Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Draft Daddy Top 10s

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Draft Daddy Top 10s

http://bit.ly/wx0xiI

Thoughts:

Pierce over Miller at RB? I like Pierce alot too, but I think Miller is the more explosive player. I really would like any one of those first 4 or even 5 RBs. If the Jets do not buy Sanchez/the passing game as a playmaking unit yet, then might as well go old school OL + RB. Plus, this offense can use some speed/playmaking abilty wheever they can get it. If any one of those first 4 guys...well maybe a ronud later on Pierce...are around in the 3rd I think they're legit option for the Jets.

Jeffery at 7? Then again, I was fine with everyone but Jones, who I probably underrate anyway. I'm not as sure on Jones as I was on Nicks or Little.

I like Adams over Reiff, but only because Reiff is a little bit overrated anyway. Any guesses on what round Brandon Washington goes? I can't believe Konz is in this draft. If he came out next year he'd have Mangold status. As it is, he rivals DeCastro as the best interior OL talent in this draft. Chances Konz goes before DeCastro?

Chances the Jets have a shot at Nick Perry?

Cox over Brockers is interesting. I like the ranking if for no other reason than I don't think Brockers has the #1 DT spot locked down. He's still pretty raw even if he can be physically dominant. That's a guy who I'd call BPA at 16 if he was there, and would completely ignore need for because the upside is that high. Oh, and despite being from Penn State I like Devon Still alot. He's way more legit than Odrick. He kind of reminds me of one of my favorite players, Darnell Dockett. Crapton of upside in this DT class.

Gilmore over Jenkins? I think Jenkins is the better athlete.

How big do you think the gap is between Barron and the next best safety? I think it is surprisingly large...Like the biggest in the draft between positions large...Not sure I'd look at any of those other player until the late 3rd or more likely solidly in the 4th at the earliest....though I do like Taylor, Iloka, and Smith/Martin a little less.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I'm Indy, Konz is my pick to open the second round, get Luck some protection and work on defense next year.

Im going to be heartbroken if Ingram our Upshaw isn't out guy. There isn't a single other player that I like at 16. Decastro is a talent, but I don't think we need a guard at this point, we need OLBs and there are 2 of them that fit our defense perfectly. Lets hope we grab one.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    If I'm Indy, Konz is my pick to open the second round, get Luck some protection and work on defense next year.

Im going to be heartbroken if Ingram our Upshaw isn't out guy. There isn't a single other player that I like at 16. Decastro is a talent, but I don't think we need a guard at this point, we need OLBs and there are 2 of them that fit our defense perfectly. Lets hope we grab one.
    i don't think the jets will take a guard in the 1st. if they go OL it's to fix the RT position. i also can't see them taking a diva wr after what they've dealt with holmes and edwards. seems like it's a pass rusher or a RT, hopefully.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the link Much

RB Pierce no slant on Miller i just think Pierce is gonna be really really good.

WR Jeffrey he needs to run well. I suspect he will run like a tight end not a WR. he can go out there, run a 4.3 and shut me up.

OT Adams might be the best LT in this crop. It was all I could do to not put him over Kalil. Again I dont think these others are bad, just that Adams is better

OG Decastro goes 10 slots or so before Konz, probably in the teens.

DT Cox is a pass rushing force and Brockers, for all his potential, has 2 career sacks. the DT crop is extremely interesting and deep.

DE Perry i think is a perfect fit for Seattle. I dont think he fits the Jets defense. he's a projection to the 3-4. he's an instant starter in 4-3.

CB Jenkins is a great athlete. Hes a top 20 talent easily. its the off the field stuff. getting kicked out of Florida is a problem. That drops him to the late 2, early 3 area. I don't think that gets overlooked easily.

as for the safety crop it's at least a 1 round difference between Barron and next best safety. maybe more. that being said I don't know if Barron is worth the 16 pick. he's not Ed Reed.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

O p

The Colts would get lucky...Baltimore...NY....NE...GB...etc...NO...the y could all use a Konz. That would be a pretty sick way to get on track as a franchise though...Luck and the best C prospect since Mangold.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-31-2012 at 11:13 AM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    The Colts would get lucky...Baltimore...NY....NE...GB...etc...NO...the y could all use a Konz. That would be a pretty sick way to get on track as a franchise though...Luck and the best C prospect since Mangold.
    The Giants would be a great fit for him, I didn't think about them.

