Enjoy an Ads-Free Jets Insider - Become a Jets Insider VIP!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 74

Thread: Wilkerson left off Kiper's top 20

  1. #21
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilkerson is a solid player who shows alot of promise. Jets fans can make their own assumptions. Who cares what Kiper says.

  2. #22
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,841
    Post Thanks / Like
    very happy with how wilkerson played.

    jets had to pick goholston there, no one else was worthy. would of been reaches at the time

  3. #23
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Manhattan, NY
    Posts
    9,407
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post

    There is one thing both Gholston and Sanchez had in common. Their draft stocks both skyrocketed after the season was over. Gholston was a late first rounder/early second rounder before the combine. Sanchez has followed the path of a lot of QBs over recent years where people don't think all that highly of them in January/February and then they shoot up the draft board as April comes around (see Alex Smith).
    I don't know why people think that about Gholston. I've found multiple mocks from January 2008 and all of them have Gholston gone by 15.

    http://nflmocks.com/2008/01/22/2008-mock-draft-20/ Gholston @ 6
    http://voices.yahoo.com/2008-nfl-moc...51.html?cat=14 Gholston @ 5
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...ft-first-round Gholston @ 6
    http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...ock-draft-v-1/ Gholston @ 10
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...c.php?t=195756 Gholston @ 6

    http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=767131 Gholston Ranked Mid-Late 1st round

    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=160444 (Average board Rankings, 1/3/2008) 13th.


    The idea that Gholston came out of nowhere is a fallacy. He had a monster junior year at Ohio State, by the end of January, even before the combine, he was a common pick for the Jets @ #6.

  4. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    5,656
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    very happy with how wilkerson played.

    jets had to pick goholston there, no one else was worthy. would of been reaches at the time
    Disagree, Mayo would have been the better pick a versatile LB with decent speed.

  5. #25
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,519
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCJETS View Post
    Disagree, Mayo would have been the better pick a versatile LB with decent speed.
    he would have been the safer pick. the jets went with upside and lost.

  6. #26
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I don't know why people think that about Gholston. I've found multiple mocks from January 2008 and all of them have Gholston gone by 15.

    http://nflmocks.com/2008/01/22/2008-mock-draft-20/ Gholston @ 6
    http://voices.yahoo.com/2008-nfl-moc...51.html?cat=14 Gholston @ 5
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...ft-first-round Gholston @ 6
    http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...ock-draft-v-1/ Gholston @ 10
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...c.php?t=195756 Gholston @ 6

    http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=767131 Gholston Ranked Mid-Late 1st round

    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=160444 (Average board Rankings, 1/3/2008) 13th.


    The idea that Gholston came out of nowhere is a fallacy. He had a monster junior year at Ohio State, by the end of January, even before the combine, he was a common pick for the Jets @ #6.
    Thanks Batman

    The combine may have solidified Gholston as a top 10 pick, but there was plenty of talk of that possibility well before Indy.

  7. #27
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCJETS View Post
    Disagree, Mayo would have been the better pick a versatile LB with decent speed.
    Unless you are drafting Patrick Willis, taking an ILB in the top 10 is borderline insane.

  8. #28
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,841
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCJETS View Post
    Disagree, Mayo would have been the better pick a versatile LB with decent speed.
    an ILB with the 6th pick, not likely

  9. #29
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,519
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    an ILB with the 6th pick, not likely
    aj hawk

  10. #30
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    aj hawk
    Which just proves our point.

    Definitely not worth the #6 pick.

  11. #31
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,519
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Which just proves our point.

    Definitely not worth the #6 pick.
    yes. but in the jets case if they truly believed there was a 30% chance gholston would be great and a 70% chance he'd bust like he did, whereas they had other guys they could take who had a much lower bust rate, i think you may have to go with lower ceiling guys.

