Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Updated Mock Offseason

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    26,456
    Post Thanks / Like

    Updated Mock Offseason

    FA Signings

    OT Vernon Carey
    WR Braylon Edwards
    FS Reggie Nelson
    TE Joel Dreessen
    QB Chad Henne


    FA Re-Signings

    NT Sione Pouha
    OLB Aaron Maybin
    FS Jim Leonhard


    Draft


    1st round: OLB Melvin Ingram - South Carolina

    2nd round: ILB Nigel Bradham - Florida State

    3rd round: RB Isaiah Pead - Cincinnati

    4th round: WR Jarrett Boykin - Virginia Tech

    5th round: TE George Bryan - N.C. State

    6th round: OG Charles Burton - Montana

    7th round: P Bryan Anger - California

  2. #2
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    1,760
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't even think Ingram will be there at 16 at this point. Every team picking from 7-15 will give him serious consideration IMO.

  3. #3
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,918
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW other then resigning Pouha and drafting Ingram this is no a good thing.

    Not one of those FA would be an upgrade IMO. I'd rather resign Turner then sign Carey for depth. I just hate Henne so much I actually wouldn't be able to watch the games for fear I'd break my TV throwing something at that bum. Edwards wouldn't even make the team so why bother. Nelson can't stop the deep pass I'd rather resign Pool and Dress would be a 3rd behind Cumby.

    Even if Leonhard is healthy he will never be the same, again I'd rather bring Pool back. Maybin eh OK I guess, but if you are drafting Bradham there is really no point. He can't cover to save his life but neither can Westy. Huge pushes on Bradham and Boykins for that matter. Neither are likely going that early. 3 wasted draft picks outside of that and a Punter?

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,247
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I don't even think Ingram will be there at 16 at this point. Every team picking from 7-15 will give him serious consideration IMO.
    I think there's a good shot that either Ingram or Upshaw will fall to us. The fact that Glenn and M Adams are having such strong senior bowl weeks might push them into the top half of round 1, which could help push one of these two pass rushers down to us.

  5. #5
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    WOW other then resigning Pouha and drafting Ingram this is no a good thing.

    Not one of those FA would be an upgrade IMO. I'd rather resign Turner then sign Carey for depth.

    We need Turner AND another vet o-lineman so we don;t get caught with our pants down like we did this years.

    I just hate Henne so much I actually wouldn't be able to watch the games for fear I'd break my TV throwing something at that bum.

    Henne would be 100 times a better backup than Brunnell.


    Edwards wouldn't even make the team so why bother.

    Sheer and utter nonsense. The guy was hurt last year but was a much better WR than 'Tone' the year before. He would be an ideal cheap guy to come in who has some chemistry with the QB.

    Nelson can't stop the deep pass I'd rather resign Pool and Dress would be a 3rd behind Cumby.

    I don't know enough bout Nelson good or bad but our safties are perhaps the worst in the league they are all garbage including Leonard coming off a bad injury. Cumberland coming of a bad injury who knows.

    Even if Leonhard is healthy he will never be the same, again I'd rather bring Pool back. Maybin eh OK I guess, but if you are drafting Bradham there is really no point. He can't cover to save his life but neither can Westy.

    Coverage is about the 10th thing you should look for in your LB's if they are covering a lot you have a bad scheme problem and will get killed.
    Huge pushes on Bradham and Boykins for that matter. Neither are likely going that early. 3 wasted draft picks outside of that and a Punter?

    You are disputing the need for a punter? Did you even watch the Jets last year?

  6. #6
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not much of a fan of this at all...Henne (as a backup) and Carey would be fine, though I am a little iffy on Carey myself...the other FAs are very, very meh...Hate the draft...there's likeable individual players but just not a fan of how it goes down...too early on the RB, probably too early on Bradham, and I haven't jumped on the Ingram bandwagon yet.

  7. #7
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    E'Ville
    Posts
    1,241
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Not much of a fan of this at all...Henne (as a backup) and Carey would be fine, though I am a little iffy on Carey myself...the other FAs are very, very meh...
    Considering the amount of money we have to spend, this is one of the most realistic offseason acquisition lists I've seen. I'm working on a mock offseason now, and my FA list isn't far too different. We probably have money for one mid-level free agent and the rest will have to be from the bargain bin.

    As for the draft, I don't have enough of an educated opinion, especially on the later picks, to be critical of it. I am a fan of the first two picks, however.

