Thread: Mark Barron

Mark Barron

Mark Barron to the Jets is getting a lot of love recently. Both Kiper and McShay have us taking him and most the others have us taking him.

Interesting.

Jets Insider VIP
    I personally don't understand it.

Yeah, we could use some safety help, but Barron isn't that great of a talent to be taken at #16. That's just way too high IMO.

Let's be honest, both safety spots are arguably the least important positions on defense. They're safety valves. I'm not taking a safety that high in the draft unless I believe he has Polamalu/Reed/Taylor potential which I most certainly don't think Barron does. Everyone wants to find the player to shut down the Gronkowski's of the league, but that player simply doesn't exist. There isn't a safety in the league who can erase a guy like Gronk.

To me the most logical way for the Jets to go is either OL or OLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

Yeah, we could use some safety help, but Barron isn't that great of a talent to be taken at #16. That's just way too high IMO.

Let's be honest, both safety spots are arguably the least important positions on defense. They're safety valves. I'm not taking a safety that high in the draft unless I believe he has Polamalu/Reed/Taylor potential which I most certainly don't think Barron does. Everyone wants to find the player to shut down the Gronkowski's of the league, but that player simply doesn't exist. There isn't a safety in the league who can erase a guy like Gronk.

Agree that you're not gonna find a Gronkowski stopper in any draft. The only way you're going to contain him is by jamming at the line and then bracketing.

But can Barron contain a guy like Hernandez? I think that is a better question. We know Revis can handle Welker, so if you can have someone control Hernandez, then you can devote all your attention towards doubling Gronk.

I'd only be upset if we took Barron if someone amazing (a la Richardson) or someone at a more critical position (Ingram, Upshaw) were available.

Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

instead of the jets drafting someone to stop someone else, why don't they draft someone who can create mismatches for other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    instead of the jets drafting someone to stop someone else, why don't they draft someone who can create mismatches for other teams.
    A 6'2" 220 safety as smart, athletic, and experieced as Barron is might affect how teams work against us.

Barron is such an underrated option for us if he works out well...Rex loves his DBs and Barron is a good one. I mean come on the main knock on him around here is that hes not Reed or Polamalu, decade veterans with HOF credentials. Those guys went in the teens and twentys...and it's not as if Troy P was blessed with super flexible hips and He was not considered a strong cover guy.... Still isn't....never has been.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 02-05-2012 at 02:21 PM.

at 16 there will be at least one LB, RT or top level WR available. Outside of that or possibly Richardson there isnt anybody we should be talking about.

If we trade down 10 or so spots and take Barron, id be okay with that.

Quote Originally Posted by nycuse View Post
    at 16 there will be at least one LB, RT or top level WR available. Outside of that or possibly Richardson there isnt anybody we should be talking about.

If we trade down 10 or so spots and take Barron, id be okay with that.
    Dude anyone would love to trade down and grab an awesome player. What's so important about WR or RT that better QB play wouldn't significantly improve the perception?

Now a good DE/LB? Sure. The other two? Depends conpletely on the player. No one is going to make Eric Smith look better without dropping him on the depth chart. Plenty of guys can look good at WR Or RT if Sanchez ever gets his act together or they call upon the Manning.
    Last edited by Much ado about Nothing; 02-05-2012 at 03:24 PM.

when every analyst has us taking a particular guy, that means there is a 100% chance we don't take him