Thread: Quick Mock

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Quick Mock

No trades, no fa's, just draft picks

1. OLB Melvin Ingram, South Carolina

Hopefully the new Adalius Thomas for Rex Ryan and the New York Jets.

2. S George Iloka, Boise State

Ascending right now. At 6-4 220, the type of safety needed to matchup with Gronk. Hopefully Kerry Rhodes with some toughness.

3. ILB Nigel Bradham, FSU

Another injection of youth into the LB's. A tad undersized for 3-4 LB, But so is Bart Scott. Won't start right away, but a valuable asset on 3rd downs with his cover ability.

4. OT Bobby Massie, Ole Miss

A developmental RT with great build, who is good in both pass and run blocking.

5. NT Hebron Fangupo, BYU

Most will not have heard of him, but had a good season for BYU this year. At 6-1 330, he has prototype NT build and experience in the system. With Pouha's age, uncertainty of Ellis as a player and legal trouble, wouldn't hurt to throw another guy in the mix.

6. CB Dwight Bentley, ULL

Has shined at senior bowl and is probably ascending into the higher rounds, but for now this is about where he is projected and you can never have enough CB'S.

7. S Jerico Nelson, Arkansas

Maybe the hardest hitter in the draft. No real starting potential, but will be special teams demon and maybe good back up.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really dig the first three picks. I'm starting to get a major clue for some of the Boise players coming out (sans Kellen Moore). To get a safety at that size with hips is the perfect remedy for the new wave of TEs this league has seen.

My beef, however, is you did nothing to address our lack of speed on offense. Even if this mock included a FA pickup like Manningham, Garçon, or Bray Bray, we still need to use AT MINIMUM one of our mid + later picks on someone with jets on the outside. The perfect complement to ground & pound is someone who will make you pay when you sell out on the run.

I'd rather see you dump the 5th and/or 6th on a speed WR. DL & CB are the deepest and most talented units on the squad. Unless these are homerun picks, I say pass. We can survive a year with MTV playing a bit more or Strickland/Cole playing a little more; I don't think I could say the same about our slow-footed and thin WR corps. Gimme someone like Jairus Wright or Chris Rainey.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Needs at WR and RB are greater than NT and CB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SONNY WERBLIN View Post
    Needs at WR and RB are greater than NT and CB.
    totally agree. i think when all is said and done this will be primarily an offensive-oriented draft. no doubt rex and tanny had ample time to sit around and watch the playoffs and see how the best offenses advanced. they just fired their OC and may need to get rid of both holmes and plax. this team desperately needs an infusion of youth, speed and hope on offense and not just a qb to compete with sanchez.

more broadly, any momentum the jets had in new york over the past 2 seasons has all but vanished with the success of the giants and their high-powered offense. if the jets don't keep up, their product will quickly revert to secondary status. i can easily see them drafting a wr and rb in the first 3 rounds alone.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't mind the first 2 picks, but the Jets really need to go hard and aggressive after quality WR's in the mid rounds. This is a phenomenal year for mid-round WR value.

All League
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    I really dig the first three picks. I'm starting to get a major clue for some of the Boise players coming out (sans Kellen Moore). To get a safety at that size with hips is the perfect remedy for the new wave of TEs this league has seen.

My beef, however, is you did nothing to address our lack of speed on offense. Even if this mock included a FA pickup like Manningham, Garçon, or Bray Bray, we still need to use AT MINIMUM one of our mid + later picks on someone with jets on the outside. The perfect complement to ground & pound is someone who will make you pay when you sell out on the run.

I'd rather see you dump the 5th and/or 6th on a speed WR. DL & CB are the deepest and most talented units on the squad. Unless these are homerun picks, I say pass. We can survive a year with MTV playing a bit more or Strickland/Cole playing a little more; I don't think I could say the same about our slow-footed and thin WR corps. Gimme someone like Jairus Wright or Chris Rainey.
    lol!

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JamaicanJetFan View Post
    Don't mind the first 2 picks, but the Jets really need to go hard and aggressive after quality WR's in the mid rounds. This is a phenomenal year for mid-round WR value.
    They mostly all have some size too; might be a big year for WR's.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    16 - Cordy Glenn -RT _ Massive offensive lineman who has the ability to play multiple positions along the Offensive Line.(RT,OG,and LT) Kid is the best fit for a Jet team that's going to feature the runing game going forward.

48 -
    80 - George Illoka - FS

112 -Alameda Ta'amu - NT

144 - Joe Adams - WR

172 - Jocques Smith - OLBer

204 - D'Anton Lynn SS

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    totally agree. i think when all is said and done this will be primarily an offensive-oriented draft. no doubt rex and tanny had ample time to sit around and watch the playoffs and see how the best offenses advanced. they just fired their OC and may need to get rid of both holmes and plax. this team desperately needs an infusion of youth, speed and hope on offense and not just a qb to compete with sanchez.

more broadly, any momentum the jets had in new york over the past 2 seasons has all but vanished with the success of the giants and their high-powered offense. if the jets don't keep up, their product will quickly revert to secondary status. i can easily see them drafting a wr and rb in the first 3 rounds alone.
    agreed but if an ingram is there in 1st rd ..HAVE TO TAKE HIM!!!

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be OK with this

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post

Couldn't disagree with you more... we have more offensive pieces than defensive pieces.

I think if there is no outstanding RT in the draft, we take ingram, if he's not there we might trade down or take Flloyd, which I have somewhat of a problem (ill explain later). We should get a RT in FA, a vet and have Turner back him up. Which leaves us w/ a lack of depth at WR and probably RB.

I would never take a RB or WR with a top pick unless he is in the clavin/peterson class, and the only player I see like that is Blackmon and we're not getting him.

ingram has speed, power, and a motor, if he's there we can't pass on him. There are no Safetys id take at 16, wait till the 2nd or later rounds.

Now lets look at WR again. We have Kerley who will develop nicely in the slot and Holmes, and after the embarassment this year, I think things will be reconciled. We even have Turner as a big target between in the RZ. So we need a speedster to strech the field. Look at the last draft, we can find excellent talent in the later rounds ala Victor Cruz, Brown(pitt), and Torrey Smith, no need to waste the 16th pick on Flloyd.

Just my 2 cents.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice draft, love the retooling on defense. Iloka is more of a straight line safety but he definitely has great potential...