Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mock off-season (A different look)

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Mock off-season (A different look)

I have read from a handful of sources that Keller is on the trading block. While Keller is one of my favorites, he certainly comes with his own faults, mainly blocking. With Sparano coming in we all know that this will now be a prototypical smash mouth offense. I will probably be killed for the following mock offseason but I'm looking at it from a salary cap point of view as well as schematics.

Cut/Release:

LaDanian Tomlinson RB
    Kevin O'Connell QB
    Mark Brunell QB
    Plaxico Burress WR
    Bart Scott LB
    TJ Conley P

Re-Sign

Sione Pouha NT
    Jamal Westerman LB
    Aaron Maybin LB
    Rob Turner C

Free Agents:

Vernon Carey OT- Sparano coached the guy in Miami and will be coming in on close to a vet minimum deal.

Oneil Cousins G/OT- Originally plays G but can swing to tackle. Strict depth signing.

Kellen Davis TE- 6'7" 262 lbs can catch and block. Underutilized in Chicago and is looking to start elsewhere.

Red Bryant DE- Guy is mammoth and stops the run as well as anybody. Bryant, Pouha, Devito on running downs is scary.

Michael Griffen S- Biggest splash in free agency for the Jets, but with the cap being so close to the max already, there is only room for one big signing.

Donnie Jones P- Could very well be somebody else to start the season with preseason cuts. Decent Net average.

Draft:

Trade Dustin Keller, 16th overall pick, and 4th round pick to STL for 2nd overall pick in the draft.

1: Robert Griffen III QB (Baylor) - The more I watch highlights on this guy, the more I like him. He has the maturity (which this team lacks) of a veteran in the league and the skills to match or even exceed (better pure passer) Cam Newton. With Sparano, there is an understanding that the OL will be the strength, which will give time to an accurate passer, but if protection breaks down can easily evade the rush and gain some yardage with his feet. It's time to grab the bull by the horns and get a franchise quarterback, not a game manager.

2: Vinny Curry OLB (Marshall) - Jets get their pass rusher in the second round. 23 sacks over the last two years at Marshall.

3: Bernard Pierce RB (Temple) - Smaller school prospect but has perfect size to be a running back at the next level 6' 218 lbs. Not a burner but is quicker than he is fast. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zFmI3rFjlJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4: Traded

5: Bradley Sowell OT (Ole Miss) - Played LT at Ole Miss, only allowing 2 sacks all season. Over four year career is credited with over 50 pancake blocks.

6: Dale Moss WR (South Dakota State) - Very raw prospect out of South Dakota State, 6'4" but has a basketball background and tremendous leaping ability. Just under 1,000 yards in his first season of college football and 6 TD's.

7: Donovan Richard S (South Carolina St.) - Big hitter with speed and good height for a S (6'1").

Not to mention that we may get a few supplemental picks this year with the free agents we let walk last year.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan110 View Post
    Draft:

Trade Dustin Keller, 16th overall pick, and 4th round pick to STL for 2nd overall pick in the draft.

1: Robert Griffen III QB (Baylor) - The more I watch highlights on this guy, the more I like him. He has the maturity (which this team lacks) of a veteran in the league and the skills to match or even exceed (better pure passer) Cam Newton. With Sparano, there is an understanding that the OL will be the strength, which will give time to an accurate passer, but if protection breaks down can easily evade the rush and gain some yardage with his feet. It's time to grab the bull by the horns and get a franchise quarterback, not a game manager.
    I don't see any chance that STL only takes Keller and our 16th. My guess is they will get a #1 this year and a #1 next year... plus.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    First off, I don't think that trade up would be enough. Second there is no way you give up on Sanchez. He is getting his first chance under a new OC. If he doesn't show progress, next year is the year to get a QB again. I think Curry is going to shoot up the draft boards, which is why I think drafting a DE/OLB at 16 is imperative. The drop off by the time we pick again will likely be immense.

