Thread: Mark Barron Draft prospect analysis

Veteran

Mark Barron Draft prospect analysis

Looking at some mock drafts on the web and a lot of pundits have us taking Barron. I'm not sold on him as a 1st round selection because of the score they have him at for cover skills, which happens to be our weakness at the Saftey position this year.

What do you guys think?

Production 1 "2008: (14/0) 18 tackles (1.5 sacks). 2009: (14/14) 74 tackles (3.5 TFL, .5 sack, 7 INT, 11 PBU. 2010: (12/12) 75 tackles (2 sacks), 3 INT, 6 PBU, 1 FF. "

Height-Weight-Speed 3Has prototypical SS build with adequate-at-best top-end speed.
    Durability 4 "Suffered a torn pectoral muscle versus Auburn in 2010, which caused him to sit out the bowl game versus Michigan State. "
    Intangibles 3 "Alabama senior safety Mark Barron was arrested in March, 2011 in Mobile, AL for second degree hindering prosecution. Police were called to the scene of a single-car accident at 5 a.m., when an officer found an abandoned Chrysler 300, which belonged to Barron. Barron was the lone person at the scene. He did not drive the car and was not injured. Barron was released within an hour of his arrest after posting a $500 bond. "

1 = Exceptional2 = Above average3 = Average4 = Below average5 = Marginal
    Safety Specific Traits

Instincts/Recognition 3
    More decisive in early-season tape we studied than he was late in the season. But overall recognition skills are good. Another coach-on-the-field type. Diagnoses routes quickly in coverage.
    Cover Skills 3 Consistently gets an early break on the ball. Very effective reading QBs' eyes in zone and reading routes in man-to-man. Has better short-area closing burst (especially when coming forward) than he does top-end speed. Struggles to recover if he gets out of position. Shows stiffness in hips and is a liability when asked to turn and run versus slot WR's (see :55 remaining in 2nd QTR vs. FLA 2010). Seemed to lose confidence late in the season and was more tentative in game tape versus Auburn 2010.
    Ball Skills 2
    Knows when to play the ball and when to play the body. Has good instincts and takes quality angles to the ball. Hands are good for the position. Production matches what we see on tape (10 INTs in 2009-'10).
    Run Support 2
    Plays under control. Diagnoses run quickly and fills hard in support. Shows adequate pop at the point of attack. Overall tackling skills are good but not great. The more space he's in the less effective he becomes in run support. Top-end speed is decent at best.

I do like Barron, but the SEC was a crappy pass league this year so I don't think we saw what he really has coverage-wise. He's smart, good not great athlete, but for a middle first round pick? not so sure.

Jets Insider VIP
    Barron is a solid, well rounded prospect.

But I just don't think he's worth the 16th pick in the draft. There is bound to be better value at that spot.

reading that profile, nothing he does is exceptional (1). i have no problem with him in the mid round 2.

but he does have experience in a pro like program and the guy wins. he didn't make many bad plays at all, but just not the best athlete. puts his body out there too. I'd definitely take him, but probably not at 16.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJets View Post
    but he does have experience in a pro like program and the guy wins. he didn't make many bad plays at all, but just not the best athlete. puts his body out there too. I'd definitely take him, but probably not at 16.
    Then if he's there in Round 2, trade up and grab 'em. That's been Tanny's MO and I see no reason as to why he'd change now. I know we need depth, but the Jets have shown to prefer quality over quantity.

All Pro
    Give me Tramain Thomas over him any day of the week. Better athlete, similar production, just not from as good a program.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Wrote a Thread on Barron not being a first round talent. I stand by my thread.

Gotta go best available at # 16

Melvin Ingram please.

Quote Originally Posted by Gas2No99 View Post
    Then if he's there in Round 2, trade up and grab 'em. That's been Tanny's MO and I see no reason as to why he'd change now. I know we need depth, but the Jets have shown to prefer quality over quantity.
    Rather trade back to late 1st round and early second and take him while getting additional picks to build the depth we've ignored in past years' drafts.

i don't see a scenario where the jets take barron at 16. maybe if they traded back 10 or more spots. but if they stay at 16, i have a hard time seeing how they improve their team by taking barron as opposed to one of upshaw, ingram, or an offensive lineman.

All Pro
    As far as safety goes, what we need is a player with range. Someone who can make the tackle when the run play goes outside, somone who can blow up a short passing play and someone who can still cover deep. Let me show you a play from Tramain Thomas that embodies exactly what this defense needs from the safety position and what we currently dont have - speed, crazy range and athletisism. On top of that he also makes the play by forcing the fumble here in that video against LSU. Check out from where he is coming from and how fast he arrives at the play that is going to the outside:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leXmk...eature=related

I dont think Barron can make that play, he is better in a straight line and when he can fill inside against the run. I have my concerns if he can really impact the game sideline to sideline, something we see here from Thomas.

Mark Barron is one of my favorites in this draft, would not complain if we ended up with him at 16. Actually he would be my #1 choice out of the Alabama defensive players in this draft.

All Pro
    I see an average NFL career for Barron, not a star in the making and not someone who can play the Ed Reed role in Rex's D. He's not worth a top 15 pick IMO. I'd take him if they traded back into the late 1st but not at 16.

This Thomas guy looks pretty good in the 3rd round.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I see an average NFL career for Barron, not a star in the making and not someone who can play the Ed Reed role in Rex's D. He's not worth a top 15 pick IMO. I'd take him if they traded back into the late 1st but not at 16.

This Thomas guy looks pretty good in the 3rd round.
    Exactly. I have no doubts that Barron will do a solid job in the NFL but a) he isnt exactly what we need and b) he doesnt offer that much to take him as high in the first round. Bitonti said it above, what is really really elite when you see him? Is he an elite level athlete? An elite level playmaker? I dont see it... he is an upgrade over Eric Smith but who isnt...