Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who are your top 8 Presidents to ever serve?

Who are your top 8 Presidents to ever serve?

While most of us weren't alive for the names that are about to be put forth, I think we can all find agreement in terms of history what the impact those Presidents had on the economy and the country as a whole...

You'll see names like Lincoln and both Roosevelt's on each list, whether it be from (R) (D) or (L).

I'm curious where the differences lie and why they lie there.

Just an exercise to see the varied opinions on the history of the oval office amongst the JI faithful.

So name your top 8 if you have 8, if not, whatever you have and why they're the cream of the crop, in your eyes.

1 Lincoln - Greatest accomplishment as president of any of them. He preserved the Union and undid it's greatest sin.
    1A Washington - If Washington didn't exist there would be no USA. He was that important. Only reason he isn't #1 is because of Lincoln. Lincoln saved the union.
    3. Reagan: This beloved President implemented policies that helped vanquish our greatest enemy of the second part of the century and ushered in the greatest 20 year period of growth and prosperity of modern times.
    4. Kennedy - A solid conservative that showed true leadership in his dealings with the USSR on the Cuban Missile Crisis. Also was an inspirational leader that believed that citizens should "ask not what their country could do for them but rather what they could do for their Country". A polar opposite to the current crop of D leadership.
    5. Teddy Roosevelt - Gave the Country its identity at a time when it was sorely needed. A truly inspirational figure.

Woodrow Wilson - Set the table for Rooseveldt's Collectivism

F.D. Roosevedlt - Implements Collectivism on a scale never before seen and locked it into Amrican society.

L.B. Johnson - Advanced Wilson/Roosevldt collectivism greatly.

B.H. Obama - Mainstreamed colelctivism ideals intot he wider society and culture. Being a collectivism is not longer a fringe view.

These four men will go down in history (eventually) as the greatest collectivist leaders in U.S> History, paving the way for the true greatness of a collectivist United States of America.

All Pro
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4349312]Woodrow Wilson - Set the table for Rooseveldt's Collectivism

F.D. Roosevedlt - Implements Collectivism on a scale never before seen and locked it into Amrican society.

L.B. Johnson - Advanced Wilson/Roosevldt collectivism greatly.

B.H. Obama - Mainstreamed colelctivism ideals intot he wider society and culture. Being a collectivism is not longer a fringe view.

These four men will go down in history (eventually) as the greatest collectivist leaders in U.S> History, paving the way for the true greatness of a collectivist United States of America.[/QUOTE]

You forgot the Federalists: Washington, Adams, John Quincy Adams (a Whig, but with Federalist pedigree and platform). And you forgot Lincoln, who is the bane of most Jeffersonians and states righters. And what about TR? Just curious: who do you really admire? Jefferson? Madison? Both learned very quickly that the same things they diatribed against when they were out of office were the same things they fought hard to assert when they were President. Both became fans of strengthening the executive powers because they saw how difficult it was to pursue a policy in the face of congressional opposition and gamesmanship.

[QUOTE=long island leprechaun;4349372]You forgot[/QUOTE]

I forgot or omitted nothing.

I wrote my list. You write you own, if you please.

Its always a great question and very good to debate. For me its easier to start from the top down.

1. Abraham Lincoln
    2. Franklin Roosevelt
    3. Thomas Jefferson
    4. John Quincy Adams

After that, who the hell knows.....;)

Jets Insider VIP
    1.) Lincoln
    2.) Wilson
    3.) Reagan
    4.) Clinton
    5.) Polk
    6.) Jackson
    7.) FDR
    8.) Coolidge

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4349419]1.) Lincoln
    2.) Wilson
    3.) Reagan
    4.) Clinton
    [B]5.) Polk[/B]
    6.) Jackson
    7.) FDR
    8.) Coolidge[/QUOTE]

I'd expect that choice from a southerner, certainly a Texan but never someone so anti-Southwest as you.

Very interesting choice, sir.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4349474]I'd expect that choice from a southerner, certainly a Texan but never someone so anti-Southwest as you.

Very interesting choice, sir.[/QUOTE]

The man accomplished everything he set out to do in 4 years and then didn't run for re-election.

It's been a while since we had a president that wasn't a narcissist...

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4349481]The man accomplished everything he set out to do in 4 years and then didn't run for re-election.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I agree with the choice.

He actually slipped my mind when I was thinking but he belongs up there more so than some I had in mind.

Nicely done.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4349484]Hey, I agree with the choice.

He actually slipped my mind when I was thinking but he belongs up there more so than some I had in mind.

Nicely done.[/QUOTE]

One of my biggest peeves about modern politicians is that they spend 1/2 of their elected term running for re-election.

It shows a lack of historical understanding to leave Washington off those lists. The only debate is between him and Lincoln for #1 and 2. Washington was the architect of the role of the Presidency. The reason Presidents traditionally serve 2 terms is because none (before or after FDR) had the hubris to stay in office longer than the greatest of Presidents.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=chiefst2000;4349504]It shows a lack of historical understanding to leave Washington off those lists.[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Me including Polk and Coolidge goes to show how little I understand about history. :rolleyes:

Washington is implied.

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4349516]Yup.

Me including Polk and Coolidge goes to show how little I understand about history. :rolleyes:

Washington is implied.[/QUOTE]

Lol, pick your list and the be told you're wrong. Classic.

[QUOTE=cr726;4349550]Lol, pick your list and the be told you're wrong. Classic.[/QUOTE]

Or don't ingratiate yourself into the thread at all, just jab at another poster and keep moving...

You're soooooooooo much better :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    1. George Washington
    2. Abraham Lincoln
    3. FDR
    4. Ronald Reagan
    5. Teddy Roosevelt
    6. Thomas Jefferson
    7. John Quincy Adams
    8. John Kennedy

[QUOTE=AlwaysGreenAlwaysWhite;4349552]Or don't ingratiate yourself into the thread at all, just jab at another poster and keep moving...

You're soooooooooo much better :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

1. Washington
    2. Adams (guy got zero respect)
    3. Lincoln
    4. Madison
    5. Truman

Peer pressure works!

[QUOTE=PlumberKhan;4349494]One of my biggest peeves about modern politicians is that they spend 1/2 of their elected term running for re-election.[/QUOTE]

+1

[QUOTE=cr726;4349602]1. Washington
    2. Adams (guy got zero respect)
    3. Lincoln
    4. Madison
    5. Truman

Peer pressure works![/QUOTE]

See, that wasn't hard...

Carry on.

Jets Insider VIP
    In Morris Co., N.J. at the right end of a Browning 12 gauge, with Nick to my left n Rex to my right.
    Washington
    Lincoln
    FDR
    RR
    TR
    Adams
    JFK
    Nixon