Rookie
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have read from a handful of sources that Keller is on the trading block. While Keller is one of my favorites, he certainly comes with his own faults, mainly blocking. With Sparano coming in we all know that this will now be a prototypical smash mouth offense. I will probably be killed for the following mock offseason but I'm looking at it from a salary cap point of view as well as schematics.

Cut/Release:

LaDanian Tomlinson RB
    Kevin O'Connell QB
    Mark Brunell QB
    Plaxico Burress WR
    Bart Scott LB
    TJ Conley P

Re-Sign

Sione Pouha NT
    Jamal Westerman LB
    Aaron Maybin LB
    Rob Turner C

Free Agents:

Vernon Carey OT- Sparano coached the guy in Miami and will be coming in on close to a vet minimum deal.

Oneil Cousins G/OT- Originally plays G but can swing to tackle. Strict depth signing.

Kellen Davis TE- 6'7" 262 lbs can catch and block. Underutilized in Chicago and is looking to start elsewhere.

Red Bryant DE- Guy is mammoth and stops the run as well as anybody. Bryant, Pouha, Devito on running downs is scary.

Michael Griffen S- Biggest splash in free agency for the Jets, but with the cap being so close to the max already, there is only room for one big signing.

Donnie Jones P- Could very well be somebody else to start the season with preseason cuts. Decent Net average.

Draft:

2: Vinny Curry OLB (Marshall) - Jets get their pass rusher in the second round. 23 sacks over the last two years at Marshall.

3: Bernard Pierce RB (Temple) - Smaller school prospect but has perfect size to be a running back at the next level 6' 218 lbs. Not a burner but is quicker than he is fast. <iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/zFmI3rFjlJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

5: Bradley Sowell OT (Ole Miss) - Played LT at Ole Miss, only allowing 2 sacks all season. Over four year career is credited with over 50 pancake blocks.

6: Dale Moss WR (South Dakota State) - Very raw prospect out of South Dakota State, 6'4" but has a basketball background and tremendous leaping ability. Just under 1,000 yards in his first season of college football and 6 TD's.

7: Donovan Richard S (South Carolina St.) - Big hitter with speed and good height for a S (6'1").

Not to mention that we may get a few supplemental picks this year with the free agents we let walk last year.
    Really?!?! come on now. If you dont like Sanchez and don't think we get a OLB at 16 (Ingram, Upshaw, Merculis?) make a more realistic pick, cuz the jets have no interest in that. Pick Richardson if that's the case. Vinny Curry doesn't fall, if he somehow does, i love that pick.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crossfire View Post
    I don't see any chance that STL only takes Keller and our 16th. My guess is they will get a #1 this year and a #1 next year... plus.
    No way in hell STL would take that trade. They're in a position to draft a blue-chipper right now at 2. We'd have to throw in another 1 and possibly 2 to get them interested in dropping down to 16.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    You lost me at Griffin....there is no way, and no need, to do it.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Cut/Release:

LaDanian Tomlinson RB
    Kevin O'Connell QB
    Mark Brunell QB
    Plaxico Burress WR
    Bart Scott LB
    TJ Conley P

Re-Sign

Sione Pouha NT
    Jamal Westerman LB
    Aaron Maybin LB
    Rob Turner C

Free Agents:

Draft:

1: Robert Griffen III QB
    (Baylor) - The more I watch highlights on this guy, the more I like him. He has the maturity (which this team lacks) of a veteran in the league and the skills to match or even exceed (better pure passer) Cam Newton. With Sparano, there is an understanding that the OL will be the strength, which will give time to an accurate passer, but if protection breaks down can easily evade the rush and gain some yardage with his feet. It's time to grab the bull by the horns and get a franchise quarterback, not a game manager.

