Thread: Mets could have largest payroll dropoff ever

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Mets could have largest payroll dropoff ever

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...l-dropoff-ever

The largest one-year payroll slashing in Major League Baseball history might not belong to the then-Florida Marlins, whose offseason fire sale six years ago landed Carlos Delgado and Paul Lo Duca with the New York Mets and gutted the team's payroll from $60 million to $15 million.

The Mets could be looking at the record for trimming the most payroll from one season to the next.

The distinction, it turns out, soon may belong to the 2012 Mets.

After general manager Sandy Alderson revealed the organization lost $70 million last year, the Mets appear poised to have the biggest one-year payroll drop in MLB history -- roughly $52 million. That would surpass the former record: $48.4 million by the Texas Rangers from 2003 to 2004, according to ESPN Stats & Information.

The Marlins from 2005 to 2006 had the biggest reduction by percentage, trimming nearly 75 percent of their payroll, but the total was $45.4 million.

The Mets' payroll, which stood at roughly $143 million last season, is expected to swoon to less than $91 million this Opening Day.

Reigning National League batting champion Jose Reyes signed a six-year, $106 million contract with the Marlins -- without the Mets mustering a bid. In fact, the biggest-ticket acquisition the Mets made this offseason was signing free-agent closer Frank Francisco to a two-year, $12 million deal. He will earn $5.5 million in 2012.

As a result of the departures of Carlos Beltran, Francisco Rodriguez and Reyes from last year's Opening Day roster, as well as upgrades by other National League East clubs, the Mets are widely projected to have their fourth straight losing season and finish in last place in the division.

And if Fred Wilpon and family are to survive as Mets owners -- which is their intent -- the austerity likely will continue into future offseasons, meaning fans bear the brunt of the payroll constraints with a less-than-optimal product.

"I think we have to get the fans back at the stadium. That's a necessity. That's the lifeblood," Wilpon told reporters at this month's quarterly owners meetings in Paradise Valley, Ariz. "And to do that, we have to have a good team. ... I think we're going to be better than you think. We would hope that Mets fans enjoy going to the ballpark and give this team a try."

The Mets cut ticket prices for the third consecutive season, this time between 5 and 30 percent depending on the location. The paradox the Wilpons are facing is that they need the revenue generated by fans in order to continue meeting their debt payments. Yet the lack of big-ticket signings and excitement about what's forecast to be a last-place team likely will keep fans away.

I'm a Yankees fan but it really sucks knowing that the Phillies get to win that division uncontested from the Mets for the next several years...

two things that jump out at me when reading this article:

Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    [url]the biggest-ticket acquisition the Mets made this offseason was signing free-agent closer Frank Francisco to a two-year, $12 million deal. He will earn $5.5 million in 2012.
    SO, you are slashing payroll but use money to bring in Francisco? Is he that vital? you had no in house answers for closing games? I don't know where they could have spent the money, but if the payroll is going austerity, why use some of it for him?

"I think we have to get the fans back at the stadium. That's a necessity. That's the lifeblood," Wilpon told reporters
    he has a funny way of showing it.

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    two things that jump out at me when reading this article:

SO, you are slashing payroll but use money to bring in Francisco? Is he that vital? you had no in house answers for closing games? I don't know where they could have spent the money, but if the payroll is going austerity, why use some of it for him?

he has a funny way of showing it.
    actually no...the pen was a HUGE need for this team IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    actually no...the pen was a HUGE need for this team IMO...
    I get that, but it is a 2 year deal. Is this going to help for when the Mets are ready to contend? Was it really that dire of a need for this season? I guess, you as a fan would know more than I.

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    I get that, but it is a 2 year deal. Is this going to help for when the Mets are ready to contend? Was it really that dire of a need for this season? I guess, you as a fan would know more than I.
    The in-house option for closer was Parnell, who pretty much failed spectacularly when given the chance last year. Might've been just a poorly timed cold stretch, but it scared the Mets into not going into this year with him as their closer. Hell, considering the Mets acquired 3 relievers, he might not see late inning duty at all. It's unclear who will pitch those set-up innings between Rauch, Ramirez, Parnell, and Acosta, although Rauch seems the early favorite. But I think that's mainly a nod to his reputation.

As for Francisco, he's a solid closer who will fill a glaring need for the next couple years (they do still have to field a team, you know), and probably will have trade value when that contract runs closer to expiring, everyone always needs bullpen help in July, especially ones experienced with pitching late in games.

As for the payroll drop, everyone knows it's large. Whether it's the largest in history or falls short by a couple million (I think Rubin's payroll numbers are off, fwiw, I have us closer to 95 then 90) really just doesn't matter at all. It doesn't really seem newsworthy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    I'm a Yankees fan but it really sucks knowing that the Phillies get to win that division uncontested from the Mets for the next several years...
    The Braves and Marlins are still competitive with the Phillies.

The Mets are going to be very tough to watch the next several years.

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    ... the Mets acquired 3 relievers, he might not see late inning duty at all. It's unclear who will pitch those set-up innings between Rauch, Ramirez, Parnell, and Acosta, although Rauch seems the early favorite...

...As for Francisco, he's a solid closer who will fill a glaring need for the next couple years (they do still have to field a team, you know), and probably will have trade value when that contract runs closer to expiring, everyone always needs bullpen help in July, especially ones experienced with pitching late in games.
    It would not surprise me if Alderson has “…trading away bullpen talent after mid-season…” in his mind as an acceptable outcome for the 2012 season.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Quote Originally Posted by Buster View Post
    It would not surprise me if Alderson has “…trading away bullpen talent after mid-season…” in his mind as an acceptable outcome for the 2012 season.
    If that could net the Mets a prospect like Wilson Ramos, who the Nats picked up midseason from the Twins in exchange for shlub reliever (having a decent 1/2 season) like Matt Capps, I'm all for it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    The Braves and Marlins are still competitive with the Phillies.

The Mets are going to be very tough to watch the next several years.
    try next decade....

Hall Of Fame
    Im a Yankee fan but I am no one of those Yankee fans that hates the Mets. I think when the Mets are good it is good for baseball and good for NY.

I just wish the Wilpons would sell and let someone who is capable of handling a competitive payroll take over. Mets can't model themselves after Tampa. Tampa is in Tamps, not NY. Penny pinching will not work. It is OK to want to develop the farm system but you have to be able to buy some players at the ML level.

Last year should have been Armageddon for the Mets but somehow they were able to get into the summer months at around .500. I do not think they will be as lucky this year. If they are 20 games under in June it is going to be ugly.