Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: NASA: Global Warming caused Mostly by Humans

[QUOTE=bitonti;4353807]the denier "science" is funded by XOM and BP. Publically traded multi-national corporations. the humans cause climate change is funded by universities, nasa etc. Academics.

who do you think has more of a profit motive?

that link from the daily mail is laughable. it's like getting your science from the NY post.[/QUOTE]

The extreme right is so quick to dismiss concern for man-made global warming as a way for liberals to get more government control
    and they will point to various conspiracy theories that highlight companies and people that stand to profit.

[B]However[/B]

They fail to turn that high powered skepticism towards the oil companies who have spent hundreds of millions of dollars on a media add campaign to alter peoples opinion in the other direction.

Its much like the conservative pundits like Charles Krauthammer who are extremely outspoken about presidential overreach in 2012 but lost their voices on the subject from 2001-2008 :rolleyes:
    Last edited by intelligentjetsfan; 02-01-2012 at 07:41 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4354144]

Its much like the conservative pundits like Charles Krauthammer who are extremely outspoken about presidential overreach in 2012 but lost their voices on the subject from 2001-2008 :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

prolly cuz the "presidential overreach" meter blew up after Obuttocks took over.

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4354144]The extreme right is so quick to dismiss concern for man-made global warming as a way for liberals to get more government control
    and they will point to various conspiracy theories that highlight companies and people that stand to profit.

[B]However[/B]

They fail to turn that high powered skepticism towards the oil companies who have spent hundreds of millions of dollars on a media add campaign to alter peoples opinion in the other direction.

Its much like the conservative pundits like Charles Krauthammer who are extremely outspoken about presidential overreach in 2012 but lost their voices on the subject from 2001-2008 :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

TLDR: They're [B][U]Bitonti'izing[/U][/B] (Beh-ton-tee-eye-sing), intrasitive verb. In political discourse, when you support or maintain silence when it's "your guy" doing horrible things, but express outspoken anger and protest when it's the "other side". Made famous by the direct 180 degree flip-flopping positions of one "Bitonti" on the Jets Insider Forum circa 2000-1012.

Synonym: Standard Issue Politics.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4354196]TLDR: They're [B][U]Bitonti'izing[/U][/B] (Beh-ton-tee-eye-sing), intrasitive verb. In political discourse, when you support or maintain silence when it's "your guy" doing horrible things, but express outspoken anger and protest when it's the "other side". Made famous by the direct 180 degree flip-flopping positions of one "Bitonti" on the Jets Insider Forum circa 2000-1012.

Synonym: Standard Issue Politics.[/QUOTE]

very funny, fish :D

[QUOTE=intelligentjetsfan;4354199]very funny, fish :D[/QUOTE]

As we used to say on the baseball field, even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

NASA Government Sponsored Science!

All League
    East of the Jordan, West of the Rock of Gibraltar
    [QUOTE=MnJetFan;4354429]NASA Government Sponsored Science![/QUOTE]

Just like Cell Phones and the internet.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4353586]science![/QUOTE]

Soooooo...do we know who went to Triton and caused global warming there?

Its right next to Uranus, you know.... :alien:

Jets Insider VIP
    [IMG]http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/403835_314540041914443_160258774009238_815355_901345848_n.jpg[/IMG]

I love how politicized science has become, I mean, this should not be an issue that sides draw a line in the sand.

It's science right? research, research research?? right?

or do we just listen to whatever D and R tell us instead?

it exists! it doesn't exist!

can't wait til we have a cure for cancer..it works..it doesn't work! cancer is bad! cancer is good! what did the talking head on tv tell me to think about it.

[QUOTE=Warfish;4354196]TLDR: They're [B][U]Bitonti'izing[/U][/B] (Beh-ton-tee-eye-sing), intrasitive verb. In political discourse, when you support or maintain silence when it's "your guy" doing horrible things, but express outspoken anger and protest when it's the "other side". Made famous by the direct 180 degree flip-flopping positions of one "Bitonti" on the Jets Insider Forum circa 2000-1012.

Synonym: Standard Issue Politics.[/QUOTE]

warfish serious question, Have I Changed my opinion of global warming?

btw consistency tests are source attacks.

it's a cheap way to change the subject.

It's way easier to attack a source than to address the issue.

I'd rather be a flip flopper than a source attacker. That's the lowest form of debate. this is a message board for wonks we should be talking about issues not bringing up DRob or Iraq or whatever. that's old news. (I have engaged in this practice but it is distasteful, another flip for ya)

of course, the only reason any1 can hold a consistency test against me (or you) is because we have the decency to stay with the same usernames. there are others who are old timers and stick with it and i salute you all (including Warfish who wants to turn my name into a Verb).

but how is it these people, who have 1 account, get all the flack for flips over 5, 7 10+ year track records... meanwhile there's no accountability on the internet for the guys who use multiple accounts.