  12. #32
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    I don't know why people think that about Gholston. I've found multiple mocks from January 2008 and all of them have Gholston gone by 15.

    http://nflmocks.com/2008/01/22/2008-mock-draft-20/ Gholston @ 6
    http://voices.yahoo.com/2008-nfl-moc...51.html?cat=14 Gholston @ 5
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/8...ft-first-round Gholston @ 6
    http://blog.chron.com/fantasyfootbal...ock-draft-v-1/ Gholston @ 10
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB...c.php?t=195756 Gholston @ 6

    http://nfldraft.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=767131 Gholston Ranked Mid-Late 1st round

    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=160444 (Average board Rankings, 1/3/2008) 13th.


    The idea that Gholston came out of nowhere is a fallacy. He had a monster junior year at Ohio State, by the end of January, even before the combine, he was a common pick for the Jets @ #6.
    Maybe I am wrong, but a lot of mocks had him lower. I only remember because I was against drafting him when people thought the Pats would draft him. I knew I referenced several credible mocks that had him a low first/early second. Maybe it wasn't universal believed though as I remembered.

    I never got the infatuation with him. I felt he was mostly effective at the bull rush in college and you aren't successful at the bull rush as your signiture move unless you are bigger than Gholston is.

  13. #33
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    18,209
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    yes. but in the jets case if they truly believed there was a 30% chance gholston would be great and a 70% chance he'd bust like he did, whereas they had other guys they could take who had a much lower bust rate, i think you may have to go with lower ceiling guys.
    Fair point.

  14. #34
    Jets Insider VIP
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,696
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCJETS View Post
    Wilkerson is a solid player who shows alot of promise. Jets fans can make their own assumptions. Who cares what Kiper says.
    And has Kiper said anything contrary to that?

  15. #35
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,519
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Fair point.
    i read once something about belichick's drafting philosophy. the analysis basically said that he would rather 'hit doubles' in the first round and not swing for the fences and miss. then he'd take more chances in the later rounds. probably explains why he loves all those picks in later rounds. costs too much money and sets franchises back when you take guys like gholston and ducasse.

  16. #36
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    1,398
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    an ILB with the 6th pick, not likely
    But the Jets could have outmaneuvered the Pats and made a trade with New Orleans to drop to 10 (the Pats traded with NO to move down to 10 to draft Mayo). Granted the Pats could have taken Mayo at 7, but word was the Pats were targetting Mayo and wanted to take him lower than the 7th pick. They actually were rumored to want to trade down to 13-16 range to draft him, but couldn't find a taker to trade again.

    Again, hindsight is 20/20. Tannenbaum and Mangini could have thought Gholston was a grand slam home run pick and would have traded up to get him.

  17. #37
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,154
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wilk had a solid season. However, I still think 5 technique DE is not a position you draft in the 1st round. We needed then and still need an elite pass rusher

  18. #38
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Ormond Beach, Florida
    Posts
    12,648
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GMCJETS View Post
    Wilkerson is a solid player who shows alot of promise. Jets fans can make their own assumptions. Who cares what Kiper says.
    AGREED!

  19. #39
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    But the Jets could have outmaneuvered the Pats and made a trade with New Orleans to drop to 10 (the Pats traded with NO to move down to 10 to draft Mayo). Granted the Pats could have taken Mayo at 7, but word was the Pats were targetting Mayo and wanted to take him lower than the 7th pick. They actually were rumored to want to trade down to 13-16 range to draft him, but couldn't find a taker to trade again.

    Again, hindsight is 20/20. Tannenbaum and Mangini could have thought Gholston was a grand slam home run pick and would have traded up to get him.
    I dont know if anybody wanted to trade up to that spot.

    Also about the safe pick, it was probably because we had David Harris that we didn't draft Mayo. We felt pretty secure at ILB. We needed a pass rusher and Gholston had the most upside as a pass rusher.

  20. #40
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    11,252
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    Wilk had a solid season. However, I still think 5 technique DE is not a position you draft in the 1st round. We needed then and still need an elite pass rusher
    All of the "elite" pass rushers were gone. I don't count Brooks Reid as elite.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us