Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Interesting Shonn Greene Stat from PFF

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4355619]
    Eventually, Tannenbaum caved, trusting his inner circle. This, his lieutenants assured him, would be like picking a first-rounder in the third round.

[URL]http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-01-22/sports/17945644_1_jets-draft-board-terry-bradway-scouting/2[/URL][/QUOTE]

And instead, we got great value in the 3rd round...

It is what it is.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Get Mike Tolbert in FA..he'll get average money n he can catch

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    More on greene
    @TurnOnTheJets 47th HB, low numbers in most areas

More rbs around league

Least elusive back in football this year? Go on, you all know who it was... Say it together people... Thomas Jones!

Jones touched the ball 158 times, forced 5 missed tackles. LeGarrette Blount broke that many on a single play

On Peyton Hillis
    @the_blueprint He did. 4 spots better than Jones

Of HBs with more than 100 carries. Thomas Jones forced a MT once every 38.3 carries. Next poorest mark? Every 13.4 from P Hillis

To see the whole list your gonna have to subscribe to there website
    http://www.profootballfocus.com/
    Last edited by Scoop24; 02-02-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Board Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
    No surprise, he's built like a power runner, but doesn't run like one. Very average at everything.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE]The Jets were so high on Greene that he could've been their first pick. If they hadn't pulled off the Sanchez trade, they would've strongly considered trading down from No. 17 - and Greene was one of the players they would've targeted somewhere in the 20 to 25 range.
    [/QUOTE]

Our scouting dept is a problem if they thought Greene was a 1st round talent.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Joe W. Namath;4355657]Our scouting dept is a problem if they thought Greene was a 1st round talent.[/QUOTE]

Well I think we have to understand something, at IOWA he had a pretty good senior year. We saw flashes of what he could do in the playoffs in his rookie year, guy showed breakaway speed...I can live with Shonne Green as part of the RB rotation. I don't think we get killed with him if other parts of the offense are working as well.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    So much hate for a guy who averaged 4.2 a carry, and ran for a thousand yards behind an offensive line that was ****. Greene is not our problem, far from it. We need someone who can compliment him, sure. But the hate is a little ridiculous.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;4355683]So much hate for a guy who averaged 4.2 a carry, and ran for a thousand yards behind an offensive line that was ****. Greene is not our problem, far from it. We need someone who can compliment him, sure. But the hate is a little ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Mike Tolbert or LaMichael James

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Greene is a very inconsistent player looking like a million dollars for about 5 games a year, being adequate for about 8 and looking bad for about 3. If he played at his top level more often he'd be a great back but he doesn't.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm kinda hoping Trent Richardson falls to us in the draft.

Richardson & Greene would make a good 1-2 punch

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4355619]Anthony Lynn, the RBs coach, was the one that touted him before the draft.

The Jets were so high on Greene that he could've been their first pick. If they hadn't pulled off the Sanchez trade, they would've strongly considered trading down from No. 17 - and Greene was one of the players they would've targeted somewhere in the 20 to 25 range.

[I]"A classic North-South runner with nimble feet. ... He's not a burner, but he can quickly get to top speed and maintain it. ... This young man showed great perseverance by sitting out a year, unloading trucks at a furniture store while attending classes at a community college at his own expense. ... He's a potential first-year starter and will contribute as a rookie. I believe he is the best back in the draft for the Jets."[/I] - From the scouting report of Anthony Lynn, running backs coach

Ryan liked Greene. So did Lynn, who also lobbied hard.

"At that point, if we wanted a difference maker, that was our last shot," Lynn says now. "I really felt like he was the No. 1 back in the draft for us."

Eventually, Tannenbaum caved, trusting his inner circle. This, his lieutenants assured him, would be like picking a first-rounder in the third round.

[URL]http://articles.nydailynews.com/2010-01-22/sports/17945644_1_jets-draft-board-terry-bradway-scouting/2[/URL][/QUOTE]

As always, thanks for the elucidation, C Mart. Okay, Lynn's an idiot, too. :D

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4355619]Anthony Lynn, the RBs coach, was the one that touted him before the draft.

