Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wilkerson left off Kiper's top 20

Wilkerson left off Kiper's top 20

Yet another media snub for the Jets, Mel Kiper left Wilkerson off his list of top 20 rookies from last years draft. He didn't even make the honorable mention list that included Roy Helu, Phil Taylor, Pernell McPhee and Doug Baldwin.

The guy started every game, and while he didn't put up gaudy sack totals, had an excellent season for anyone who understands football. What a huge slight by Kiper.

Jets Insider VIP
    Unglamorous position I guess.

Regardless, Wilk had a very promising season and I think he will be a quality starter for quite some time.

He played at a consistent level for his position, nothing ground-breaking but with the lock-out all rookies were at a disadvantage.

I believe he's going to really break-out in his 2nd year.

Mel Kiper knows less about NFL/College players than the casual fan. All his top draft picks turn out to be busts, he doesn't know ****.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post
    Yet another media snub for the Jets, Mel Kiper left Wilkerson off his list of top 20 rookies from last years draft. He didn't even make the honorable mention list that included Roy Helu, Phil Taylor, Pernell McPhee and Doug Baldwin.

The guy started every game, and while he didn't put up gaudy sack totals, had an excellent season for anyone who understands football. What a huge slight by Kiper.
    Yet Kiper did say post draft Wilkerson was a great pick at #30. Its not like he is now calling him a bust

Mel Kiper’s Analysis:
    The Jets needed help at both defensive end spots up front in their 3-4, and did a great job adding talent with their first two picks. Wilkerson could be one of the bigger steals of the first round, a player I maintain is a 2012 top-10 pick who was a really good value in 2011. He is a load at nearly 320 pounds, capable of taking on blocks and causing problems in the backfield. Ellis also is a good player, a dominant player against average competition who could respond well to Rex Ryan's coaching. Kerley fills a need for depth at wideout. McElroy might be a really good backup quarterback for the Jets. You want a backup who knows the playbook, and that won't be a problem for the him. The Jets didn't have the picks to find an outside linebacker who can help, and that's a need they'll need to address in free agency.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...mmad-wilkerson
    Last edited by C Mart; 02-02-2012 at 02:57 PM.

Can you post his list? If Helu and Baldwin are honorable mentions, then there probably are 20 guys who had a better year than Wilkerson. If the Jets made the playoffs and/or were ranked better defensively, then I would say that Wilkerson does not get overlooked.

Its obvious to me right now that the Jets don't understand what the draft is all about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

he didn't put up stats and that's what gets noticed if you're a dl.

1. Cam Newton (Panthers) | Draft Position: 1
    The amazing thing about Newton wasn't just how much he developed, but how much he developed between his final college game and his first NFL game. He destroyed the rookie passing yardage mark with 4,051 yards, had a positive TD-INT ratio and was the second-highest rusher among rookies. He's a passer first, with the profile of a certain superstar.

2. Von Miller (Broncos) | Draft Position: 2
    Fewer sacks than the next man on the list, but was a complete linebacker and still managed 11.5. Good from day one, was slowed by injury but still made the Pro Bowl. He'll be a regular there.

3. Aldon Smith (49ers) | Draft Position: 7
    I saw Smith as a potential star, but more in the Jason Pierre-Paul mode, where he'd need a little developmental time. But give the Niners credit: With Justin Smith and Ray McDonald occupying on the inside, they gave Smith the perfect space to blow up early on the edge. He piled up a rookie-high 14.5 sacks. He's a major talent teams have to plan around.

4. A.J. Green (Bengals) | Draft Position: 4
    With 1,057 yards, 7 TD catches and plenty of highlights, Green is already a dangerous No. 1 option at wide receiver, and was invited to Hawaii. Will only get better and will continue to grease the wheels for the success of a fellow rookie.

5. Andy Dalton (Bengals) | Draft Position: 35
    He came in with a lot of experience -- Dalton is five months older than Matthew Stafford -- but still was remarkably steady and poised as a rookie. He had nearly 3,400 yards passing, a solid 20-to-13 TD-INT ratio and a playoff start in his first year. Dalton has the potential to become a Pro Bowl passer.

6. J.J. Watt (Texans) | Draft Position: 11
    A key to the leap Houston made on defense under Wade Phillips, Watt was as advertised, playing exactly as Houston had hoped within its scheme. I mentioned Justin Smith, and Watt profiles as that type of player, occupying blocks while still getting to QBs from the inside. He did just that 5.5 times as a rookie and was terrific in the postseason.

7. Patrick Peterson (Cardinals) | Draft Position: 5
    Worked through some rough edges as a cover corner, but Peterson's talent still shined, particularly in the return game, where he already can't be punted to. His cover skills have improved, and he's a field position nightmare. A star, with a Pro Bowl invite already.