GB and Balt really need to retool their defenses with their first round picks.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    thanks for the link Much

RB Pierce no slant on Miller i just think Pierce is gonna be really really good.

WR Jeffrey he needs to run well. I suspect he will run like a tight end not a WR. he can go out there, run a 4.3 and shut me up.

OT Adams might be the best LT in this crop. It was all I could do to not put him over Kalil. Again I dont think these others are bad, just that Adams is better

OG Decastro goes 10 slots or so before Konz, probably in the teens.

DT Cox is a pass rushing force and Brockers, for all his potential, has 2 career sacks. the DT crop is extremely interesting and deep.

DE Perry i think is a perfect fit for Seattle. I dont think he fits the Jets defense. he's a projection to the 3-4. he's an instant starter in 4-3.

CB Jenkins is a great athlete. Hes a top 20 talent easily. its the off the field stuff. getting kicked out of Florida is a problem. That drops him to the late 2, early 3 area. I don't think that gets overlooked easily.

as for the safety crop it's at least a 1 round difference between Barron and next best safety. maybe more. that being said I don't know if Barron is worth the 16 pick. he's not Ed Reed.
    I don't want Barron either. I think we can find one veteran safety in FA and then look at Iloka in the second round, even if its a little "early". Getting someone with that size would really help out our defense in covering these taller tight ends.

Seems like we can to RT in the 3rd even with Datko or Adcock. Fill 3 needs with young players that hopefully are all ready in year 1.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like we can to RT in the 3rd even with Datko or Adcock. Fill 3 needs with young players that hopefully are all ready in year 1.
    I agree the Jets should look for OLB upshaw and ingram but if those players are gone gotta fix the RT problem. Datko is hurt bad and Adcock is hurt mildly. Neither are sure bets to help at all, let alone right away. Glenn or Adams are instant starters.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree the Jets should look for OLB upshaw and ingram but if those players are gone gotta fix the RT problem. Datko is hurt bad and Adcock is hurt mildly. Neither are sure bets to help at all, let alone right away. Glenn or Adams are instant starters.
    Datko is his shoulder I think? Will he not be ready for training camp?

What happened to Adcock?

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the link Much
    Why doesn't he fit the Jets D? I think I've asked you this before but didn't really get a response. What's so scary about converts? The vast majority of the DE/OLBs in the league are DE converts. Two I can think of were college LBs, one an extra large ILB/OLB and the other was a far more explosive athlete than Ingram/Upshaw. What makes the conversion suddenly such a fearful process?

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    What makes the conversion suddenly such a fearful process?
    two words Vernon Gholston

the draft is not about what you or I would do. Its about what Mike tannenbaum will do.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Datko is his shoulder I think? Will he not be ready for training camp?

What happened to Adcock?
    datko was asking for an extra year of elig from NCAA, that's a terrible sign for his health

adcock missed the Senior Bowl with a knee. I don't think either are top 100 players right now.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    two words Vernon Gholston

the draft is not about what you or I would do. Its about what Mike tannenbaum will do.
    And your guess is that Mike Tannenbaum will live in fear of a Gholston for the rest of his tenure here? Why? Just because? What if Upshaw/Ingram are a Gholston in the making?

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Weak as hell to have Alshon Jeffrey that low just because you suspect he will run slow......he was running the same "slow" time as he abused SEC secondaries week after week throughout his career.....how was he such a deep threat in college? When's the last time a dominant SEC player completely busted in the NFL, because that's what Alshon was

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    And your guess is that Mike Tannenbaum will live in fear of a Gholston for the rest of his tenure here? Why? Just because?
    He's an accountant and a numbers man. the statistics on converting DE to OLB are not good. You can point to Suggs and Ware, i can point to dozens of others who failed.

