Thread: Here is my offseason plan..welcome any thoughts

Here is my offseason plan..welcome any thoughts

My approach would be to add explosive type players on both sides of the ball. Offesively, take advantage of Sanchez's strengths (not long ball) short WR routes with game breaking ability and a very strong running game that would rely on sharing carries and rotating in fresh legs. This would allow the play action, screen plays and slants to be very effective. Defensively, to add youth and speed to disrupt opposing QBs rythem.

Draft

Round 1. Vontaze Burfict - An explosive and quick LBer that can get to the QB. Some may argue that his off the field issues my drop him in round 1 and if so the possiblity of trading down could happen. Has the quickness to play OLB and the ability to cover TEs. Needs stop looking to make the booming hits from time to time and focus on wrapping up.

2. Orson Charles - TE - Georgia - very athletic and has the ability to stretch the field and get YAC. Dustin Keller has one more year on his contract and this guy would provide insurance should Dustin go elsewhere. That would allow us to pair Dustin and Charles on the field to create mismatches. Charles can play outside in the slot. Him and Cumberland would be the future.

3. Doug Martin - RB - Boise State - reminds me of MJD. Always breaks the first tackler and has a passion for the game. From everything you read football is important to him and he keeps in great shape. Him, Greene and Powell would provide a deep RB core and allow for fresh legs. Joe Mcknight would be LTs replacement.

4. Bobby Massie - RT - after a year on the roster with an NFL regiment and training would be the heir apparent at RT. Can sign a FA to hold the position until that time. A very good run blocking RT with the ability to defend against the pass rush.

5. Jarius Wright - WR - this guy is fast and has the ability to take a slant the distance. This is the explosive type player the JETS need that would creat matchup problems for opponents.

6 and 7 - Asa Jackson and Cyhl Quarles would add depth to the backfield and be effective special team players.

Free Agents

Pierre Garcon - an inexpensive and yet effective WR who would complement Kerley and Holmes. Add wright to the equation and you have a solid WR core.

Dashon Goldson - my only real FA splurge - a pro bowl safety that supports in the run and is a ball hawk during passing downs.

Jacob Bell and Jared Gaither - Gaither would become your starting RT and Bell would add depth at both OG positions. Both could be signed for 2 year contracts and not break the bank. Bell was an outstanding OG with the Titans and then sign a lucrative contract with the RAMS. A change of scenery would do him good and could give moore or slauson and run for their money.

Josh Johnson - a young QB with a strong skill set that could push Sanchez. Was effective when needed in Tampa Bay. Once again he wont command a large contract and would be a very good backup. Fall back plan would be Rex Grossman.

Resign

Rob Turner, Donald Strickland and Marquice Cole who all fill a role and would not command big money.

Any thoughts?

Just curious. You're okay with Ellis or MTV starting at NT?

Charles is too similar to the other two TEs (Keller and Cumberland). I think the Jets should be looking for size there.

I like the 1, 4, and 5 players.

I like the Josh Johnson push. Goldson is alright, but I'd rather go after Griffin or Landry. Not really high on Garcon either, but that might just be him being a Colt.

Quote Originally Posted by nhjet View Post
    My approach would be to add explosive type players on both sides of the ball. Offesively, take advantage of Sanchez's strengths (not long ball) short WR routes with game breaking ability and a very strong running game that would rely on sharing carries and rotating in fresh legs. This would allow the play action, screen plays and slants to be very effective. Defensively, to add youth and speed to disrupt opposing QBs rythem.

Draft

Round 1. Vontaze Burfict - An explosive and quick LBer that can get to the QB. Some may argue that his off the field issues my drop him in round 1 and if so the possiblity of trading down could happen. Has the quickness to play OLB and the ability to cover TEs. Needs stop looking to make the booming hits from time to time and focus on wrapping up.

2. Orson Charles - TE - Georgia - very athletic and has the ability to stretch the field and get YAC. Dustin Keller has one more year on his contract and this guy would provide insurance should Dustin go elsewhere. That would allow us to pair Dustin and Charles on the field to create mismatches. Charles can play outside in the slot. Him and Cumberland would be the future.

3. Doug Martin - RB - Boise State - reminds me of MJD. Always breaks the first tackler and has a passion for the game. From everything you read football is important to him and he keeps in great shape. Him, Greene and Powell would provide a deep RB core and allow for fresh legs. Joe Mcknight would be LTs replacement.

4. Bobby Massie - RT - after a year on the roster with an NFL regiment and training would be the heir apparent at RT. Can sign a FA to hold the position until that time. A very good run blocking RT with the ability to defend against the pass rush.

5. Jarius Wright - WR - this guy is fast and has the ability to take a slant the distance. This is the explosive type player the JETS need that would creat matchup problems for opponents.

6 and 7 - Asa Jackson and Cyhl Quarles would add depth to the backfield and be effective special team players.

Free Agents

Pierre Garcon - an inexpensive and yet effective WR who would complement Kerley and Holmes. Add wright to the equation and you have a solid WR core.

Dashon Goldson - my only real FA splurge - a pro bowl safety that supports in the run and is a ball hawk during passing downs.

Jacob Bell and Jared Gaither - Gaither would become your starting RT and Bell would add depth at both OG positions. Both could be signed for 2 year contracts and not break the bank. Bell was an outstanding OG with the Titans and then sign a lucrative contract with the RAMS. A change of scenery would do him good and could give moore or slauson and run for their money.

Josh Johnson - a young QB with a strong skill set that could push Sanchez. Was effective when needed in Tampa Bay. Once again he wont command a large contract and would be a very good backup. Fall back plan would be Rex Grossman.

Resign

Rob Turner, Donald Strickland and Marquice Cole who all fill a role and would not command big money.

Any thoughts?

Some of your free agent additions your not getting for cheap. The way jared gaither played for the Chargers down the stretch- they have to look at him as their starting LT( Upgrade from Mcneill) He almost a must signing for them. Someone going to pay him to play LT next season. Those guys are never cheap. I don't know if anyone will give him a long term contract with his injury questions. Gaither not signing with a team to play RT, he sees himself a LT , and will most likely sign with a team that gives him a chance to start there.(chargers)

Josh Johnson - not going to come cheap. He a young Qb with potntial and there are so many teams looking for that kind of Qb to groom. He will have options.

Hall Of Fame
    I know it's early but some of your draft picks are in the wrong round.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Charles is too similar to the other two TEs (Keller and Cumberland). I think the Jets should be looking for size there.

I like the 1, 4, and 5 players.

I like the Josh Johnson push. Goldson is alright, but I'd rather go after Griffin or Landry. Not really high on Garcon either, but that might just be him being a Colt.
    I really like Orson Charles as a player but he really is too similar to Keller, though a bit faster more fluid. If we go tight end early we should look hard at LaDarius Green, gigantic target with athletisism...

Quote Originally Posted by New York Mick View Post
    I know it's early but some of your draft picks are in the wrong round.
    Hell yeah.

All Pro
    Massie is a great pick....put he is projected for the 2nd round.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I really like Orson Charles as a player but he really is too similar to Keller, though a bit faster more fluid. If we go tight end early we should look hard at LaDarius Green, gigantic target with athletisism...
    I think The Te Your OC looking for better be able to block. Cory Harkey TE UCLA was really impressive in the east West Shrine game doing just that.