Thread: Chandler Jones DE/OLB(?) Syracuse

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like

Chandler Jones DE/OLB(?) Syracuse

So Mayock put this guy on the map yesterday as his 5th best DE. He was given a 3rd round grade by THE BOARD according to a tweet by Pauline from DraftInsider/SI/otherstuff. Some people are throwing out JPP comparisons and predictions, but you HAVE to figure that's due to him having similar height/weight/conference to a player that is Hansel (so hot) right now.

Anyway, he's a big dude for sure at 6'5" 265, and he's very fast off the snap. Those two things stand out immediately. In 7 games this year he threw up 7.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, an INT, a couple FF, 3 QB hurries, and 2 passes broken up. For his college career he had 10.5 sacks, 27.5 TFL, 6 PD, 5 FF, and 9 QB hruries over three seasons for Syracuse.

Seeming plusses and minuses since this is a player where there's much to learn...:

Plusses -

* NFL Size
    * FL Length
    * Straight line speed
    * Lots of TFL
    * Athleticism
    * Despite injury shortened season he filled out his stat line.

Minuses -

* Raw
    * Sack production not as high as you want.
    * Missed games to injury this year.

Definitely someone to watch out for the rest of the way.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is he related to Arthur Jones?

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Yeah there brothers n there's a third brother named Jon Jones n he's the light-heavyweight MMA champ right now

Jets Insider VIP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Maury77 View Post
    Yes, and there is another brother in the MMA.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think he goes bottom of the first round to the Ravens

Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    So Mayock put this guy on the map yesterday as his 5th best DE. He was given a 3rd round grade by THE BOARD according to a tweet by Pauline from DraftInsider/SI/otherstuff. Some people are throwing out JPP comparisons and predictions, but you HAVE to figure that's due to him having similar height/weight/conference to a player that is Hansel (so hot) right now.

Anyway, he's a big dude for sure at 6'5" 265, and he's very fast off the snap. Those two things stand out immediately. In 7 games this year he threw up 7.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks, an INT, a couple FF, 3 QB hurries, and 2 passes broken up. For his college career he had 10.5 sacks, 27.5 TFL, 6 PD, 5 FF, and 9 QB hruries over three seasons for Syracuse.

Seeming plusses and minuses since this is a player where there's much to learn...:

Plusses -

* NFL Size
    * FL Length
    * Straight line speed
    * Lots of TFL
    * Athleticism
    * Despite injury shortened season he filled out his stat line.

Minuses -

* Raw
    * Sack production not as high as you want.
    * Missed games to injury this year.

Definitely someone to watch out for the rest of the way.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm more interested in whitney mercilus. He sounds awesome. Hope the jets make their best educated choice between him and Ingram.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Much ado about Nothing View Post
    Yes, and there is another brother in the MMA.
    That's a hell of a set of genetics in that family. Here is a video of Jon Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_EHjfIgnm4

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes... He's Bones Jones' brother. And he was already on the map.

I wouldn't mention so much of Arthur Jones... Thought he was going to bust and think he'll be out of the NFL in 3 years. His best case scenario was hanging around as a backup.

Anyway, Chandler is extremely athletic very much like Bones so I'm absolutely interested. I haven't sat there yet and watched each of these guys in several games yet though so I don't have an educated opinion but I'm very happy a lot of the pass rushers that could go around where we pick happen to be in the senior bowl.

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Yes... He's Bones Jones' brother. And he was already on the map.

I wouldn't mention so much of Arthur Jones... Thought he was going to bust and think he'll be out of the NFL in 3 years. His best case scenario was hanging around as a backup.

Anyway, Chandler is extremely athletic very much like Bones so I'm absolutely interested. I haven't sat there yet and watched each of these guys in several games yet though so I don't have an educated opinion but I'm very happy a lot of the pass rushers that could go around where we pick happen to be in the senior bowl.
    Well, Arthur was getting some playing time for the Ravens in the AFCCG... I think hes gonna stick around...

All League
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Megalomaniac View Post
    I'm more interested in whitney mercilus. He sounds awesome. Hope the jets make their best educated choice between him and Ingram.
    Mercilus looks like he's on fire out there. He's a madman

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    how did jones do in the senior bowl yesterday? I missed it.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    would be kind of awesome if we got Ingram in the first and Jones in the second (or even third). havent seen anybody agree with mayock though....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    yeah I was just looking at this guy as my #5 4-3 DE. I have Cam Johnson as a slightly higher prospect but he looks good.

Veteran
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamers View Post
    yeah I was just looking at this guy as my #5 4-3 DE. I have Cam Johnson as a slightly higher prospect but he looks good.
    could be wrong, but i think we play 3-4....

All Pro
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    could be wrong, but i think we play 3-4....

Who is talking about us? The tag is about a 4-3 DE. So Mayock put this guy on the map yesterday as his 5th best DE. You think Mayock is talking 3-4? I don't.