Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 51

Thread: Mike Adams a top 20 pick?

  1. #1
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,272

    Mike Adams a top 20 pick?

    Mike Adams seems to really have impressed at the senior bowl. He was getting race reviews from his work on the practice field and then he went out and stone-walled guys like Ingram and Upshaw in the game.

    My question for the forum is he now a top 20 pick and, if so, should he be a target for the Jets as a RT?

  2. #2
    I think a RT is not a position that you use a top 20 pick on. We can find an adequate one later in the draft, this year especially. For the first time in years we have a good pick and there should be impact OLBs available...its time to get one.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think a RT is not a position that you use a top 20 pick on. We can find an adequate one later in the draft, this year especially. For the first time in years we have a good pick and there should be impact OLBs available...its time to get one.
    I hear you about not reaching high for a RT, but Adams is grading out as a LT as well so his value will be higher. And after witnessing this year's debacle at RT, i think it's fair to assume, whether I agree with it or not, that the Jets will be open to the idea of using their first rounder on a RT, whether it's Adams, Reiff or Martin.

    OLB is at the top of my wish list as well, but I'm starting to think that Ingram and Upshaw will be long gone by the time the Jets pick. If that's the case, the Jets would have to look to second-tier talent to fill that position, which would seem to be a big reach at 16. This brings me back to Adams ... or DeCastro.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think a RT is not a position that you use a top 20 pick on. We can find an adequate one later in the draft, this year especially. For the first time in years we have a good pick and there should be impact OLBs available...its time to get one.
    A good OLB prospect/passrusher should be available when we pick @ 16 ie Ingram/ Upshaw/ Perry/ Curry/ Mercilus etc

  5. #5
    I don't think he makes it to 16. it wouldn't surprise me if Adams were a top 5 or 10 pick. that's how well he played last week. Some say he's better than Reiff. To see a guy legit 6'7" with those feet, is rare.

  6. #6
    He could be but until the combine I'm going to say no. RT should be easier to fill. There is a lot of love for Woody here and he was never supposed to be a long term fix. He worked out much better then expected and we kept him. Same thing goes here. You look at the market and fill the spot with the BPA. If it works great if not look again next year. Not so sure drafting a RT that early is a smart move. A lot of people will say we jumped on a RT too early in Vlad. To do it again here with a 1st would be a bold move. I'm not throwing it out but it is a dangerous pick IMO. I just think we should go D this year in the 1st. I see the value at OL and WR but D is our strong point and it is slipping. We can not lose that.

  7. #7
    Would never get mad taking a tackle in the first round of the draft, right or left. This isn't like years past where the pass rusher is always rushing against your LT. Some teams have 2 pass rushers to truly worry about nowadays.

    Also like the idea of getting a guy like Adams who could slide over to LT if the worst case scenario happens and Brick did actually get hurt.


    Adams definitely deserves to be taken top 20... The guy re-anchors so well after that initial contact.

  8. #8
    I've been saying from the start that Mike Adams is a guy the Jets need to be locking on to at the draft in rd 1. Everyone said I was stupid for saying he's worth taking at 16 and now it looks like he may not even make it to us there. I don't care if some people say you can't use a 1st round pick on right tackle that is rubbish. Adams would solidfy our O-line.

    Jets will be fighting it out with Buffalo next season to stay out of last place in the AFC East if we rely on a 3rd or 4th round pick or the Vernon Careys of the world to solve our problem at RT. If we do that you might as well just bring back Hunter. Demetrius Bell is going to be too expensive.


    Or we can just draft a wr and wait 2-3 years for that kid to develop into something decent meanwhile we've had nothing but losing seasons and the Giants have gone to another Super Bowl. "We haven't drafted a 1st round wr in 10 years" - so we obviously have to now right?
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 01-30-2012 at 04:05 PM.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think a RT is not a position that you use a top 20 pick on. We can find an adequate one later in the draft, this year especially. For the first time in years we have a good pick and there should be impact OLBs available...its time to get one.
    Why not? With the slotted system it would be cheaper than a good free agent RT and generally first round OL are somewhat safer picks.

  10. #10
    I still prefer Cordy Glenn...the guy is 6'5 340, carries it like a boss, is SEC tested over multiple years, finished real strong as a senior (which I love), had a very strong week, has the power the Jets would want for the running game, AND he can protect the passer.

    He's a guy who fits like a glove here IMO...I really don't get what's not to like.

  11. #11
    All League
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    3,968
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I still prefer Cordy Glenn...the guy is 6'5 340, carries it like a boss, is SEC tested over multiple years, finished real strong as a senior (which I love), had a very strong week, has the power the Jets would want for the running game, AND he can protect the passer.

    He's a guy who fits like a glove here IMO...I really don't get what's not to like.
    +1

    Can play both sides; even guard.

  12. #12
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Eastchester, NY
    Posts
    1,272
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I just think we should go D this year in the 1st. I see the value at OL and WR but D is our strong point and it is slipping. We can not lose that.
    My thoughts exactly. But if there's an early run on pass rushers (such as by Buffalo and Miami) than I think the Jets will jump on a slipping o-lineman like DeCastro, Reiff, Martin or even Adams.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I still prefer Cordy Glenn...the guy is 6'5 340, carries it like a boss, is SEC tested over multiple years, finished real strong as a senior (which I love), had a very strong week, has the power the Jets would want for the running game, AND he can protect the passer.

