Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mike Adams a top 20 pick?

Jets Insider VIP
    Adams, DeCastro, and Glenn should all be strongly considered at #16 (I doubt DeCastro is there though, don't see him making it past Dallas).

If we want to solve the RT situation through FA, then we're going to have to overpay out the ass for a guy like Demetrius Bell and he's the only FA OT that I feel good about.

Guys like Levi Brown, Jared Gaither, and Vernon Carey are good run blockers but are very shaky in pass protection.

I don't understand these people who complain non stop about how bad our OL was last year, but are totally against taking an OL in the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Adams, DeCastro, and Glenn should all be strongly considered at #16 (I doubt DeCastro is there though, don't see him making it past Dallas).

If we want to solve the RT situation through FA, then we're going to have to overpay out the ass for a guy like Demetrius Bell and he's the only FA OT that I feel good about.

Guys like Levi Brown, Jared Gaither, and Vernon Carey are good run blockers but are very shaky in pass protection.

I don't understand these people who complain non stop about how bad our OL was last year, but they're totally against taking an OL in the 1st round.
    You don't get it.

We haven't drafted a WR in rd 1 in twenty years. Any WR we take in rd 1 is guaranteed to be the next Hakeem Nicks.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    I think a RT is not a position that you use a top 20 pick on. We can find an adequate one later in the draft, this year especially. For the first time in years we have a good pick and there should be impact OLBs available...its time to get one.
    If we had a quality RT this season not only are we in the playoffs, but who knows what we could have done. (Certainly would have been enough to end the Giants season). So if a RT is a can't miss (not familiar with this particular player, so no comment there) for us, no pick is too high to not consider.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    You don't get it.

We haven't drafted a WR in rd 1 in twenty years. Any WR we take in rd 1 is guaranteed to be the next Hakeem Nicks.
    I'm with you on the WR situation. The most logical way to go in the 1st round IMO is either OL or OLB.

To me it makes no sense to stick Sanchez with a rookie starting receiver in the midst of a make or break year.

Personally, I'd bring in a relatively cheap WR who can stretch the field like Jerome Simpson, Harry Douglas, or Eddie Royal and draft another receiver in the 3rd or 4th round to groom.

All League
    I'm with you on the WR situation. The most logical way to go in the 1st round IMO is either OL or OLB.

To me it makes no sense to stick Sanchez with a rookie starting receiver in the midst of a make or break year.

Personally, I'd bring in a relatively cheap WR who can stretch the field like Jerome Simpson, Harry Douglas, or Eddie Royal and draft another receiver in the 3rd or 4th round to groom.
    Couldn't agree more, maybe even the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by sackdance View Post
    If we had a quality RT this season not only are we in the playoffs, but who knows what we could have done. (Certainly would have been enough to end the Giants season). So if a RT is a can't miss (not familiar with this particular player, so no comment there) for us, no pick is too high to not consider.
    Wayne Hunter and Eric Smith killed us this year. If it wasn't for those two clowns humiliating themselves on a weekly basis the Jets probably win another 2 games and make the playoffs.

totally agree. plus, the last thing tanny/rex want is to draft a diva wr in the first round.

teams overloaded the right side of the jets line and punished sanchez last year. the dropoff from woody to hunter was the worst part of last offseason.

manning wouldn't last a game with hunter and mulligan blocking for him.

Veteran
    The most logical way to go in the 1st round IMO is either OL or OLB.

Ding, ding, ding, ding! +1000.

I also think it's incredibly important for the Jets to do what they must to keep the defense at an elite level, such as by using a round 1 pick on an OLB. The offense just isn't capable of winning any shootouts next year, regardless of how much receiving talent you surround Sanchez with.

We don't need a franchise RT. We need a half assed RT. It also sounds like Sparano is a big blocking TE kind of guy.

I have always been about building the o-line but our defense is not longer iron clad and we can't get by with crap Safeties and getting pressure purely via scheme. We also need a young large WR play maker. I won't ***** and moan about taking an o-lineman depending on who else is on the board at the time.

The Jets were exposed for having a lot more holes than previously thought this past year.

Rookie olineman often get killed their 1st year unless they are the rare mega franchise guy. He's going to be stuck with a rookie at a key position no matter what it seems.

I totally agree with your sentiment.

What I don't agree with, however, is the bolded part. Harry Douglas and especially Eddie Royal are not field stretchers. They're 10yd/catch guys like Kerley. Not a bad thing, but they won't stretch the field. As for Simpson, he could definitely be suspended at the beginning of the year. I don't know if we want any more of that drama to deal with again.

The only non-name WR I'd look to sign this year is Doucet...I do like Simpson a little though.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Rookie olineman often get killed their 1st year unless they are the rare mega franchise guy. He's going to be stuck with a rookie at a key position no matter what it seems.
    Seeing that Tyron Smith was arguably one of the best RTs in the league last year as a rookie makes me think that a guy like Mike Adams could have similar success.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    The only non-name WR I'd look to sign this year is Doucet...I do like Simpson a little though.
    Simpson is so intriguing to me because he has the talent and skill to be an elite WR if he continues to work hard on his craft.