    IMHO, if you're not picking in the top 8-10 this year, the smart money is to trade down. Doesn't seem like that much of a difference between the mid-late first round through the second. And since we're in a position where we need to fill depth at many spots, that's the best route to take...

  8. #8
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    6,918
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am so glad you are not our DC. You must think LaMarr Woodley, Terrell Suggs, Connor Barwin, and Clay Matthews suck because they spend so much time covering guys. Coverage is very important for our OLB at this time. Most of the best OLB in the league are the best because they can drop back in coverage when needed or blitz the line. One of the reasons Suggs made the transition so well is because he had coverage skills.

    All the games we had trouble stopping an O wasn't because of our blitz, backfield, run stopping, or rec skills. It was do to mismatches vs good TEs and RBs. Rotating over our ILBs just isn't enough when you have to man up on the outside. RB dont just block any more you have to adjust for that. True a 3-4 are based on Jack LB to play up front but successful 3-4s need a cover LB or 2 to rotate over.

    This is a league where most teams are stacking these guys. If you dont have a cover OLB you aren't going far. The loss of Jason Taylor was noticeable this year. He may not have been great but he could at least man up vs a RB. Always putting 7 men up front will not get you far. You use different LBs in different situations.

    Yes I am disputing the need for a punter when we had one this year that had a great year. If he didn't earn a 2nd year no one on this team did. Conley is a future pro bowl punter why mess with the success he had this year? Give him a 2nd year on the field he will be solid. He was a QB turned DB and now he is a punter. I keep hearing he doesn't have a strong enough leg but he averaged 47.4 yards his Sr year with a long of 74. That is good at any level. Not everyone is perfect their 1st year starting. The guy has a tremendous up side for a punter.

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    745
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    Yes I am disputing the need for a punter when we had one this year that had a great year. If he didn't earn a 2nd year no one on this team did. Conley is a future pro bowl punter why mess with the success he had this year? Give him a 2nd year on the field he will be solid. He was a QB turned DB and now he is a punter. I keep hearing he doesn't have a strong enough leg but he averaged 47.4 yards his Sr year with a long of 74. That is good at any level. Not everyone is perfect their 1st year starting. The guy has a tremendous up side for a punter.
    I agree with this. Many on this site, including myself, actually wanted to draft Conley a few years ago when he came out. He's been in our camp a few times and we finally brought him in to start. Westoff loves him, he's young, and he will definitely get better. His play was not disastrous and he has earned another year. Not everyone can be Shane Lechler (would be nice though).

  10. #10
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Ft Lauderdale by way of New York
    Posts
    13,208
    Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped after Carey and Henne

  11. #11
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    21,152
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am so glad you are not our DC. You must think LaMarr Woodley, Terrell Suggs, Connor Barwin, and Clay Matthews suck because they spend so much time covering guys. Coverage is very important for our OLB at this time. Most of the best OLB in the league are the best because they can drop back in coverage when needed or blitz the line. One of the reasons Suggs made the transition so well is because he had coverage skills.

    Sheer and utter nonsense. On defense you are praying like hell your olbs don't have to cover for more than 2 seconds or they are going to get burnt.

    All the games we had trouble stopping an O wasn't because of our blitz, backfield, run stopping, or rec skills. It was do to mismatches vs good TEs and RBs. Rotating over our ILBs just isn't enough when you have to man up on the outside. RB dont just block any more you have to adjust for that. True a 3-4 are based on Jack LB to play up front but successful 3-4s need a cover LB or 2 to rotate over.

    No olbs can cover the TE's or the backs these days, your name is appropriate if you think they can or are part of a solid game plan. Our safties can't even cover TE's

    This is a league where most teams are stacking these guys. If you dont have a cover OLB you aren't going far. The loss of Jason Taylor was noticeable this year. He may not have been great but he could at least man up vs a RB. Always putting 7 men up front will not get you far. You use different LBs in different situations.

    Total nonsense again, how many times a game, no how many times a year do you say, hey that olb made a gret play covering that te or rb. You don't unless the qb has to deliver the ball immediately. If you are relying on olbs to be main stay voer guys you'll get eaten alive by any team in the league.

    Yes I am disputing the need for a punter when we had one this year that had a great year. If he didn't earn a 2nd year no one on this team did. Conley is a future pro bowl punter why mess with the success he had this year? Give him a 2nd year on the field he will be solid. He was a QB turned DB and now he is a punter. I keep hearing he doesn't have a strong enough leg but he averaged 47.4 yards his Sr year with a long of 74. That is good at any level. Not everyone is perfect their 1st year starting. The guy has a tremendous up side for a punter.

