Thread: OT -"LUCK" on HBO last night

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

OT -"LUCK" on HBO last night

Who watched last night?

I thought the show lived up to its advanced hype. ( but I love the pony's).
    Just curious what others thought..

Great actors for a weekly ( Hoffman, Ferina, Nolte). 3 nice subplots going on. I can't wait for next week

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    The off topic board has been functioning for 3 years now...

Cmon people.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ruby2;4352275]The off topic board has been functioning for 3 years now...

Cmon people.[/QUOTE]

I'm just so sick of the Giants and Pats that I couldn't help myself..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Liked it, but had to go to Wikipedia because I didn't quite get the subplots at first. Too much partying back in the day, I guess.....
    Normally they use the entire first episode to fully explain who & what the main characters are. Without Wiki, I had no idea who Dustin was and where he was going to fit back in. I'm OK now. ;)

Love Dustin, Nick & the wheelchair guy as actors.

One complaint: the hispanic trainer's accent was too thick. Wife & I couldn't make out half of what he said.

How did they not catch that? :huh:

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I watched it four times last night....and I'm not even that into the story yet. It started off slow, but I'm more than willing to give shows a few weeks to set things up.

It is a beautiful show. If they're able to maintain that standard of production I'll watch every episode multiple times. The camerawork, the colors, the lighting: This is grade-A staring material.

I also like how the exposition is being handled. None of that "Hey, that's so-and-so. Here's a summarized version of his life story."

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Al Woodall Rocks!;4352312]Liked it, but had to go to Wikipedia because I didn't quite get the subplots at first. Too much partying back in the day, I guess.....
    Normally they use the entire first episode to fully explain who & what the main characters are. Without Wiki, I had no idea who Dustin was and where he was going to fit back in. I'm OK now. ;)

Love Dustin, Nick & the wheelchair guy as actors.

One complaint: the hispanic trainer's accent was too thick. Wife & I couldn't make out half of what he said.

How did they not catch that? :huh:[/QUOTE]

Who plays the wheelchair guy? Initially, I thought is was Dennis Franz but didn't see his name in the credits.

Also, the nervous/stuttering agent was excellent..

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=ctjetfan;4352363][B]Who plays the wheelchair guy?[/B] Initially, I thought is was Dennis Franz but didn't see his name in the credits.

Also, the nervous/stuttering agent was excellent..[/QUOTE]

Kevin Dunn. Great character actor from Chicago.

Thanks AGAIN to Wiki!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    So it's [I]Boardwalk Empire[/I] with hooves, is that correct?

SAR I

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I recorded the Luck episode titled "Pilot" in December. I see this one was titled "Pilot" as well. The DVR recorded it anyway which leads me to think it's different? Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Are the two episodes the same?

p.s. shouldn't this thread be over in the Hampur?

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    MOVE because it's not NFL etc

DUMP because you made people think it was a show about the Stanford QB

QED

MOVE TO THE DUMP

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Dcat;4352377]Hey, I recorded the Luck episode titled "Pilot" in December. I see this one was titled "Pilot" as well. The DVR recorded it anyway which leads me to think it's different? Haven't had a chance to check it out yet. Are the two episodes the same?

p.s. shouldn't this thread be over in the Hampur?[/QUOTE]

It's the same episode.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    put me to sleep immediately, that may have had something to do with the music, however after I woke up my wife and son said it sucked, lol

should I try watching again?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=SAR I;4352372]So it's [I]Boardwalk Empire[/I] with hooves, is that correct?

SAR I[/QUOTE]
    No.
    BE has real-life characters, in a historic era, which is a major difference.
    I guess Buscemi & Hoffman can be considered comparable but even that is too early to say.
    I do think you have to have some interest in the ponies to get the most out of it.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    The stuttering, nervous guy has got to go. Horrible acting imo, hes over doing it big time. They should have one of the horses run him over in the stable in the next episode. Michael Mann is a very good director, he should be able to get the most out of this cast. Having Hoffman as the lead is huge, the guy is still great and should be able to carry the show for at least the first season. Perfect role for Nolte, a drunk trainer that doesn't have to say much but his screen presence is effective. The jury is till out out on the rest of the cast.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    was out like a light 20 min in, going to rewatch, but seemed a bit slow and disjointed...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=jetswin;4352415]put me to sleep immediately, that may have had something to do with the music, however after I woke up my wife and son said it sucked, lol

should I try watching again?[/QUOTE]

Did you have milk and crackers before you watched it? That does it for me.