Thread: Inspired 2012 Off-Season..

All League

Inspired 2012 Off-Season..

I took, Beerfish's model because I thought he was on to something with the current roster.

Resign: Robert Turner (They wanted to rush him back for playoff push but decided not too; via rotoworld), Aaron Maybin, Jamall Westerman, Sione Pouha, Eric Smith, Nick Folk

Do not sign or cut: Bryan Thomas, Jim Leonard, LaDainian Thomlinson, Kevin O'Connell, Mark Brunell, Plaxico burress, Brodney Pool, Wayne hunter, TJ Conley

Sign:
    Chad Henne - QB - (Wanted Shaun Hill, but this is much more possible)
    Martellus Bennett -TE - Good blocker to go with Keller and Cumberland
    Pierre Garcon - WR - Speed and vet presence
    Dashon Goldson - S - Center fielder, hard hitter and tackler as well, to let Smith play in the box more often.

Draft:

1-16 Cordy Glenn OT - Georgia

Consensus pick to fill out draft. I'm behind, but if the Jets went this way how would you finish the job?

I'd see the needs going as: OLB, WR, RB, P

2 - 47
    3 - 78
    4 - 112
    5 - 159
    5 - 173
    6 - 192
    6 - 210
    7 - 218
    7 - 254
    7 - 255

Resign: agree

Do not sign: Have to have Pool back just to provide depth at S and if they do get Gholston, he, Smith and Poole would be a good combination.

Sign: Agree provided Bennet is cheap, but I'd also go for a RT, Demetrius Bell, and then draft a RT in the 3d round or later to create some competition.

Draft Totally disagree with using 16th pick on an OT when there are other areas of need. The RT and FS holes can more easily be solved in FA than the vacant OLB position. So, the Jets must use the 16th pick on an OLB. Then the rest of the picks could be for BAP at ILB, RB, WR, OT and S.

Jets Insider VIP
    Would be very upset in that scenario.

Why are we resigning are worst safety and cutting the other two (granted they all suck, but Smith sucks worse)

Not a fan of any linemen other than Decastro at 16.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Resign: agree

Do not sign: Have to have Pool back just to provide depth at S and if they do get Gholston, he, Smith and Poole would be a good combination.

Sign: Agree provided Bennet is cheap, but I'd also go for a RT, Demetrius Bell, and then draft a RT in the 3d round or later to create some competition.

Draft Totally disagree with using 16th pick on an OT when there are other areas of need. The RT and FS holes can more easily be solved in FA than the vacant OLB position. So, the Jets must use the 16th pick on an OLB. Then the rest of the picks could be for BAP at ILB, RB, WR, OT and S.
    Bringing Poole back is an ok idea, but if we sign Goldson we could also get a third safety in the middle rounds of the draft as an alternative.

I don't think there has been an answer for many teams at OLB in past drafts. I like Ingram but I don't think he'll be there, especially after the combine. Great starters are just that rare to find at OLB. Go look at all the OT and G and the success is much higher. A player like Glenn could come on and play right away leaving more money to be spent else where.

You can then take a risky position in OLB in the 2, 3, 4 rounds. IMO pass rushing did not loose us many games this year and we generated sacks from many positions. We would also be signing both OLB on one side and still have Pace on the other.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    Bringing Poole back is an ok idea, but if we sign Goldson we could also get a third safety in the middle rounds of the draft as an alternative.

I don't think there has been an answer for many teams at OLB in past drafts. I like Ingram but I don't think he'll be there, especially after the combine. Great starters are just that rare to find at OLB. Go look at all the OT and G and the success is much higher. A player like Glenn could come on and play right away leaving more money to be spent else where.

You can then take a risky position in OLB in the 2, 3, 4 rounds. IMO pass rushing did not loose us many games this year and we generated sacks from many positions. We would also be signing both OLB on one side and still have Pace on the other.
    Whitney Mercilus if Ingram is gone. I might prefer Mercilus over Ingram. I'm not sure.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Would be very upset in that scenario.

