Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Mike Adams a top 20 pick?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bronxville Jets Fan View Post
    Seeing that Tyron Smith was arguably one of the best RTs in the league last year as a rookie makes me think that a guy like Mike Adams could have similar success.
    Look at our own history. Brick and Mangold played well in their rookie year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    My guess is that he'd be a tad bit more than Manningham, something in the ~$4-4.3MM/yr range.

It'll be interesting to see how the contracts of Garcon, Manningham, and Meachem come out. They all entered the league in '08. Meachem has the worst raw stats (rec & yds), but he has the highest yds/catch, most TDs, and also was a 1st round pick unlike Manningham and Garcon...sometimes those 1st rounders have an inflated sense of their worth.

On the health front, Meachem is the healthiest, having not missed a game in the last three years. Manningham has missed 6 and Garcon has missed 4.

Meachem would probably be the the best fit for this offense since he is a healthier, younger version of Braylon Edwards: Tall, fast, deep threat but not amazing in the red zone for his size, excellent in run blocking, etc. Garcon has put up good numbers and even did so this year with Painter/Orlovsky, but he hasn't been known to be a great route runner and seems like a better fit on a pass first team.

As far as cost, IMHO it goes: Garcon > Meachem >> Manningham. I think Garcon gets paid a tad more than Meachem simply because he's 2 years younger.

As far as talent and best fit for the offense, IMHO it goes: Meachem, Manningham, Garcon. The cost for Garcon & Meachem could very well be prohibitive, especially since the Titans completely overpayed Nate Washington (a slightly younger and slightly less skilled player than Meachem) back in '09.
    Garcon makes a lot of sense. What's telling about him is he had his best season WITHOUT Peyton throwing to him. My only problem with Garcon is 1) cost and 2) I'd prefer to have a bigger receiver who can stretch the field.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by detjetsfan View Post
    Garcon makes a lot of sense. What's telling about him is he had his best season WITHOUT Peyton throwing to him. My only problem with Garcon is 1) cost and 2) I'd prefer to have a bigger receiver who can stretch the field.
    Very true, though a little bit of that can be attributed to Reggie Wayne's slow decline. He's also pretty damn young...will turn 26 right before the season starts.

And yes, I agree with your reasons why not to...that's why I think Manningham is a better alternative if we go that route because he's the same age as Garcon, will come cheaper, can line up in FL, SE, slot, and can stretch the field a little better. Meachem would be the best fit, but I don't know if it would be wise to give a 5 year deal to him.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dont like Meachem....more McCairens than Edwards IMO.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    With the way the Jets roster is capwise,u guys need to get used to Names Like Logan Payne,Aaron Riley and Michael Campbel.The Jets may draft a WR in the later rounds,but i'm almost sure they won't be adding 1 via free agency that is a big name.

Not as Long as Santonio Holmes is on this team with that albatros of a contract.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Dont like Meachem....more McCairens than Edwards IMO.
    In what regard?

McCareins's issue with the Jets was drops...plus his strengths, namely the deep ball, were limited with Pennington's dilapidated shoulder. Regardless, he was trash.

If you are comparing Meachem to McCareins as far as hands, then I couldn't disagree any more. These numbers are hard to research, but I never saw Meachem in the upper echelon of dropped passes or drop percentage. In fact, I came across something that said in 2009, Meachem caught 38 of his 49 targets (77%), good for the second highest in the league. Now part of that is attributed to Brees's pinpoint accuracy, but that is still damn good, especially for a deep threat.

Garçon, on the other hand, does not have good hands. I don't have this year's stats, but he had 20 drops in 2008-2010. And that is with Peyton Manning throwing the ball. And he only had a handful of grabs in 2008. He was dropping 1 of every 8 catchable balls coming his way, which is not the same thing as targets. That was bottom of the barrel in the league.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    not a Garçon fan either.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    not a Garçon fan either.
    Me neither. Production is pretty good, but he isn't a consistent route runner and the drops are an issue. Plus his cost might preclude any consideration anyway.

If we can afford a mid-level FA, my wish list goes Meachem then Manningham. If not, the bargain bin looks like crap as far as deep threats. Maybe Devery Henderson will get cut if the Saints try to keep Colston and/or Meachem, he's only a situational guy for them but has wheels. Or maybe Mark Clayton / Lee Evans if we go the injured old guy route. I don't want to beat the Braylon horse, but as far as the bargain bin, he is the most appealing burner.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    In what regard?

McCareins's issue with the Jets was drops...plus his strengths, namely the deep ball, were limited with Pennington's dilapidated shoulder. Regardless, he was trash.

If you are comparing Meachem to McCareins as far as hands, then I couldn't disagree any more. These numbers are hard to research, but I never saw Meachem in the upper echelon of dropped passes or drop percentage. In fact, I came across something that said in 2009, Meachem caught 38 of his 49 targets (77%), good for the second highest in the league. Now part of that is attributed to Brees's pinpoint accuracy, but that is still damn good, especially for a deep threat.

Garçon, on the other hand, does not have good hands. I don't have this year's stats, but he had 20 drops in 2008-2010. And that is with Peyton Manning throwing the ball. And he only had a handful of grabs in 2008. He was dropping 1 of every 8 catchable balls coming his way, which is not the same thing as targets. That was bottom of the barrel in the league.
    J-Mac's main issue was that he was a deep threat with no speed. I really don't know what player Terry Bradway thought he saw in Tennesee that he gave up more to trade for Justin McCareins than the Eagles gave up for TO that year.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Me neither. Production is pretty good, but he isn't a consistent route runner and the drops are an issue. Plus his cost might preclude any consideration anyway.

If we can afford a mid-level FA, my wish list goes Meachem then Manningham. If not, the bargain bin looks like crap as far as deep threats. Maybe Devery Henderson will get cut if the Saints try to keep Colston and/or Meachem, he's only a situational guy for them but has wheels. Or maybe Mark Clayton / Lee Evans if we go the injured old guy route. I don't want to beat the Braylon horse, but as far as the bargain bin, he is the most appealing burner.
    But he's a thug who drinks and beats people up at restaurants and him and Lebron didn't get along and he has 20 illegitimate kids and he didn't have a 2,000 yard 25 td season with Alex Smith last season.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    J-Mac's main issue was that he was a deep threat with no speed. I really don't know what player Terry Bradway thought he saw in Tennesee that he gave up more to trade for Justin McCareins than the Eagles gave up for TO that year.
    I don't know if I agree. I don't remember him having slow game speed, but maybe I'm wrong.

I looked up his 40 time, which was pretty decent for a guy his size (4.51 for a guy who was 6'3"-6'4"). Plus he averaged 15+yds/catch, which is somewhat standard for a deep threat

Either way, the guy blew and it was a horrible trade. Good thing Bradway stepped out of the GM limelight and went back to simply scouting.

But he's a thug who drinks and beats people up at restaurants and him and Lebron didn't get along and he has 20 illegitimate kids and he didn't have a 2,000 yard 25 td season with Alex Smith last season.
    Lol, love the sarcasm. I've seen your posts on the subject, I think we are on the same wavelength re: Braylon