Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Draft Daddy Top 10s

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    I've watched every UNC game since Hakeem Nicks was a senior in high school. Dwight Jones is definitely better than Greg Little. Out of the recent UNC WRs, it's Nicks >> Jones > Little >>> Tate

Jones might have some issues with drops like Little has shown, but Jones has shown the ability to make absolutely jaw dropping catches with his large catching radius like Nicks showed during his time at UNC. He's a great "jump ball" receiver, always shielding away the defender from getting an opportunity to make a play on the ball. His skillset is like a poor man's AJ Green. Jones won't run as good of a 40 time as AJ Green (hence the poor man's remark), but they've shown a consistent knack to make plays down the field, even if it appears as if he is covered.

Little was never really known for making plays down the field or outside the numbers. Even if you consider Jones/Little to be similarly talented, I'll take the guy who can make plays deep over the guy who goes short and looks for YAC, especially if we are looking for a complement to Holmes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-2kVzXp4Ys
    I like Jones as a downfield threat...but otherwise he's got to develop a little...I'd say he's a 4th rounder with the potential to go a round or (longshot) two higher due to his possible size/speed combo.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    I like Jones as a downfield threat...but otherwise he's got to develop a little...I'd say he's a 4th rounder with the potential to go a round or (longshot) two higher due to his possible size/speed combo.
    Well, Greg Little was a late second round pick (59th overall). He certainly helped his stock in offseason activity, but the point remains he was still suspended for his entire senior season. Unless the experts believe Jones is a far worse prospect than Little (not likely), then I disagree with your assessment.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexipus Rex View Post
    Well, Greg Little was a late second round pick (59th overall). He certainly helped his stock in offseason activity, but the point remains he was still suspended for his entire senior season. Unless the experts believe Jones is a far worse prospect than Little (not likely), then I disagree with your assessment.
    Hm I thought Little went later. I'll hop on the wagon later.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not a lot of complaint but here are some comments.

QB - this is just a good class hard to say any one of these guys dont deserve top ten honors. I really like Aaron Corp though and could find a way to fit him in there. I still need to look at tape of Brock. I'm falling behind this year.

RB - I'd say 2-4 are interchangeable depending on what you are looking for. I think Miller is the easy 2 but I've seen Polk, Peirce and Wilson all before him by some pretty smart guys. Polk should definitely be higher.

OL - Zobrie seems a bit low to me. That guy has a great upside. I actually have him as the 4th OT. He is a beast and is pretty much a blank slate to work with. I think he is a late 1st rounder.

DE - I love Irvin but he is just a tad small for a DE. As a LB yeah as a DE there are a few others I'd take before him. Seem to be missing Billy Winn as well. He really should be top ten.

DT - I just want to say I actually like this DT rankings better then my own. I've seen too many people putting Poe in the 1st. I just don't think he is worth it.

OLB - Upshaw is too high IMO. I just can't see him as the 1st OLB off the board. He is just not the physical specimen you'd like in a 1st round OLB. I'm not saying he is not 1st round quality but I don't think he is top 10 pick either.

S- I'm actually OK with what you put I'm just higher on Allen then that.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    I really like Aaron Corp though and could find a way to fit him in there.

OL - Zobrie seems a bit low to me.

OLB - Upshaw is too high IMO. I just can't see him as the 1st OLB off the board. He is just not the physical specimen you'd like in a 1st round OLB.

Corp is actually playing in something called the Players All-Star Classic this week (Game on Saturday afternoon, comcast). It's a decent roster of talent. I agree he could crack the top 10 with a good showing. He's got talent.

Zebrie Sanders had a bad week in Mobile. He showed up a late 1 he left a late 2 or beyond. He was just on the turf too much. Got beat alot by good South DE. He's a developmental tackle. You could take him and hope he learns balance and technique that matches his agility. But it could take seasons. It might not happen.

meanwhile Mitchell Schwartz stood up to Coples and Upshaw how do I put him below Sanders? on athletic potential? I just couldn't do it.

Upshaw I think people underrate his athleticism. He's not going to run a 4.4 40 but he's going to be real good in the 3-cone and vert. He's got short area quickness. a legit 270 and moves like he's 240. We could say the same about Ingram. Don't see guys like that every year. Meanwhile Zach Brown is running 4.4 but he doesn't make any impact plays.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    And your guess is that Mike Tannenbaum will live in fear of a Gholston for the rest of his tenure here? Why? Just because? What if Upshaw/Ingram are a Gholston in the making?
    Did I miss when Saban switched Alabama to a 4-3 defense and Upshaw played end? He played OLB standing up on 1st and 2nd down and then with his hand on the ground on passing downs.....EXACTLY what we would want him to do with us.

Ingram played more DE, but also played a TON more then gholston standing up, is still athletic enough to have made INTs this year, returned kicks in his career, and take a fake punt 60+ yards. The guy is more then athletic to play 3-4 OLB in our scheme

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Did I miss when Saban switched Alabama to a 4-3 defense and Upshaw played end? He played OLB standing up on 1st and 2nd down and then with his hand on the ground on passing downs.....EXACTLY what we would want him to do with us.

Ingram played more DE, but also played a TON more then gholston standing up, is still athletic enough to have made INTs this year, returned kicks in his career, and take a fake punt 60+ yards. The guy is more then athletic to play 3-4 OLB in our scheme
    yeah if anyone Perry scares me with Gholston like potential as a OLB.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, as far as conversions, I think with the increase in hybrid defensive schemes in college, the transition is easier for DE/OLBs.

Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Brooks Reed, Kerrigan, and Jabaal Sheard all played hybrid OLB/DE positions in the pros and were successful their first year.

I can't see Ingram or Upshaw struggling with the transition.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like

Ingram would be beastly in green and white

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, as far as conversions, I think with the increase in hybrid defensive schemes in college, the transition is easier for DE/OLBs.

Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Brooks Reed, Kerrigan, and Jabaal Sheard all played hybrid OLB/DE positions in the pros and were successful their first year.

I can't see Ingram or Upshaw struggling with the transition.
    Wait wait wait wait....Pretty much all of those guys save Miller were college DEs...but Ingram/Upshaw are the ones exonerated of worry?

I don't get it.