Your gonna have to throw in Sanchez as well. No way what you mention is enough to get there and this year has proven the Rams will need a decent backup Qb. Not sure giving up on MS is the best thing to do but RGIII is a special kind of player that can transform a team for the next 12-14 years.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    pretty sure b/c of his restructuring last offseason, all of Barts Scotts money is guaranteed for this year. doesnt make any sense to cut him if it's all dead money.

oh yeah, westerman is hot garbage.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    First of all, no way we move up to #2 overall for that cheap of a price.

Second, if we were going to move up for a QB, then why not just go the extra mile and get the best QB prospect since Elway?

I like Griffin, but he's not on the same planet as Andrew Luck. Griffin isn't even a better prospect than Cam Newton was last year. Luck is the best QB prospect in the last 25+ years.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    First of all, no way we move up to #2 overall for that cheap of a price.

Second, if we were going to move up for a QB, then why not just go the extra mile and get the best QB prospect since Elway?

I like Griffin, but he's not on the same planet as Andrew Luck. Griffin isn't even a better prospect than Cam Newton was last year. Luck is the best QB prospect in the last 25+ years.
    He is not even better than this guy.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvLqV7tmZDs

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    I

Draft:

If the Jets think Sanchez is all he will be and RGIII will be a true franchise QB I am OK with the Jets doing what needs to be done to get to 2. However your trade is really light. Here is what it would take:

1600 points from 16 to 2. Figure Keller is a 2nd round trade value, that's 420 points. Our 2nd is 420. Next years one is maybe 500. We are still short, so would need to do something like our 3rd for their 4th and 2nd and fifth rounders next year.

So with Keller:

Jets: Keller, 2012 first, second and third round picks, 2012 first 2nd and fifth
    St louis: 2012 first and fourth round picks

Not very realistic.

Scenario 2: The Jets are not guaranteed to keep Revis next time. Now Revis' value is ridiculously high as the best defensive player in football. He is probably worth more than the franchise tag so figure 2 1sts and a second

So 1600 points again: Revis value 1000 +420 +190 =1610 if you consider one of the 1s from this year but St Louis will argue both should be 2013 1s so 1010. They would likley wind in the middle and declare Revis 1200. There would be a lot of back and forth so it would wind up something like:

Jets: Revis, 2012 first, second and third rounders, 2013 fifth
    St Louis 2012 first, fourth, fifth 2013 fourth

Not sure I would do that trade, but it would be good value for both sides. But it would take that much.

If the Jets did that, they would likely trade Sanchez and Keller for additional picks in the 2012 draft

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I dont get the obsession with Griffen really. He looks OK but nothing great. He could excel as a pocket passer but will need a lot of coaching. He isn't the physical QB Cam was so his up side is much lower. He actually reminds me a lot of Sanchez. I wouldn't take him in the top 5. I said the same thing of Sanchez for what it is worth.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the responses to the thread. I understand that there is a .1% that this type of trade would even happen and I would be the first to admit that I am not totally up to speed about the values of draft picks etc.

It still aggravates me beyond belief that the Jets traded up for a GAME MANAGER in Mark Sanchez. I believe that if Mr. T had the cojones to trade up for Robert Griffen III it would be a trade for an elite type talent who could carry a team.

The chances of excelling in the playoffs without a blue chip qb are slim and I'm sick of sitting around watching this team play with a handicap (even the last two years when they made it to the AFC Championship) at the QB position. Peyton Manning would be a waste, he's a shell of himself. The defense isn't getting any younger and out best playmaker won't shut up and play with our QB as it is.