I guess that's their right to do it but it's bull...

[QUOTE=piney;4355022]I love how politicized science has become, I mean, this should not be an issue that sides draw a line in the sand.

It's science right? research, research research?? right?

can't wait til we have a cure for cancer..it works..it doesn't work! .[/QUOTE]

[url]http://cupertino.patch.com/articles/whiz-kid-of-the-week-angela-zhang-cancer-buster[/url]

there is no politics in pure science. that much is true. the problem is there is very little "pure" science. It's all applied more or less.

the right wing deniers attack global warming for being all political that's like a dirty man claiming everyone needs a bath.

cmon people it's 60 friggin degrees out and it's Feb 1. meanwhile somewhere else (alaska, croatia) it's negative 40 friggin degrees out.

ya don't need to be NASA scientist to figure it out.

All League
    I've flipped on several positions in the last 5 years, the death penalty, gay marriage, solar power, etc.

Nothing wrong with

[QUOTE=bitonti;4353586]A new NASA study tries to lay to rest the skepticism about climate change, especially vocal this year on the GOP presidential campaign trail. It finds, like other major scientific research, that greenhouse gases generated by human activities -- not changes in solar activity -- are the primary cause of global warming.

NASA researchers updated calculations of the Earth's energy imbalance, which is the difference between the amount of solar energy absorbed by the Earth's surface and the amount returned to space as heat. They found that despite unusually low solar activity between 2005 and 2010, the planet continued to absorb more energy (half a watt more per square meter) than it returned to space during that time period.

"This provides unequivocal evidence that the sun is not the dominant driver of global warming," said James Hansen, director of NASA's Goddard Institute for Space Studies, who led the research released Monday.

[url]http://content.usatoday.com/communit...ly-by-humans/1[/url][/QUOTE]

[url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2097779/Europe-weather-Snow-covers-continent-temperatures-plunge-MINUS-40C.html[/url]

[QUOTE]Ice age Europe: How the big freeze, with temperatures as low as MINUS 40, has turned Britain and the continent BLUE
    Hundreds of Eastern European villages cut off as temperatures plummet to -40C
    Melting snow causes dam wall to break and flood entire village in southern Bulgaria, killing four
    European crisis commissioner says 'the worst is yet to come'
    By LEE MORAN
    Last updated at 11:24 AM on 9th February 2012
    Comments (281)

Europe continues to be blanketed in snow as the cold snap which has so far killed hundreds across the continent shows no signs of stopping.
    Hundreds of villages across Eastern Europe were today completely cut off as temperatures plummeted in some places to -40C.
    Rescue teams struggled to evacuate southern Bulgarians where villages flooded after rain and melting snow broke damn walls.

Read more: [url]http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2097779/Europe-weather-Snow-covers-continent-temperatures-plunge-MINUS-40C.html#ixzz1ltb2VwWO[/url]

Residents were also warned that there was more snow to come - which would be followed by severe floods when the temperature finally starts to rise and the snow melts.
    Meanwhile temperatures in Britain are due to plummet to as low as -13C, with the big freeze due to last well into the weekend.

Around 146 towns and villages in Romania were isolated with no road or train connections because of blizzards.
    Up to 174 villages had no electricity, said Alin Maghiar, spokeman for Romania's emergency department.
    Electricity was also cut off to 300 towns and villages in Bulgaria, roads were closed and several border checkpoints with Romania and Turkey were shut, the Interior Ministry said.

[IMG]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/02/07/article-2097779-11A0B961000005DC-846_964x582.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/02/08/article-2097779-11A29A74000005DC-653_964x1021.jpg[/IMG]

[/QUOTE]

Global Warming... AHHHHHH We're all goiing to die!!!!! :rolleyes:

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=bitonti;4355066][URL]http://cupertino.patch.com/articles/whiz-kid-of-the-week-angela-zhang-cancer-buster[/URL]

there is no politics in pure science. that much is true. the problem is there is very little "pure" science. It's all applied more or less.

the right wing deniers attack global warming for being all political that's like a dirty man claiming everyone needs a bath.
    [B]
    cmon people it's 60 friggin degrees out and it's Feb 1. meanwhile somewhere else (alaska, croatia) it's negative 40 friggin degrees out. [/B]

ya don't need to be NASA scientist to figure it out.[/QUOTE]

We are here again? Seriously? What exactly does a warm day in February in the NE of the US tell us? Does it mean that we are experiencing global warming? BTW, 2 days later and it is cold as hell and I am scrapping my windows again.