Why are we resigning are worst safety and cutting the other two (granted they all suck, but Smith sucks worse)

Not a fan of any linemen other than Decastro at 16.
    Leonhard was hurt worse this year than last and can't cover TE's any better than Smith; someone needs to be familiar back there.

Can he play RT? If not, then we have to cut Ducasse.

All Pro
    Leonhard was hurt worse this year than last and can't cover TE's any better than Smith; someone needs to be familiar back there.

Can he play RT? If not, then we have to cut Ducasse.
    I fear that he wont come back well from his injury and that would again leave us with that bum Smith as the starter. If relatively healthy Leonhard is twice the player that Smith is...

This past season, the following pass rushers were selected in the first 16 picks of the first round:

#2 Von Miller
    #7 Aldon Smith
    #11 JJ Watt
    #14 Robert Quinn
    #16 Ryan Kerrigan

And I'm not leaving any out. 5 pass rushers were selected and all 5 produced and contributed as rookies. Not saying there is no risk, but it's not as risky as you portray. The Jets can't let the ghost of Gholston prevent them from ever selecting a pass rusher in the first round.

Get Smith out of here as fast as possible. Keep Pool, think he's the best of the three anyway. One guy to look at in FA is Dan Connor, ILB currently with Carolina. Could be eventual replacement for Bart Scott. As far as draft goes,like Peter Konz of Wisconsin at 16. He's a center, but projected as easy move to guard.Would be a starter from day 1, plus a real backup to Mangold.Saw how that went this year. If the oline doesn't get addressed, nothing else will matter.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    This past season, the following pass rushers were selected in the first 16 picks of the first round:

#2 Von Miller
    #7 Aldon Smith
    #11 JJ Watt
    #14 Robert Quinn
    #16 Ryan Kerrigan

And I'm not leaving any out. 5 pass rushers were selected and all 5 produced and contributed as rookies. Not saying there is no risk, but it's not as risky as you portray. The Jets can't let the ghost of Gholston prevent them from ever selecting a pass rusher in the first round.
    Fair enough, maybe 3-4 OLB prospects have turned the corner. I still think they spend a first or second on a OT rather than FA.
    Last edited by NYJCAP2; 01-24-2012 at 06:10 PM.

Veteran
    I don't see Mulligan on your 'cut' list.

It's okay. . . . it can be hard to recall surpressed memories after traumatic events

Also, there have to better options at K than Folk, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    Whitney Mercilus if Ingram is gone. I might prefer Mercilus over Ingram. I'm not sure.
    mercilus is the sexy pick for sure. I think it might be time to think about adding a ferocious pass rusher to this defense

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    That'd be a mistake.

As a side note; Who are this years top pass rushers at OLB? Then ask, who is not good or adequate at stopping the run? Then elimate them as a top 16 prospect.

Martellus Bennett is horribad.

I live here. Cowboys fans can't stand the lazy ****er and are pissed Jerry wouldn't admit his mistake and cut him.

Sean Phillips is quadruple the player with way less of an ego.

Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post

I live here. Cowboys fans can't stand the lazy ****er and are pissed Jerry wouldn't admit his mistake and cut him.

John Phillips and yes. Phillips has been underrated for a long time even going back to the draft.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-25-2012 at 01:42 AM.

All Pro
    That'd be a mistake.

As a side note; Who are this years top pass rushers at OLB? Then ask, who is not good or adequate at stopping the run? Then elimate them as a top 16 prospect.
    i just watched an every play video of mercilus vs. ucla, and i would disagree with this. at least in that video, he made more plays against the run than against the pass, but it was pretty balanced. there was at least 2 or 3 runs to the outside that he completely collapsed the edge and the rb was screwed. there was another play in there that he got through the middle and stopped the rb in the backfield after going through two blockers. and then he got a few sacks in the game, and those plays looked really good, but at other times, it looked like he completely got swallowed up by blockers and he couldn't even push them into the pocket. after watching this video, i prefer ingram over him, but he'd be my #2. and i still don't like upshaw. i just don't see it.

Agree Mercilus looks like the goods and I certainly prefer him over Upshaw now

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite View Post

I agree, but he can block and he might be cheap, that's it. A lot of FA TEs are leaning towards their current teams; if they have them of course.