They are saying that Rex and Mr. T will be on the hot seat this year since the implosion at the end of the year. I don't see a single pass rusher elevating this team to being a contender again. A QB makes or breaks your team.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    No I realized what you did here so wasn't going to bash it. Really though if we trade up to get a QB it would be Luck. I think that would have to include a package with at least 3 viable players. Maybe Greene, DeVito, and Wilson plus our next 2 1st and maybe a 2nd or 3rd. I wouldn't put that by Tanny at all. Griffen just reminds me too much of Sanchez. I can't see the point in dropping Mark to get his equal.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    No I realized what you did here so wasn't going to bash it. Really though if we trade up to get a QB it would be Luck. I think that would have to include a package with at least 3 viable players. Maybe Greene, DeVito, and Wilson plus our next 2 1st and maybe a 2nd or 3rd. I wouldn't put that by Tanny at all. Griffen just reminds me too much of Sanchez. I can't see the point in dropping Mark to get his equal.
    Dreamers, I appreciate the feedback, and thank you for not bashing me upside the head with this (kind of) crazy post.

I just don't see the comparison to Sanchez at all. RG III's pocket awareness alone is leaps and bounds better than Sanchez', if you hear any of his teammates talk the number one thing they continue to say is his leadership ability and if a play breaks down he has the elusiveness of a running back and toughness of an H-Back. I just love the potential he has and think he will be special and lead whatever team is lucky enough to get him to multiple playoff runs.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dreamers, I appreciate the feedback, and thank you for not bashing me upside the head with this (kind of) crazy post.

I just don't see the comparison to Sanchez at all. RG III's pocket awareness alone is leaps and bounds better than Sanchez', if you hear any of his teammates talk the number one thing they continue to say is his leadership ability and if a play breaks down he has the elusiveness of a running back and toughness of an H-Back. I just love the potential he has and think he will be special and lead whatever team is lucky enough to get him to multiple playoff runs.
    What they say a QB will do before the draft, and what he does in the NFL are two different things

Mark Sanchez (QB)
    Height: 6'2"
    Weight: 227
    College: USC
    Conference: Pac 12
    Hometown: Mission Viejo, CA
    High School: Mission Viejo
    Featured Prospects
    Selected by: New York Jets
    Round: 1
    Pick (Overall): 5 (5)

Pick Analysis: In an aggressive move, the Jets pick up their quarterback of the future in Sanchez. Although the former Trojan only recorded 16 starts in college, he is regarded as the quarterback prospect with the biggest upside due to his superior arm strength, accuracy and leadership skills. With extensive experience in the West Coast offense, Sanchez is in line to be the Jets' starting quarterback on opening day.

Analysis

Positives: Ascending talent whose intangibles for the position are just as impressive as his physical tools. Cerebral player. Reads defenses well and rarely throws into coverage. Goes through his progressions quickly and takes what the defense gives him. Recognizes the blitz very well for a player of his experience and often targets the weak link on defense when blitzed. Good setup and a smooth over-the-top delivery. Legitimate NFL arm strength. Capable of making every NFL throw, including the deep ball. Rather than relying on pure arm strength as some of the other highly touted passers of the 2009 class do, however, Sanchez combines good velocity with rare anticipation, especially for a player of his limited experience. Consistently releases his passes before his receivers have made a break, giving the defense little time to react. Distributes the ball all over the field. Good short, medium, and long-range accuracy. Consistently places his passes where only his receiver can get it and throws a very catchable ball. When healthy, showed very surprising mobility for his size. Can evade the pass rush and will scramble if the defense gives free yards. Rare accuracy on the rollout. Squares his shoulders and can fire the ball with consistency and accuracy. Team captain. Blue-collar work ethic. Father, Nick Sanchez, is a fire captain in Orange Country, Calif.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would we move up to 2? the only teams in the top 10 that might want a QB IMHO will be Wash, Miami and possibly Cleveland (altough I think they'll give McCoy another year to see if he improves).

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish we could get this guy in that video thats who we need
    for QB, and that beast from arizona name Bufict. now those
    two people would look good in green and white.

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TechJet View Post
    I wish we could get this guy in that video thats who we need
    for QB, and that beast from arizona name Bufict. now those
    two people would look good in green and white.
    Agreed we need LB's if we want to have an elite defense, and burfict might be the guy if Ingram/upshaw are taken