What do the -80+ degree days in Alaska tell us?

The answer is they tell us nothing! That is weather, not climate. It is local not global.

As DPF says above Europe is in a deep freeze, Alaska is in a deep freeze. It is a cold winter for them. Until you calculate that into that great global temp (which I think is pretty meaningless in the first place) and compare it to real data, not fudged or "corrected" data to make things look better for the cause, can you really start to build a theory. Supposedly the data currently shows that temps haven't risen for 10 years. Sounds like it could be the beginning of a trend or might just be a lull or might even be the beginning of a decline.

The thing we do know is that the science has been politicized, perverted and lied about by both sides. There is no way I would devote a dollar to this cause since there is no way to know if it is real and even the best models aren't accurate. On top of that all of the "solutions" are to move money around the world which definitely won't help and even if we do reduce carbon dioxide emissions the anticipated changes are marginal.

Practice Squad
    [QUOTE=Warfish;4353739]and to facilitate "prepaid reparation" style global redistribution of wealth from the "rich, dirty" U.S. to the "poor, innocent" third world, to help them for climate change damage we (the U.S.) supposedly have caused.
    [/QUOTE]

I thought it was the third world nations like India and China that are fighting global environment laws. They say they want to develop their economies with the same "freedoms" that our predecessors developed ours. You have it backwards.

I was recently in India. Man what a dirty place. I felt like I was smoking just walking around. The whole city, Delhi, smelled like campfire and smoke hung over the city. Major air quality issues there.

[QUOTE=gunnails;4353816]
    On aside, I have found that locally where I live my life, the air is cleaner as is the water and the overall littering/dumping is less then it was in my youth.

Point is there are steps in place to protect the environment, and IMHO things have gotten better then they were 40 years ago.[/QUOTE]

When I got back to the US, I was driving through the Bronx a few days later on the Major Deegan. I lowered my window and took a nice deep breath, "ahhh". Fresh Air. I tell people this, about how clean things are here by comparison to place like India, or by comparison to what NYC may have been like 50 years ago, and say I never want to hear anyone say that NYC is dirty again. A person that says NYC is gross has just proven to me that they have not travelled far. We can still be cleaner but we sure ain't dirty.

But things didn't clean up on their own. It took education or laws and enforcement to make it that way.

I am sure Europe, Russia and Alaska would love some Global Warming right now. Rivers freezing over, people dying from the cold, 16 feet of snow in Alaska and oil being brought in from Russia to help Alaskan cities running out of fuel.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=majormajor42;4365624]When I got back to the US, I was driving through the Bronx a few days later on the Major Deegan. I lowered my window and took a nice deep breath, "ahhh". Fresh Air. [/QUOTE]

LOL.

Nothing like the smell of the morning dew on the Major Deegan.

Jets Insider VIP
    [QUOTE=majormajor42;4365624][B]I thought it was the third world nations like India and China that are fighting global environment laws. They say they want to develop their economies with the same "freedoms" that our predecessors developed ours. You have it backwards.[/B]

I was recently in India. Man what a dirty place. I felt like I was smoking just walking around. The whole city, Delhi, smelled like campfire and smoke hung over the city. Major air quality issues there.

When I got back to the US, I was driving through the Bronx a few days later on the Major Deegan. I lowered my window and took a nice deep breath, "ahhh". Fresh Air. I tell people this, about how clean things are here by comparison to place like India, or by comparison to what NYC may have been like 50 years ago, and say I never want to hear anyone say that NYC is dirty again. A person that says NYC is gross has just proven to me that they have not travelled far. We can still be cleaner but we sure ain't dirty.

But things didn't clean up on their own. It took education or laws and enforcement to make it that way.[/QUOTE]

They are fighting the laws. What they are doing is saying the US should have to curtail our economy and way of life for their benefit and that they shouldn't have to live under the same rules because they are "developing nations". It is a crock of **** money grab. Period.

15 feet of global warming fell on Cordova, Alaska last month..... :rolleyes:

[IMG]http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos/2012/01/09/National-Guard-digs-Alaska-town-out-from-snows-8KQHLQV-x-large.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imwx.com/web/news/2012/january/Cordova_AK_LO_1_600x405.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://ydtalk.com/jdispatch/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Buried-in-Snow_Simc.jpg[/IMG]

But you liberals keep right on lapping up the sh*t Al(fraud)Gore is spewing as he laughs all the way to the bank....

PS.

Thanks to you fools, he's a one percenter....