Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Personal Biggest Miss

Hall Of Fame
    As ND fan I wasn't sold on Quinn or Clausen but I thought Golden Tate would be a good or great player depending on where he went. The thought of him on NE or Indy was scary to me.

Joey Harrington and Mike Williams (WR) come to mind.

All Pro
    I actually haven't been wrong on anybody. I guess you could say my love for Taylor Mays (but that's a little early, and i loved him with us, not just anywhere). Maybe Matt Leinart. I was pretty sure he was the real deal.

Some guys that i was sweet on but faded fast;
    Roy Hall
    John Madsen
    Reggie Williams
    Dwayne Jarret

Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    Too many to list.

Biggest misses were Brian Brohm, Brian Robiske, Shawn Crable, and Andre Woodson. I'm sure if I look, I'll find dozens more.
    Oh man Crable...he was such a monster his last year at Michigan...sucks he had such baby legs, which is what I blame.

So many others for sure...Vince Oghobaase, though he probably would have been awesome if he didnt just fall apart physically.

Jets Insider VIP
    I bet we can even find someone (other than Joe Walton, that is) who was thrilled that the Jets grabbed up Ken O'Brien when Dan Marino was on the board and heading for Miami 2 picks or so later

Hall Of Fame
    I can't be the only one who thought Blair Thomas was going to be good.

Disclaimer: This was before a time of internet access to highlights, game film and combine or every game televised as well as the combine. It was much harder to judge players back then unless you were a scout and had field access.

God was I wrong on that one, lol.

I was wrong on DRob. I thought he'd be excellent and said so every chance I got. there were flashes but his knee eventually gave out. Biggest mistake and I feel I've learned alot from that.

People think I was a big Gholston backer. That's not entirely true. I never thought Gholston was gonna be great. What I said was it was the only pick that made sense and he needed more time. I also said things like the defense is #1 in the league, how bad is Gholston hurting the team? I never said he'd be a star. I thought Drob would be a star, that's a big difference.

But I regret even defending Gholston. That was wasted energy.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qvp37o1jZUo

I was wrong on DRob. I thought he'd be excellent and said so every chance I got. there were flashes but his knee eventually gave out. Biggest mistake and I feel I've learned alot from that.

People think I was a big Gholston backer. That's not entirely true. I never thought Gholston was gonna be great. What I said was it was the only pick that made sense and he needed more time. I also said things like the defense is #1 in the league, how bad is Gholston hurting the team? I never said he'd be a star. I thought Drob would be a star, that's a big difference.

IMO, you can't fault the Jets for selecting Gholston. He was the chalk pick. There was a clear top 6 in that draft and the other 5 had been taken.

BTW, I was thoroughly and absolutely convinced that Rex could salvage VG's career and turn him into a decent quality starter.
    Last edited by SONNY WERBLIN; 01-19-2012 at 03:32 PM.

I think we took similar stances on Gholston....I knock myself because I pegged him from day one as the Jets' pick and remained perfectly find. I made a thread on TGG in like '07 hyping the guy...Yuch.

All League
    James Hardy, Arrelious Benn, Jerry Hughes, Alan Branch
    Last edited by NYJCAP2; 01-19-2012 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Mick View Post
    I can't be the only one who thought Blair Thomas was going to be good.

Disclaimer: This was before a time of internet access to highlights, game film and combine or every game televised as well as the combine. It was much harder to judge players back then unless you were a scout and had field access.

God was I wrong on that one, lol.
    Blair Thomas was a can't miss that missed. He had the talent, the tools, the work ethic.

No one could have seen that would not make the transition to the pros. His personal life was a mess and he lost his mind over women. Unlike his college years, football was never his top priority.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    IMO, you can't fault the Jets for selecting Gholston. He was the chalk pick. There was a clear top 6 in that draft and the other 5 had been taken.

BTW, I was thoroughly and absolutely convinced that Rex could salvage VG's career and turn him into a decent quality starter.
    Yea you can, he had bust written all over him and a lot of the draft people were saying he was risky. I wanted Stewart or Campbell (who went in the 2nd) and wouldn't of minded Mayo or DRC.

I thought McFadden was way overrated and VG was a to risky. I missed on DRC he hasn't done much and was way off on where I thought Campbell was going to be drafted but he's been a solid player.

Quote Originally Posted by New York Mick View Post
    Yea you can, he had bust written all over him and a lot of the draft people were saying he was risky. I wanted Stewart or Campbell (who went in the 2nd) and wouldn't of minded Mayo or DRC.

I thought McFadden was way overrated and VG was a to risky. I missed on DRC he hasn't done much and was way off on where I thought Campbell was going to be drafted but he's been a solid player.
    Not according to the experts I heard. They said that he was the safe pick.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    Not according to the experts I heard. They said that he was the safe pick.
    Off the top of my head Todd McShay and everyone bringing up one year of success.

Rashaun Woods. Guy was straight up Jerry Rice Jr. in college.

All Pro
    We should start a thread about the number of people we were right about (specifically that were going to suck).

I could rattle off a list of WRs a mile long, starting with the great DHB war of '09. I may be a total block head in some areas, but i hit more than miss on those guys.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradis View Post
    We should start a thread about the number of people we were right about (specifically that were going to suck).

I could rattle off a list of WRs a mile long, starting with the great DHB war of '09. I may be a total block head in some areas, but i hit more than miss on those guys.
    DHB is way closer to being a good wr than Taylor Mays is to being a good safety

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    DHB is way closer to being a good wr than Taylor Mays is to being a good safety
    FTR i never said he'd be any good at safety.

I thought for sure DeSean Jackson was going to be a complete bust. I had a 6th round grade on him, and while he doesn't light the world on fire...he is an excellent deep threat and a hell of a lot better than I thought he would be.