The Jets were so high on Greene that he could've been their first pick. If they hadn't pulled off the Sanchez trade, they would've strongly considered trading down from No. 17 - and Greene was one of the players they would've targeted somewhere in the 20 to 25 range.

[I]"A classic North-South runner with nimble feet. ... He's not a burner, but he can quickly get to top speed and maintain it. ... This young man showed great perseverance by sitting out a year, unloading trucks at a furniture store while attending classes at a community college at his own expense. ... He's a potential first-year starter and will contribute as a rookie. I believe he is the best back in the draft for the Jets."[/I] - From the scouting report of Anthony Lynn, running backs coach

Ryan liked Greene. So did Lynn, who also lobbied hard.

"At that point, if we wanted a difference maker, that was our last shot," Lynn says now. "I really felt like he was the No. 1 back in the draft for us."

were these the same guys urging tanny to draft ducasse?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Apache 51;4355577]Ground and Pound not Ground and Juke.[/QUOTE]

The pound in ground and pound is the D. It means beating a team by the ground attack and pound them with your D.:yes:

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Ven0m;4355683]So much hate for a guy who averaged 4.2 a carry, and ran for a thousand yards behind an offensive line that was ****. Greene is not our problem, far from it. We need someone who can compliment him, sure. But the hate is a little ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

And cost us a 3rd. No matter who writes that they may have picked him in whatever round.

Ultimately he was a 3rd round pick. No amount of guesswork and rumor can change that.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Panther;4355466]I have had this arguement all season long with friends the O-line opened holes that Greene couldnt take advantage of he would get to the second level and just go down on 1st contact if we add a shifty back there are big plays to be made.[/QUOTE]

Where were all these holes Shonn Greene had to run through? It's funny because no one else saw them all season long including me.

[B]Hunter sucked and was a downgrade from Woody.

Conner sucked and was a downgrade from T-Rich.

Nick Mangold was injured for a significant chunk of the season so we couldn't run it effectively between the tackles while he was gone.

Everyone knew when the Jets were running it because Shotty was the most predictable playcaller in the NFL don't take it from me Ladainian Tomlinson and other players have said so.

Even when we were running it effectively like in the Giants game Schotty got away from running the ball and all of a sudden wanted to just throw.[/B]
    Last edited by detjetsfan; 02-02-2012 at 02:07 PM.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't agree with you on much but I'm with you on this. Our offense has way bigger issues than Shonn Greene. And considering the fact that we almost made it to two Super Bowls with Shonn Greene as our featured back in the playoffs I'm not too anxious about giving up on him because he couldn't have a 1,500 yard season behind our crappy O-line and horrible playcalling.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4355771]were these the same guys urging tanny to draft ducasse?[/QUOTE]

Most draft sites had Ducasse going were he was taken

[URL]http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=85558&draftyear=2010&genpos=[/URL]

[URL]http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/3/19/1381472/vladimir-ducasse-nfl-draft[/URL]

CBNY had him alittle lower (remember Jets didn't have a 3rd rounder in '10)
    [URL]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2010/draft/players/56957.html[/URL]

[URL="http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2010/02/23/mayock-discusses-local-nfl-prospects/"]Mayock discusses local NFL prospects[/URL]
    “We mentioned Vladimir Ducasse from UMass, who some people have in the first round. I have him in the second round. And then there are some teams out there who thinks he’s too far away as a starter and have him in the third or fourth round. But he’s an exciting player, born in Haiti, plays his football at UMass.

