Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Wilkerson left off Kiper's top 20

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    Gholston was a combine jumper. He was a freak of nature in the combine and he jumped. Before that, the knock on him was that he took plays off and people questioned his football desire.
    As Batman showed us, many sites had him top 10 before the combine. No doubt the combine solidified that, but this notion that he was a bottom third first round pick or even 2nd round pick before the combine is simply not true.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I dont know if anybody wanted to trade up to that spot.

Also about the safe pick, it was probably because we had David Harris that we didn't draft Mayo. We felt pretty secure at ILB. We needed a pass rusher and Gholston had the most upside as a pass rusher.
    Well, the Saints did trade for the pick after the Jets. So it does stand to reason, that they would have considered an offer to move to the Jets' spot.

With the Jets being in a 3-4, Harris would only secure one position. The Jets were forced to go with converted DE, David Bowens, as the starter next to Harris. He was ok at best. The next year the Jets paid a hefty sum to Bart Scott to be the ILB next to Harris. I agree OLB was a need, but so was ILB.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    All of the "elite" pass rushers were gone. I don't count Brooks Reid as elite.
    I still think other positions trump the 5-technique DE in Rd 1 (i.e. WR, OL, S).

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    I still think other positions trump the 5-technique DE in Rd 1 (i.e. WR, OL, S).
    Looking at the draft selections, there was no real safety prospect after that. Maybe Sherrod at OT, especially what happened with Hunter, but other than that...

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by suprjet View Post
    What if that 5 technique has a career like Richard Seymour?

Wilkerson was 6'4 315 coming out of a relatively small school. No reason to think he can't eventually play at an athletic 325 which is a huge asset to any defense. He has quickness and the ability to play inside and out, which gives us the flexibility to line up someone like maybin (small) next to him.

I can see him having 6-8 sacks a year, and being exceptionally strong against the run for us, which is exceptional production from the 30th pick.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by fivewide View Post
    Nicely done.

Haven't watched that YouTube video in awhile. The crazy loud "we want Sapp chants" followed by the Jets select Tight end from Penn State Kyle Brady is surreal.
    that part always makes me cry.

Hall Of Fame
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why do Jet fans need everybody's approval of their players? Who cares what Kiper says.

Truth is Wilk was bad the first half of the season and really began to play well in the second half as he learned and got more experience. He did a lot of dirty work and did not rack up stats.

Wilk will be fine.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm more shocked that people even still bother reading Kipers thoughts.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    Gholston was a combine jumper. He was a freak of nature in the combine and he jumped. Before that, the knock on him was that he took plays off and people questioned his football desire.
    That is simply wrong, and hindsight. Gholston was in the top 10 of the draft well before the combine. He put up great numbers at OSU and played that leo position. It was considered a no brainer pick with McFadden and Ryan off the board.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PMarsico9 View Post
    Listening to Kiper about anything lowers your IQ.

The guy gets paid to speculate about something he has no idea about and is nearly always wrong.
    Never liked Kiper. Occassionally he has some noteworthy insights, most of the time though when he has the spotlight he and his hair go into beast mode

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's absolutely unbelievable he would have guys like Sam Nacho, A.J Wright, and Alex f___cking Henerey as honorable mentions without mentioning Big Wilk.

Shows his years at ESPN have warped his football brain to include only players at "impact positions". What a farce. And yet he still includes Phil Taylor probably by virtue of the one lucky interception and "highlight" return he had.

I don't think I can ever take Kiper seriously anymore. I might be a huge Jets homer but anyone objectively who knows football would put a rookie who started every game and put up decent-to-good numbers as one of the top 30 rookies. Can't even feel like this is a "snub", this is more of an embarassment by Mellie.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    All of the "elite" pass rushers were gone. I don't count Brooks Reid as elite.
    Glad you know all about Brooks and whereof you speak. His name is spelled "Reed".

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh great look who's back.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mel Kiper Jr. clearly didn't even look at the Jets' roster when making this top 20.

Not putting Wilkerson on this list just means you don't take anything he says as seriously as you used to.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    Mel Kiper Jr. clearly didn't even look at the Jets' roster when making this top 20.

Not putting Wilkerson on this list just means you don't take anything he says as seriously as you used to.
    ...which means I take it as a complete joke.

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    He was 3rd in the NFL in TFL'S, pretty impressive stat. In comparison, Justin Smith, probably the best 3-4 DE in the NFL had 2, Wilkerson 9.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    He was 3rd in the NFL in TFL'S, pretty impressive stat. In comparison, Justin Smith, probably the best 3-4 DE in the NFL had 2, Wilkerson 9.
    No, that doesn't matter. I'm sure that....Alex......Henery.....had a great year compared to what Wilkerson did.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    all of the Top 10 players on Kipers rookie list ARE monsters and Wilk does not belong in that group.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    all of the Top 10 players on Kipers rookie list ARE monsters and Wilk does not belong in that group.
    Come on, dude. We're talking top 20, and then he doesn't even mention him on in the honorable mention portion. Wilkerson had a better rookie season than a lot of those players.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't consider either Gholston or Sanchez blunders because they both were in very weak drafts for their respective positions. Especially Gholston. That 2007 draft was very weak in the first round after Matt Ryan. A total of 7 pro-bowlers in 3 years service whereas in 2009 there are 6 pro-bowlers in 2 years service.

Plus a lot of people wanted us to go with Gholston, so it wasn't a typical Kyle Brady blunder.

As for Mark Sanchez, I can't see any reasonable alternative that would have gotten us better. Maybe if we picked up Jay Cutler, but he would have been risky in this media market.

Ducasse I will give you though.
    I can't quote Magnus because he is on my ignore list, but seriously, he needs to acquire a new hobby. It seems his M.O. is to knock Sanchez or find anti Sanchez stuff and post it on this board. This thread was about Wilkerson and he brings up Sanchez again.

Memo to you Magnus. WE ALL KNOW YOU DON"T LIKE SANCHEZ. The ones that agree with you do not need to be reminded. The ones that don't agree with you don't care about what you post on the subject because your arguments are not very compelling. Get over it already and move on.