, except one thing....Heart. There comes a time when all these "great" prospects face some adversity, have to be mentally tough to get through the rigors of the NFL game. some can get through it some can't. Charles was one of the ones who couldn't.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I missed bad on AJ Green too. Thought he was too skinny or something.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Brady Quinn was going to be great.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Too many to list.

Biggest misses were Brian Brohm, Brian Robiske, Shawn Crable, and Andre Woodson. I'm sure if I look, I'll find dozens more.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought Fitzgerald would be a bust, at Pitt I didn't like the separation he got on college DB's and I thought the out jumping college DB's wouldn't translate in the NFL. I also loved Reggie Bush and Brady Quinn

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    I thought Brady Quinn was going to be great.
    ME too....I remember everyone laughing at Cleveland for trading a following year first, and I was thinking "are you nuts?" You just took care of your LT in Joe Thomas, now, 12 odd picks later, you have your franchise QB.....and took care of your team for the next decade in less then 15 picks!

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I always got suckered into the Florida wide receivers back in the 90s and they always sucked in the pros. but for one guy ... Courtney Brown. Then the Browns browned the bed by taking Gerard warren the next year.