[URL]http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/tag/vladimir-ducasse/[/URL]

and many other comments here....including Gil Brandt

[B]03/30/2010[/B] - PRO DAY RESULTS: It's rare for someone to learn about football in high school and a few years later become an elite pro prospect, and it's even rarer for someone garnering first-round consideration to come from UMass. Well, OT Vladimir Ducasse has managed to do both. The 6-foot-4 5/8, 331 pounder is likely to go in the second round, or perhaps even late in the first round, and is well on his way to bucking the odds for someone with his limited football background. At the Minutemen's pro day, which was held on March 25 outdoors on FieldTurf, Ducasse had a 27-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot, 8-inch broad jump, a 4.72-second short shuttle, a 7.87-second three-cone drill and did 28 bench press repetitions at 225 pounds. He stood on his NFL Scouting Combine time in the 40-yard dash. He worked out for the Raiders individually the day before the pro day. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1251194[/URL]
    Last edited by C Mart; 02-02-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    It was a rough year for Greene because the passing game and OL was crap and defenses could predict the run. He should get a mulligan and start fresh(just like Sanchez) with Sparano.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=C Mart;4355828]Most draft sites had Ducasse going were he was taken

[URL]http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=85558&draftyear=2010&genpos=[/URL]

[URL]http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/3/19/1381472/vladimir-ducasse-nfl-draft[/URL]

CBNY had him alittle lower (remember Jets didn't have a 3rd rounder in '10)
    [URL]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2010/draft/players/56957.html[/URL]

[URL="http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/2010/02/23/mayock-discusses-local-nfl-prospects/"]Mayock discusses local NFL prospects[/URL]
    We mentioned Vladimir Ducasse from UMass, who some people have in the first round. I have him in the second round. And then there are some teams out there who thinks hes too far away as a starter and have him in the third or fourth round. But hes an exciting player, born in Haiti, plays his football at UMass.

[URL]http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/newengland/football/patriots/tag/vladimir-ducasse/[/URL]

and many other comments here....including Gil Brandt

[B]03/30/2010[/B] - PRO DAY RESULTS: It's rare for someone to learn about football in high school and a few years later become an elite pro prospect, and it's even rarer for someone garnering first-round consideration to come from UMass. Well, OT Vladimir Ducasse has managed to do both. The 6-foot-4 5/8, 331 pounder is likely to go in the second round, or perhaps even late in the first round, and is well on his way to bucking the odds for someone with his limited football background. At the Minutemen's pro day, which was held on March 25 outdoors on FieldTurf, Ducasse had a 27-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot, 8-inch broad jump, a 4.72-second short shuttle, a 7.87-second three-cone drill and did 28 bench press repetitions at 225 pounds. He stood on his NFL Scouting Combine time in the 40-yard dash. He worked out for the Raiders individually the day before the pro day. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

[URL]http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/archive/1251194[/URL][/QUOTE]

i think the problem with drafting ducasse in the 2nd is that he really needed 3 yrs to grow into the nfl and you can't afford to use a 2nd rounder on that type of developmental guy unless you're NE and you draft a qb to sit behind brady.

for a team that tends to trade up and burn picks, then turn around and draft a guy who needed years of coaching to not get his qb killed was a poor decision by tanny.

i'm at the point in this draft where i don't care which positions they take in which rounds, as long as they get clear-cut starters with their first 3 picks. whether its ingram or a RT or wr or olbs or S, they can't draft guys with the intention of sitting them for a year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=augustiniak;4355897]i think the problem with drafting ducasse in the 2nd is that he really needed 3 yrs to grow into the nfl and you can't afford to use a 2nd rounder on that type of developmental guy unless you're NE and you draft a qb to sit behind brady.

for a team that tends to trade up and burn picks,[B] then turn around and draft a guy who needed years of coaching to not get his qb killed was a poor decision by tanny.
    [/B]
    i'm at the point in this draft where i don't care which positions they take in which rounds, as long as they get clear-cut starters with their first 3 picks. whether its ingram or a RT or wr or olbs or S, they can't draft guys with the intention of sitting them for a year.[/QUOTE]

Now it looks like it! It's easy 2 yrs out to say that..But at the time, as it was pointed out, his draft value was right were he was picked...Lets also remember the lockout killed him more than any other player, except maybe Sanchez...Does that mean he becomes a player? We'll see this season.

As for getting starters for this season with picks in the 1st 3 rounds that's unfair, and primarily unrealistic. Picking mid-round--contribute? yes (depending on position)...Start? not necessarily.

What if they take an ILB to sit behind Bart for a yr..But he has excellent coverage skills to come in for Scott on passing downs.