8. Jabaal Sheard (Browns) | Draft Position: 37
    A versatile, solid pass-rusher who piled up 8.5 sacks while showing a mature approach. The Browns really strengthened their defensive line with their first two picks in 2011.

9. Julio Jones (Falcons) | Draft Position: 6
    Precisely the home-run threat the Falcons envisioned when they traded so much to get him, his catches went for 17.8 yards on average. He had 989 receiving yards, and might already cause more matchup problems for defenses than Roddy White.

10. Richard Sherman (Seahawks) | Draft Position: 154
    He didn't start immediately, but he did get 10 total, and played at what I consider a Pro Bowl level for the second half of the season, helping to galvanize a suddenly very impressive Seattle secondary. He's long at 6-foot-3, and can battle against big wideouts.

11. Stefen Wisniewski (Raiders) | Draft Position: 48
    Started all 16 games and provided great work on the interior of that line. A solid regular with Pro Bowl potential for years to come.

[+] Enlarge
    Matthew Emmons/US Presswire
    DeMarco Murray showed his potential before getting hurt.
    12. Tyron Smith (Cowboys) | Draft Position: 9
    Dropped only because he was drafted for left tackle and developed this year on the right side, Smith got better every game and could become an elite blindside tackle if he continues at this rate. Still extremely young.

13. Marcell Dareus (Bills) | Draft Position: 3
    Has the potential to become an elite defensive tackle as Buffalo transitions to the 4-3. Loaded with talent and potential, he managed 5.5 sacks in 2011.

14. Ryan Kerrigan (Redskins) | Draft Position: 16
    In a year when Kerrigan was learning to play a new position, he played it very well. Now an outside linebacker, he showed his usual relentlessness and picked up 7.5 sacks. Not overly gifted as an athlete, but the motor makes up for it.

15. DeMarco Murray (Cowboys) | Draft Position: 71
    Would have easily surpassed 1,000 yards if not for an injury, Murray started just seven games (played in 13) and still managed 897 yards. He also proved he's a threat to break off big runs. If he's healthy, could get starter reps for Dallas in 2012.

16. Adrian Clayborn (Bucs) | Draft Position: 20
    He wasn't fully healthy during his final year at Iowa, and showed more explosiveness in his first year on Sundays. Managed 7.5 sacks, and with improvement could become a Pro Bowl DE.

17. Mike Pouncey (Dolphins) | Draft Position: 15
    Not at a premier position, but justified his high draft slot with a steady season in which the Miami run game improved.

18. Torrey Smith (Ravens) | Draft Position: 58
    Ended up with a similar load for the Ravens as Anquan Boldin (Boldin had 105 targets, Smith 95), but more than twice the TD catches, and was clearly the deep threat on a very good team. Impactful season.

19. Justin Houston (Chiefs) | Draft Position: 70
    He gets some credit because he's another guy who had to convert systems, and played really well down the stretch for an underrated Kansas City defense. With 5.5 sacks in his last five games, he could bust out in 2012.

20. Greg Little (Browns) | Draft Position: 59
    Not a statistical monster, with 61 catches and 709 yards, but consider the load he took on. Little had 47 more targets than any other Browns player, and 20 more catches.

In the mix: Nate Solder, Phil Taylor, Pernell McPhee, Doug Baldwin, Karl Klug, Brooks Reed, Mason Foster, Sam Acho, Kendall Hunter, K.J. Wright, Roy Helu, Dan Bailey, Alex Henery

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post
    Its obvious to me right now that the Jets don't understand what the draft is all about.

Nicely done.

Haven't watched that YouTube video in awhile. The crazy loud "we want Sapp chants" followed by the Jets select Tight end from Penn State Kyle Brady is surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bravo View Post

They need to add Gholston, Sanchez, and Ducasse.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    They need to add Gholston, Sanchez, and Ducasse.
    I don't consider either Gholston or Sanchez blunders because they both were in very weak drafts for their respective positions. Especially Gholston. That 2007 draft was very weak in the first round after Matt Ryan. A total of 7 pro-bowlers in 3 years service whereas in 2009 there are 6 pro-bowlers in 2 years service.

Plus a lot of people wanted us to go with Gholston, so it wasn't a typical Kyle Brady blunder.

As for Mark Sanchez, I can't see any reasonable alternative that would have gotten us better. Maybe if we picked up Jay Cutler, but he would have been risky in this media market.

Ducasse I will give you though.

Quote Originally Posted by Eckesg1 View Post
    I don't consider either Gholston or Sanchez blunders because they both were in very weak drafts for their respective positions. Especially Gholston. That 2007 draft was very weak in the first round after Matt Ryan. A total of 7 pro-bowlers in 3 years service whereas in 2009 there are 6 pro-bowlers in 2 years service.

Plus a lot of people wanted us to go with Gholston, so it wasn't a typical Kyle Brady blunder.