    Conley is garbage compared to most of the other punters in the leauge and like Folk saved his worst kicks for the worst possible times. We were conistently out kicked by the better punters in the league. Conley was 30th in the league in punting avg, 20th in net average
    Last edited by Beerfish; 01-27-2012 at 10:17 PM.

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3,481
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I am so glad you are not our DC. You must think LaMarr Woodley, Terrell Suggs, Connor Barwin, and Clay Matthews suck because they spend so much time covering guys. Coverage is very important for our OLB at this time. Most of the best OLB in the league are the best because they can drop back in coverage when needed or blitz the line. One of the reasons Suggs made the transition so well is because he had coverage skills.

    All the games we had trouble stopping an O wasn't because of our blitz, backfield, run stopping, or rec skills. It was do to mismatches vs good TEs and RBs. Rotating over our ILBs just isn't enough when you have to man up on the outside. RB dont just block any more you have to adjust for that. True a 3-4 are based on Jack LB to play up front but successful 3-4s need a cover LB or 2 to rotate over.

    This is a league where most teams are stacking these guys. If you dont have a cover OLB you aren't going far. The loss of Jason Taylor was noticeable this year. He may not have been great but he could at least man up vs a RB. Always putting 7 men up front will not get you far. You use different LBs in different situations.

    Yes I am disputing the need for a punter when we had one this year that had a great year. If he didn't earn a 2nd year no one on this team did. Conley is a future pro bowl punter why mess with the success he had this year? Give him a 2nd year on the field he will be solid. He was a QB turned DB and now he is a punter. I keep hearing he doesn't have a strong enough leg but he averaged 47.4 yards his Sr year with a long of 74. That is good at any level. Not everyone is perfect their 1st year starting. The guy has a tremendous up side for a punter.
    You RARELY use your best pass rusher in coverage. On those rare occasions if he isn't elite, it is not the end of the world. This is like saying Revis is bad cause he isn't a great blitzer... who cares.

  13. #13
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Considering the amount of money we have to spend, this is one of the most realistic offseason acquisition lists I've seen. I'm working on a mock offseason now, and my FA list isn't far too different. We probably have money for one mid-level free agent and the rest will have to be from the bargain bin.

    As for the draft, I don't have enough of an educated opinion, especially on the later picks, to be critical of it. I am a fan of the first two picks, however.

    IMHO, if you're not picking in the top 8-10 this year, the smart money is to trade down. Doesn't seem like that much of a difference between the mid-late first round through the second. And since we're in a position where we need to fill depth at many spots, that's the best route to take...
    I'd rather Griffin than what's his name...Nelson, who might try to cash in himself. Is Dreesen a good blocker at TE? That's what this offense needs. I'd try to throw the Giants a fif for Bear Pascoe, who fixes exactly what ails the Jets at TE, but a pick is not a ball or sumthin.

    I think they should go cheap on the FAs anyway...I just don't get the whole bring Braylon back thing. Bring back Burress and get a really talented young draft pick in.

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,760
    Post Thanks / Like
    question for the draftnicks. can mercilus play a hybrid 3-4? he reminds me of abraham a bit, he also plays the run well and has a knack for causing fumbles. if the jets are hellbent on defense in the 1st, is he able to rush the passer standing up?

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Delaware
    Posts
    6,292
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    FA Signings

    OT Vernon Carey
    WR Braylon Edwards
    FS Reggie Nelson
    TE Joel Dreessen
    QB Chad Henne


    FA Re-Signings

    NT Sione Pouha
    OLB Aaron Maybin
    FS Jim Leonhard


    Draft


    1st round: OLB Melvin Ingram - South Carolina

    2nd round: ILB Nigel Bradham - Florida State

    3rd round: RB Isaiah Pead - Cincinnati

    4th round: WR Jarrett Boykin - Virginia Tech

    5th round: TE George Bryan - N.C. State

    6th round: OG Charles Burton - Montana

    7th round: P Bryan Anger - California
    Why do u draft like we're picking in the late 20s.

  16. #16
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    question for the draftnicks. can mercilus play a hybrid 3-4? he reminds me of abraham a bit, he also plays the run well and has a knack for causing fumbles. if the jets are hellbent on defense in the 1st, is he able to rush the passer standing up?
    He's exactly the kind of athlete they should be looking for, that's for sure. His question marks are probably more where he is mentally and etc...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us