The guy is a freak athlete and is dangerous as hell after the catch, he just needs to work on his route running and catch the ball more consistently.

Could pay off huge if we brought him in.

Simpson is so intriguing to me because he has the talent and skill to be an elite WR if he continues to work hard on his craft.

The guy is a freak athlete and is dangerous as hell after the catch, he just needs to work on his route running and catch the ball more consistently.

Could pay off huge if we brought him in.
    He could also be suspended up to 4 games if he gets in trouble for the weed delivery ordeal from earlier this past season. From a pure talent standpoint, I don't disagree, but it could also add more chaos and criticism of the locker room.

If the Giants players didn't abhor the Jets so much, I'd be a big proponent of Manningham if we went the not dirt cheap but not too expensive FA WR route. He's a solid deep threat that also has some versatility and slot experience as well. The Lance Moore contract would be a good comparison for Manningham's -- approximately $3.5-$4MM a year for 4-5 years, ~$7MM guaranteed so you can get out if it after two years if need be. Or we could try Meachem if he commands less than MM. But then again, I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

It's a real tricky situation because we obviously couldn't/shouldn't pay large money for another starting WR, but we clearly do need a new #2 WR that can go deep if nothing else. Expecting a non-first round rookie to do so is foolish and unrealistic. However, needing a quality #2 WR could be mitigated if we can get a realistic blocking TE that can actually catch the ball and complement Keller.

All Pro
    I can't believe that i'm doing this again but i agree with UT. Either we use the 1st round pick on a pass rushing OLBer or we use it on an OT who can play multiple positions.

I want Nick perry ,but i'm willing to take any OLB who can get to the QBby himself.Baring this,i really want to draft Cordy Glenn.The guy can play 3 or 4 OL positions.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    He could also be suspended up to 4 games if he gets in trouble for the weed delivery ordeal from earlier this past season. From a pure talent standpoint, I don't disagree, but it could also add more chaos and criticism of the locker room.

If the Giants players didn't abhor the Jets so much, I'd be a big proponent of Manningham if we went the not dirt cheap but not too expensive FA WR route. He's a solid deep threat that also has some versatility and slot experience as well. The Lance Moore contract would be a good comparison for Manningham's -- approximately $3.5-$4MM a year for 4-5 years, ~$7MM guaranteed so you can get out if it after two years if need be. Or we could try Meachem if he commands less than MM. But then again, I'm probably getting ahead of myself.

It's a real tricky situation because we obviously couldn't/shouldn't pay large money for another starting WR, but we clearly do need a new #2 WR that can go deep if nothing else. Expecting a non-first round rookie to do so is foolish and unrealistic. However, needing a quality #2 WR could be mitigated if we can get a realistic blocking TE that can actually catch the ball and complement Keller.
    What will Garcon's price tag be?

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    I can't believe that i'm doing this again but i agree with UT. Either we use the 1st round pick on a pass rushing OLBer or we use it on an OT who can play multiple positions.

I want Nick perry ,but i'm willing to take any OLB who can get to the QBby himself.Baring this,i really want to draft Cordy Glenn.The guy can play 3 or 4 OL positions.
    I too am in the "OLB or OT" bunch, but obviously if an obvious BPA came up at 16 at another position...

I'm Cordy Glenn too...It's just a smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I too am in the "OLB or OT" bunch, but obviously if an obvious BPA came up at 16 at another position...

I'm Cordy Glenn too...It's just a smart move.
    if the jets drafted glenn, would they try him at RT? i have a hard time drafting a guard in the middle of the first round when they have so many other needs. i mean, is there such a difference between zeitler and glenn at guard? RT, ok, that position was a disaster. but i think the jets would be better off if they got a guy like ingram or upshaw, and then landed adcock later on, rather than take a guard in the first round.

Quote Originally Posted by NYJCAP2 View Post
    What will Garcon's price tag be?
    My guess is that he'd be a tad bit more than Manningham, something in the ~$4-4.3MM/yr range.

It'll be interesting to see how the contracts of Garcon, Manningham, and Meachem come out. They all entered the league in '08. Meachem has the worst raw stats (rec & yds), but he has the highest yds/catch, most TDs, and also was a 1st round pick unlike Manningham and Garcon...sometimes those 1st rounders have an inflated sense of their worth.

On the health front, Meachem is the healthiest, having not missed a game in the last three years. Manningham has missed 6 and Garcon has missed 4.

Meachem would probably be the the best fit for this offense since he is a healthier, younger version of Braylon Edwards: Tall, fast, deep threat but not amazing in the red zone for his size, excellent in run blocking, etc. Garcon has put up good numbers and even did so this year with Painter/Orlovsky, but he hasn't been known to be a great route runner and seems like a better fit on a pass first team.

As far as cost, IMHO it goes: Garcon > Meachem >> Manningham. I think Garcon gets paid a tad more than Meachem simply because he's 2 years younger.

As far as talent and best fit for the offense, IMHO it goes: Meachem, Manningham, Garcon. The cost for Garcon & Meachem could very well be prohibitive, especially since the Titans completely overpayed Nate Washington (a slightly younger and slightly less skilled player than Meachem) back in '09.