    He's a guy who fits like a glove here IMO...I really don't get what's not to like.
    Cordy Glenn at 16

    if gonna fix the RT problem, lets fix it.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Cordy Glenn at 16

    if gonna fix the RT problem, lets fix it.
    What are the knocks on this guy? He needs a little coaching up technique-wise and could stand to be a little quicker? I wonder if he'll be around in the second just because Kalil, Konz, DeCastro, Martin, Adams, and Reiff will go before him. Even if he made it to the 2nd round, I don't think he'd make it 16 picks in. Does that even matter given his talent and the likeliness of him being a full out bust (if he sucks at T then he's going to be a kickass G boohoo)?
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-31-2012 at 05:23 AM.

  15. #15
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    St. Peter-Ording (Germany)
    Posts
    5,530
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    What are the knocks on this guy? He needs a little coaching up technique-wise and could stand to be a little quicker? I wonder if he'll be around in the second just because Kalil, Konz, DeCastro, Martin, Adams, and Reiff will go before him. Even if he made it to the 2nd round, I don't think he'd make it 16 picks in.
    The knocks on Glenn are his mobility in pass protection, thus raising major questions about him as a left tackle. There is no way though he drops to the second round. The planet theory applies to him - only a few men on this planet have his combination of size and athletisism. Scott Wright recently wrote that Glenn was the biggest player he has ever seen in person at the senior bowl. You just dont find athletes who can move around with his massive size every day.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    The knocks on Glenn are his mobility in pass protection, thus raising major questions about him as a left tackle. There is no way though he drops to the second round. The planet theory applies to him - only a few men on this planet have his combination of size and athletisism. Scott Wright recently wrote that Glenn was the biggest player he has ever seen in person at the senior bowl. You just dont find athletes who can move around with his massive size every day.
    His mobility isn't even that bad...It's just not D'Brick/Ryan Kalil/Joe Thomas good...That said, perfectly fine with me...Jets need a RT and he's always been more of a Damien Woody (who went 17 in '99) clone to me anyway.

    Agreed on the planet theory thing. It's just funny that I see late first-2nd, mostly 2nd, talk with this guy despite everything you can write about him. I had to ask/throw out the scenario.

  17. #17
    if the jets can get a very good RT in the first round, they should do it. RT is more important than it used to be. defenses overstacked the right side of the jets line last year b/c they had a crappy RT and a crappy TE and they feasted and it changed the way sanchez viewed the field. i hope they don't reach for one though.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    Why not? With the slotted system it would be cheaper than a good free agent RT and generally first round OL are somewhat safer picks.
    Agree about 1st round OTs being somewhat safer, but for me its simply a numbers game.

    Kalil, Reiff, Martin, Adams
    Decastro, Glenn, Osemele, Konz and even Sanders (who we don't want)

    Thats eight guys for first round consideration. All of the tackles (except sanders) on that list can be considered possibly LTs. I don't see the value in paying a LT price for someone we will play at RT. While important, RT simply isn't a position we draft at 16.

    Id rather look at the Datko/Abcock type players that are good prospects for RT and therefore will be drafted in the RT area of the 2nd-3rd round.

    There are really only 2 outstanding OLBs in Ingram and Upshaw. That is getting accurate value at 16 in my opinion at a position we desperately need.

    If both OLBs are gone, I have no problem trading down and grabbing a Cordy GLenn and getting another pick, but if we can find a pass rushing OLB at 16, we need to grab him.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Would never get mad taking a tackle in the first round of the draft, right or left. This isn't like years past where the pass rusher is always rushing against your LT. Some teams have 2 pass rushers to truly worry about nowadays.

    Also like the idea of getting a guy like Adams who could slide over to LT if the worst case scenario happens and Brick did actually get hurt.


    Adams definitely deserves to be taken top 20... The guy re-anchors so well after that initial contact.
    for a team that had a dreadful Rt/te combo on the right side last year that limited the running and passing game, a good RT is very important. another way to think about it is, with all these pass rushers going in the first few rounds, the jets better have a RT who can block them.

    realistically the jets could take a RT in the 1st, an olb in the 2nd and a G in the 3rd. i think tanny is going to have a meat and potatos draft where the first skill player is taken in the 3rd round at the earliest.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if the jets can get a very good RT in the first round, they should do it. RT is more important than it used to be. defenses overstacked the right side of the jets line last year b/c they had a crappy RT and a crappy TE and they feasted and it changed the way sanchez viewed the field. i hope they don't reach for one though.
    I want the Jets to get Mike Adams in rd 1 and a big, strong blocking TE like George Bryan in the later rounds. That would do a helluva lot more to improve our offense than drafting some WR who could take years to develop like most NFL receivers do.


    Adams dominated Upshaw and Ingram in the Senior Bowl - two players whose balls get washed endlessly by posters on this site. That's gotta tell you something.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us