What if Upshaw/Ingram are a Gholston in the making?
    Well you bring up a good point. It's possible that these players are also too risky for Tanny. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they draft a tackle and let OLB be a late round/UDFA situation again. It's where they found maybin, westerman and McIntyre.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by King Koopa View Post
    Weak as hell to have Alshon Jeffrey that low just because you suspect he will run slow......he was running the same "slow" time as he abused SEC secondaries week after week throughout his career.....how was he such a deep threat in college? When's the last time a dominant SEC player completely busted in the NFL, because that's what Alshon was
    I didn't say Jeffery stunk or will bust. I just like other players on that list more. I wonder what kind of shape he's in. That can change.

He's a better Tory Gurley until proven otherwise. And that's ok the world needs practice squad players too.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    He's an accountant and a numbers man. the statistics on converting DE to OLB are not good. You can point to Suggs and Ware, i can point to dozens of others who failed.

Well you bring up a good point. It's possible that these players are also too risky for Tanny. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they draft a tackle and let OLB be a late round/UDFA situation again. It's where they found maybin, westerman and McIntyre.
    or they may wait until the 3rd round to take a hybrid where the consequences of failure are less. if they can address OL and either S or WR in the first 2 rounds and get 2 starters, then the 'experiment' of converting Des to olbs is risking a 3rd or 4th rounder rather than a 1st. of course, they could use more 4-3 looks and take someone like mercilus and have him fly off the edge every play like abraham used to do.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    http://bit.ly/wx0xiI

Jeffery at 7? Then again, I was fine with everyone but Jones, who I probably underrate anyway. I'm not as sure on Jones as I was on Nicks or Little.
    I've watched every UNC game since Hakeem Nicks was a senior in high school. Dwight Jones is definitely better than Greg Little. Out of the recent UNC WRs, it's Nicks >> Jones > Little >>> Tate

Jones might have some issues with drops like Little has shown, but Jones has shown the ability to make absolutely jaw dropping catches with his large catching radius like Nicks showed during his time at UNC. He's a great "jump ball" receiver, always shielding away the defender from getting an opportunity to make a play on the ball. His skillset is like a poor man's AJ Green. Jones won't run as good of a 40 time as AJ Green (hence the poor man's remark), but they've shown a consistent knack to make plays down the field, even if it appears as if he is covered.

Little was never really known for making plays down the field or outside the numbers. Even if you consider Jones/Little to be similarly talented, I'll take the guy who can make plays deep over the guy who goes short and looks for YAC, especially if we are looking for a complement to Holmes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-2kVzXp4Ys
    Last edited by Rexipus Rex; 01-31-2012 at 02:33 PM.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't say Jeffery stunk or will bust. I just like other players on that list more. I wonder what kind of shape he's in. That can change.

He's a better Tory Gurley until proven otherwise. And that's ok the world needs practice squad players too.
    You've said this before and it's a joke

He's a better tori gurley the same way Aaron Rodgers is a better mark sanchez

I like most of your other rankings though......showing love for my boy Gilmore

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

1 - Quick name a few that aren't Gholston...I don't doubt that there's plenty of them.

2 - What ARE the statistics anyway?

3 - Can the statistics explain why the vast majority of 3-4 OLBs in the pros are college DE converts? Why do you insist our GM has to live in fear for failing with one guy when that's the conversion that has worked for pretty much any and everyone else running a 3-4? I simply don't get your train of thought here.

4 - So to avoid all risk at the position, aim for the Maybins/Westermans/McIntyres of the world? Pass.

I don't mind using a 2nd or 3rd on the position, so long as they land one of:

Curry
    Massaqoui
    Johnson (Virginia)
    Chandler Jones
    Irvin (Maybe)
    Lewis (Okla, maybe)
    McClellin

with the pick...possibly someone else, but this is a short list for now.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 01-31-2012 at 02:47 PM.