Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Same old question: small DEs or big OLBs

Same old question: small DEs or big OLBs

I love this debate. There are guys like Nick Perry, Vinny Curry and Mercilus who are DEs and you ask "Can they learn to drop back and cover"? Then you have guys like Ingram, Upshaw and Massaquoi who are about the same size but listed as OLBs. You ask "Can they put their hand down and be a DE in a 4 man front"?
    Personally, I'd look for the guy who already has the most experience in dropping back and covering (out of the guys above). All of the above can get after the QB. Do any of these guys fit the bill?

Undrafted Free Agent
    One man can save us... and he goes by Melvin Ingram.
    But Vinny Curry is going to surprise people.

i think the jets are going offense in the first round. they can get rush linebackers in later rounds but that offense is putrid. holmes may not stay, plax has a year left, there's no guarantee they're keeping keller and LT is a goner too. they desperately need a RT as well. they've drafted defense in the past two drafts in the first round. last year, they traded their 2nd rounder for cromartie and drafted a future NT in the 3rd. likely with rex's influence, the offense has been neglected and key spots have been filled by inferiors and stop gap solutions.

the running game won't hum until they get legit wrs who defenses have to worry about so they can't stack the box. they also need another rb who can catch.

Undrafted Free Agent
    tell that to Rex.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    i think the jets are going offense in the first round. they can get rush linebackers in later rounds but that offense is putrid. holmes may not stay, plax has a year left, there's no guarantee they're keeping keller and LT is a goner too. they desperately need a RT as well. they've drafted defense in the past two drafts in the first round. last year, they traded their 2nd rounder for cromartie and drafted a future NT in the 3rd. likely with rex's influence, the offense has been neglected and key spots have been filled by inferiors and stop gap solutions.

the running game won't hum until they get legit wrs who defenses have to worry about so they can't stack the box. they also need another rb who can catch.

AMEN!

What are you thoughts if the Jets address RT via free agency? I would think we'd want someone who can come in and start at that position right away as Rex is probably feeling the heat and may be on a short leash. Not saying we won't draft someone later. Same thing for Safety, but I think anyone we'd target would be rounds 2-4.
    Re: RB - we did draft Powell last year and have McNight and Greene. Good RBs can be had late.
    TEs. - Some good 2nd- 5th round prospects as well.

If we can get a stud WR in the first round, that may be the way to go. They can make the most impact as rookies.

Re LT: I think we must bring him back. If Rex admits his mistakes and vows to change his ways and gets Holmes in line, I think LT would come back. He's a leader and still has something left in the tank.
    Last edited by CTJetsFanII; 01-25-2012 at 04:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CTJetsFanII View Post
    What are you thoughts if the Jets address RT via free agency? I would think we'd want someone who can come in and start at that position right away as Rex is probably feeling the heat and may be on a short leash. Not saying we won't draft someone later. Same thing for Safety, but I think anyone we'd target would be rounds 2-4.
    Re: RB - we did draft Powell last year and have McNight and Greene. Good RBs can be had late.
    TEs. - Some good 2nd- 5th round prospects as well.

If we can get a stud WR in the first round, that may be the way to go. They can make the most impact as rookies.

Re LT: I think we must bring him back. If Rex admits his mistakes and vows to change his ways and gets Holmes in line, I think LT would come back. He's a leader and still has something left in the tank.
    LT may have sung himself out of town with his comments.

LT may have sung himself out of town with his comments.
    Maybe. But it would show that Rex has grown up if he admits that his future HOFer was right and brings him back to lead in a new environment

I understand the sentiment for offense - but I really think we should go BAP. At this point, it seems like Ingram / Courtney / Curry would be great fits (and BAP), while the WRs are more questionable, and I'd think you could get a good RT in round 2.

IMO the offensive player that could fall to us which might be a compelling value would be Trent Richardson. And there's also DeCastro.

Quote Originally Posted by CTJetsFanII View Post
    Maybe. But it would show that Rex has grown up if he admits that his future HOFer was right and brings him back to lead in a new environment
    I am not sure that is what would show growing up. LT has really spoken excessively as if he has left the team. I think there is something to be said for not letting everything leave the locker room. Wouldn't Rex be encouraging the outspoken, brash stupidity that defined this season by bringing LT back?

All League
    Grab two pass rushers with the first two picks. It will make our D elite, if they pan out

Quote Originally Posted by TheMo View Post
    I am not sure that is what would show growing up. LT has really spoken excessively as if he has left the team. I think there is something to be said for not letting everything leave the locker room. Wouldn't Rex be encouraging the outspoken, brash stupidity that defined this season by bringing LT back?
    Doesn't "outspoken, brash stupidity" define Rex? He has to reap what he sow'd. Forgive and forget. LT is the type of player we need on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by thshadow View Post
    I understand the sentiment for offense - but I really think we should go BAP. At this point, it seems like Ingram / Courtney / Curry would be great fits (and BAP), while the WRs are more questionable, and I'd think you could get a good RT in round 2.

IMO the offensive player that could fall to us which might be a compelling value would be Trent Richardson. And there's also DeCastro.
    There's gonna be a lot of good pickins at 16

Personally I think drafting a DE to play OLB in the 1st is the worst gamble any team can make. 9 times out of ten it doesn't work. Guys like Ghoston are more common then a guy like Suggs. If you want a LB just draft a LB. In todays NFL if you dont have a good cover LB you will be killed by teams with guys like Clark and Gates at TE. You can blitz Brady all day as long as he can just dump it off to a TE it doesn't matter. He will nickle and dime you to death. We keep getting these blitzing LBs and they just aren't making us any better.

Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    Grab two pass rushers with the first two picks. It will make our D elite, if they pan out
    +1. Nick Perry and Brandon Jenkins.

ingram and upshaw can be picked by a 3-4 team and be reasonably sure they can make the transition.

these other guys are a Gholston like projection. too risky for the Jets to attempt, JMO

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    ingram and upshaw can be picked by a 3-4 team and be reasonably sure they can make the transition.

these other guys are a Gholston like projection. too risky for the Jets to attempt, JMO
    Didn't get to watch as many games as I would've liked to this year. How often were these guys asked to drop into coverage?

Don't worry about coverage... I seriously don't understand why anyone worries about what the player is going to do 10% of the time. It really doesn't matter.

Not only that, but if the player is athletic enough to gain a pass rush, typically they are going to be athletic enough to cover somewhat decently in space.

People confused themselves on Gholston... Gholston wasn't bad because of any position change, he was bad because he couldn't do any one thing well.

Just get the best pass rusher possible...

so much talk about defense. the offensive side of the ball had a mutiny and the qb may not last the season. the team needs weapons at wr, te and rb, not to mention a new RT. if they don't fix the offense, rex and tanny are not going to last much longer. offense wins games and puts fans in the seats.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Don't worry about coverage... I seriously don't understand why anyone worries about what the player is going to do 10% of the time. It really doesn't matter.

Not only that, but if the player is athletic enough to gain a pass rush, typically they are going to be athletic enough to cover somewhat decently in space.

People confused themselves on Gholston... Gholston wasn't bad because of any position change, he was bad because he couldn't do any one thing well.

Just get the best pass rusher possible...
    Agreed, pass coverage ability means squat to me unless two players are 100% equal in all other ways. No olb can cover a Rb or Te for more than 2 seconds and if you have an olb in coverage consistently the other team will find him and pick on him. I want a pass rusher and then the 2nd thing is can the guy play the run reasonably well so he can be an every down player.