Thread: Cam Johnson DE/OLB Virginia

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Cam Johnson DE/OLB Virginia

Good mid-round prospect. Great size for the position.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely caught my attention yesterday. Great burst off the line. Has a history of injuries and senior year production slipped (don't know why). Interesting in that he was an OLB his first 2 years at Virginia. If he can play in space might definitely be worth a look in the mid-rounds depending on what we do early in the draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1724711

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CTJetsFanII View Post
    Definitely caught my attention yesterday. Great burst off the line. Has a history of injuries and senior year production slipped (don't know why). Interesting in that he was an OLB his first 2 years at Virginia. If he can play in space might definitely be worth a look in the mid-rounds depending on what we do early in the draft.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1724711

Weaknesses: Is slightly high cut and somewhat stiff in the hips, likely too stiff for 3-4 OLB consideration. Doesn't change directions well. Can be late off the snap. Has a history of serious injuries, including knee and pectoral. Needs more pass rush moves beyond wide and bull.

Sounds alot like that VG guy....
    Last edited by C Mart; 01-26-2012 at 08:53 AM.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Weaknesses: Is slightly high cut and somewhat stiff in the hips, likely too stiff for 3-4 OLB consideration. Doesn't change directions well. Can be late off the snap. Has a history of serious injuries, including knee and pectoral. Needs more pass rush moves beyond wide and bull.
    Saw that. It's funny how some of these write ups at different sites contradict each other.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Beyond the injuries...my real worry...those weaknesses are a dime a dozen amongst draft scouting reports. You might have read it in Hali or Suggs' scouting report...or Woodley...or Gholston....

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    4. Cam Johnson, Virginia (6-3 3/4, 267)
    Johnson is a guy that was a high school wide receiver and defensive back. He played linebacker at Virginia and wound up as a defensive end. He is one of the most intriguing hybrid players in Mobile. I watched him line up with his hand on the ground and he blew up a pulling guard on a trap scheme his way. I observed him in a two-point stance and he easily beat a running back and also bull rushed a tackle. Johnson is athletic enough to line up on a flexed tight end and cover him. One NFL scout called him an enigma, but another scout said he's exactly what his team looks for in a 3-4 scheme.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/...P11_hot_topics

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    4. Cam Johnson, Virginia (6-3 3/4, 267)
    Johnson is a guy that was a high school wide receiver and defensive back. He played linebacker at Virginia and wound up as a defensive end. He is one of the most intriguing hybrid players in Mobile. I watched him line up with his hand on the ground and he blew up a pulling guard on a trap scheme his way. I observed him in a two-point stance and he easily beat a running back and also bull rushed a tackle. Johnson is athletic enough to line up on a flexed tight end and cover him. One NFL scout called him an enigma, but another scout said he's exactly what his team looks for in a 3-4 scheme.

http://www.nfl.com/seniorbowl/story/...P11_hot_topics

Different than the earlier write up that was psoted. This jives with what I saw from him in drills and scrimmage.