As for Mark Sanchez, I can't see any reasonable alternative that would have gotten us better. Maybe if we picked up Jay Cutler, but he would have been risky in this media market.

hard to call a qb a bust who scored over 30 tds last year. how many teams in the past 20 yrs have drafted qbs in the first round who'd love to have had a yr like that, despite a crappy RT and team turmoil. gholston never showed he beloned on an nfl field and ducass isn't far away from that distinction.

Quote Originally Posted by eaglenj View Post

not a snub, wilk was a rookie and not top 20 last year...he had a promising rookie campaign but not top 20.

I don't know. David Harris and Jerod Mayo would easily be the best ILB duo in the league right now (all due respect to Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman). The Jets could have had Mayo over Gholston. The ILB position next to Harris was a position of need, maybe more so than an OLB since the Jets added Calvin Pace in free agency that year.

There is one thing both Gholston and Sanchez had in common. Their draft stocks both skyrocketed after the season was over. Gholston was a late first rounder/early second rounder before the combine. Sanchez has followed the path of a lot of QBs over recent years where people don't think all that highly of them in January/February and then they shoot up the draft board as April comes around (see Alex Smith). I agree the QB class of 2009 sucked overall (it was Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, and a bunch of nobodies).

I also agree that 2008 was devoid of a lot of good pass rushers, but (I know hindsight is 20/20) the Jets could have had Mayo in the first round and Cliff Avril in the third in 2008 (granted so could the Pats). The Jets' starting LB corp would have been this year Avril, Harris, Mayo, and Pace.
    Last edited by Rob0729; 02-02-2012 at 04:01 PM.

At the time.....it was right where all the "experts" had Ducasse.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mart View Post
    Most draft sites had Ducasse going were he was taken

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...r=2010&genpos=

http://www.mockingthedraft.com/2010/...asse-nfl-draft

CBNY had him alittle lower (remember Jets didn't have a 3rd rounder in '10)
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ers/56957.html

Mayock discusses local NFL prospects
    We mentioned Vladimir Ducasse from UMass, who some people have in the first round. I have him in the second round. And then there are some teams out there who thinks hes too far away as a starter and have him in the third or fourth round. But hes an exciting player, born in Haiti, plays his football at UMass.

http://itiswhatitis.weei.com/sports/...dimir-ducasse/

and many other comments here....including Gil Brandt

03/30/2010 - PRO DAY RESULTS: It's rare for someone to learn about football in high school and a few years later become an elite pro prospect, and it's even rarer for someone garnering first-round consideration to come from UMass. Well, OT Vladimir Ducasse has managed to do both. The 6-foot-4 5/8, 331 pounder is likely to go in the second round, or perhaps even late in the first round, and is well on his way to bucking the odds for someone with his limited football background. At the Minutemen's pro day, which was held on March 25 outdoors on FieldTurf, Ducasse had a 27-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot, 8-inch broad jump, a 4.72-second short shuttle, a 7.87-second three-cone drill and did 28 bench press repetitions at 225 pounds. He stood on his NFL Scouting Combine time in the 40-yard dash. He worked out for the Raiders individually the day before the pro day. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/p...rchive/1251194
    http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/ne...eply&p=4355828

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post
    I don't know. David Harris and Jerod Mayo would easily be the best ILB duo in the league right now (all due respect to Patrick Willis and NaVorro Bowman). The Jets could have had Mayo over Gholston. The ILB position next to Harris was a position of need, maybe more so than an OLB since the Jets added Calvin Pace in free agency that year.

There is one thing both Gholston and Sanchez had in common. Their draft stocks both skyrocketed after the season was over. Gholston was a late first rounder/early second rounder before the combine. Sanchez has followed the path of a lot of QBs over recent years where people don't think all that highly of them in January/February and then they shoot up the draft board as April comes around (see Alex Smith). I agree the QB class of 2009 sucked overall (it was Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman, and a bunch of nobodies).

I also agree that 2008 was devoid of a lot of good pass rushers, but (I know hindsight is 20/20) the Jets could have had Mayo in the first round and Cliff Avril in the third in 2008 (granted so could the Pats). The Jets' starting LB corp would have been this year Avril, Harris, Mayo, and Pace.
    You can say that about any team and any draft.

Jets Insider VIP
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0729 View Post

Solid post overall but the bolded part is simply untrue. Gholston was a projected top ten pick a few months into the college season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Solid post overall but the bolded part is simply untrue. Gholston was a projected top ten pick a few months into the college season.
    Gholston was a combine jumper. He was a freak of nature in the combine and he jumped. Before that, the knock on him was that he took plays off and people questioned his football desire.

Listening to Kiper about anything lowers your IQ.

The guy gets paid to speculate about something he has no idea about and is nearly always wrong.